1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
314 Posts
No flattery like imitation, but if it's from Ford the Kuga will probably be cramped. Years ago Ford discovered that women were the primary purchase decision-makers. Since then they've tended to tailor interiors for female proportions rather than for genders of all sizes.

But, as the Times video shows, increasingly stretched-out cat's eye headlights are starting to look very dated; someday they may reach all the way back to the taillights :eek:hno:. Remember when women's glasses frames were meowish in the 1950s and quickly morphed into fuel for comedians? (Okay, not all remember firsthand, but everybody sees them secondhand in movies because they look so tasteless and silly in retrospect. :ack:)

Speaking of Ike's era, Buick buffs may recall the 1954 or 1955 convertible, perhaps the Skylark, that had fully exposed rear wheel cutouts sporting chromed real wire wheels -- not hubcaps. In silver this has to be one of the top ten most beautiful American cars ever made. :love:

BTW, you can still get "I Like Ike" stickers at the Eisenhower Museum in Abilene KS!

·
Registered
314 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Thanks for the tip on Ike. I was a teenager gopher in setting up a rally for Ike in 1952 during the campaign.

We took our first visit to Doylestown in November, driving the Enclave, and really enjoyed the Mercer Museum and surrounding quaintness. We were in Philadelphia doing family research. :thumb:
Where were you with Ike's 1952 campaign? :pickme: I met him, along with his laid-back crew of buddies, in Denver that summer. The only one rushing about doing tireless work was a grim-faced Nixon!

Yep, Doylestown is really pleasant, particularly in the borough ("downtown"); we have an old stoney former farm about 20 minutes away. We just got back from Barbados, but it's always great coming back to Central Bucks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like the look of the Volvo XC 60. It's much more refined than the 90 imo. Kuga is a strange name to say. I bet they change that once marketed in the US.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting stuff, 2MuchCoffee, and thanks hugely. The "Ike mafia" has thinned out greatly, alas, so it's great to run across yet another veteran of that 1952 campaign.

By the bye, I saw Taft speak in the Senate the following summer, and he was in terrible physical condition. Our biases aside, it was a godsend that Ike cinched the campaign. BTW, his grandson David and Nixon's daughter Julie live quietly near here, although I don't know them; too, his granddaughter Susan lives in Philly and is backing Obama as I recall!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey guys,

Don't let Buick know your ages. They are trying to lower their age demographic with the Enclave. As an Ike era newborn, I don't help the stats much either.

Press

1 - 7 of 7 Posts