EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2009 Enclave CXL AWD in October of 2018. It had 118k miles on it. After a timing chain for $2,200 @120,049K miles (GM denied my reimbursement despite the extended warranty), the transmission hard shifting into first, replacing the IR for the DVD, fixing the rocker/pcv issue causing excessive oil in the intake, the DVD console erroring out on pristine DVDs (console replacing being around $1,000)and a known issue by GM, Park service assist every time it rains (more annoying than you might think, and expensive to fix), trunk lid not automatically closing, almost every time, I dumped that hunk of junk. Took a bath, but good riddance. Hold onto your GM junk at your own peril, my lesson was learned.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm at 140K miles and about $5,000 + into repairs that no other vehicle including GMs I have owned have ever needed. When the odometer turns 100, run! Run like the wind!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought my 2009 Enclave CXL AWD in October of 2018. It had 118k miles on it. After a timing chain for $2,200 @120,049K miles (GM denied my reimbursement despite the extended warranty), the transmission hard shifting into first, replacing the IR for the DVD, fixing the rocker/pcv issue causing excessive oil in the intake, the DVD console erroring out on pristine DVDs (console replacing being around $1,000)and a known issue by GM, Park service assist every time it rains (more annoying than you might think, and expensive to fix), trunk lid not automatically closing, almost every time, I dumped that hunk of junk. Took a bath, but good riddance. Hold onto your GM junk at your own peril, my lesson was learned.
Im not here to defend GM. They are one of many car companies that have problems with there product.You must do your homework. Don't buy a first or second year run of anything. I had an 09 Traverse LTZ, first year run. I had many many problems. 7 years 77000 miles. Never let the warranty lapse, so the costs were not bad. Bought a 15 Enclave Premium AWD, Used with 5000 miles 18 months old. What, 7or 8 years after the first year run. After 3 years and 30000 miles, not one trip too the dealer. So you can hate GM and thats ok with me. But some of the blame is yours for not doing your homework. I will stick with my E, it is far from junk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not here to defend GM or Ford or any other brand but I do want to bring about some awareness......
For every person on a GM forum that says that they are glad to escape the GM's, there are just as many people on a Ford (just as an example) that say they are glad that they escaped the Ford's.....
I'm members of various brand forums so that I can try to do my homework on various brands before I buy......
Here is a website of some interest.....
carcomplaints.com.....
I did a comparison between the Chevy Traverse and the Ford Explorer because they are basically the equivalent of the same type of vehicle built by two of the largest U.S. auto manufacturers.....
Here's the site for the Chevy Traverse (and I used the Traverse because it's essentially the same vehicle as the Buick Enclave and the GMC Acadia....
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Traverse/
This compares from 2009 to 2019 and these are complaints posted by genuine vehicle owners....
If you scroll across each colored graph it will show you the actual number of complaints submitted by each owner.....
and here's the comparison for the Ford Explorer.....
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/
and by looking at the chart at face value, it looks like the Fords complaints are way lower but if you scroll over each colored graph, it will again show you the actual number of complaints submitted by individual owners....
Just for an example I'll use the 2017 year because that happens to be the year of my Traverse.
For the 2017 Traverse there are 3 complaints submitted and for the 2017 Explorer it shows that there are 47 complaints submitted.
And....as the last webpage to look at......the top 20 worst vehicles listed based on the number of complaints submitted by actual owners.....
https://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/
So....take this info for what it's worth....
and I wish you the best in your next vehicle purchase.....

·
Registered
402 Posts
That car complaints thing is pointless because it doesn't take into account how many vehicles were sold. #1 on the list, the 2002 Ford Explorer. Hmm... I wonder what the best selling SUV was in 2002? Oh, thanks google:
The Explorer’s dominance in 2002 was complete: its nearest rival, the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, was 184,279 sales back of the Ford. In other words, the Explorer sold 74% more often than the next-best-selling SUV.
Know why the Accord and Camry made that top 20 list? Not because they have a lot of problems but because they've been the #1 and #2 selling cars in the US forever.

To look at it another way, what a shock, the Ferrari F355 didn't make the list of top problem cars. In reality it's probably the least reliable modern Ferrari ever made but hey, according to carcomplaints.com it must be reliable. Didn't even make their top 20!

Bottom line if you're buying a used car with over 100k miles you're probably going to have a bad time and end up on a forum somewhere complaining about the manufacturer. No one wants to admit that instead of the 2009 Enclave with 118k miles they should have bought a 2009 Equinox with 20k miles and a warranty because they would have been about the same price and the latter was actually within your budget. Next time don't start with the car you want and keep pushing the age, miles and lack of warranty out until it fits your budget. Start with your budget, set reasonable max age/miles/warranty and then find a vehicle that works for you that fits in those parameters. Then when you start saying, "Well, if I went just a couple years older or with about 50-80k more miles I could move up into X" remember threads like this and go, "nah, that's gonna turn out bad".

·
Registered
956 Posts
That car complaints thing is pointless because it doesn't take into account how many vehicles were sold. #1 on the list, the 2002 Ford Explorer. Hmm... I wonder what the best selling SUV was in 2002? Oh, thanks google:

Know why the Accord and Camry made that top 20 list? Not because they have a lot of problems but because they've been the #1 and #2 selling cars in the US forever.

To look at it another way, what a shock, the Ferrari F355 didn't make the list of top problem cars. In reality it's probably the least reliable modern Ferrari ever made but hey, according to carcomplaints.com it must be reliable. Didn't even make their top 20!

Bottom line if you're buying a used car with over 100k miles you're probably going to have a bad time and end up on a forum somewhere complaining about the manufacturer. No one wants to admit that instead of the 2009 Enclave with 118k miles they should have bought a 2009 Equinox with 20k miles and a warranty because they would have been about the same price and the latter was actually within your budget. Next time don't start with the car you want and keep pushing the age, miles and lack of warranty out until it fits your budget. Start with your budget, set reasonable max age/miles/warranty and then find a vehicle that works for you that fits in those parameters. Then when you start saying, "Well, if I went just a couple years older or with about 50-80k more miles I could move up into X" remember threads like this and go, "nah, that's gonna turn out bad".
Well Put......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
dzs3fz
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing