EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times lately, the gauges will dim on their own. Today, it was overcast and the headlights had come on automatically. Suddenly, the gauges dimmed like they had been turned off. I played with the dimmer control/knob and eventually they came back on.

My question: would you lean towards a bad dimmer switch or bad gauges?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
A few times lately, the gauges will dim on their own. Today, it was overcast and the headlights had come on automatically. Suddenly, the gauges dimmed like they had been turned off. I played with the dimmer control/knob and eventually they came back on.

My question: would you lean towards a bad dimmer switch or bad gauges?
I would think a bad dimmer switch, with the rheostat shorting out, or better yet is the bubble/dome sensor on the top of the dash center clean or dirty, or have anything laying over or IN it to trick it into thinking it was nighttime out?

·
Registered
140 Posts
During day light, the gauge lighting is set fairly bright to overcome any sun light and reflections. When the head lights come on, the dash lights will reset to the brightness level you have set with the control knob at the switch. If it is set low the dash lights will dim as yours did. If adjusting the control brought the lights back up to where you like them then things are working as designed. If not, it could be a bad switch control or sensor as suggested above.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sensor is clean. When the lights went out/got dim, the dimmer control wouldn't bring them back up. After twisting the crap out of the dimmer knob, the lights finally came back up. That made me think it was probably the dimmer switch but there was a thread about someone losing some of their gauge lights a while back so I thought I'd check.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Well, I guess it is the dimmer switch after all. Are you going to change it out, MONK?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I can afford one. Looks like they're integrated into the headlight switch and about $80. I've got it all the way up now and it seems to be ok. Bright but ok. No big deal. I've got sunglasses. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
MONK
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing