EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Buick Enclave CXL FWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced or know if there was something I could have done while in my vehicle that would cause it to automatically lock the doors, horn chirp and flights flash as though I used my key fob to lock it? I had taken it to a mechanic for an estimate to get my catalytic converters changed and removed all personal belongings before going. When I got home, I was putting my belongings back and when closing the door, it was as though someone used the remote to lock it. My concerns are due to just purchasing it and having issues with the dealership I got it from. I’ll leave out all specifics, but we may have to file a lawsuit and the owner (it’s a small LLC that sells used cars, not a certified Buick dealership) is beyond livid. When we purchased it, he stated he only had 1 key and 1 remote. As soon as my vehicle locked, I went inside and grabbed my keys and fob, then noticed a suspicious vehicle sitting in front of my home. We live in a secluded area where we look out for our neighbors. The vehicle seen that I seen them, then turned into a neighbors driveway, idled to the back of that property, turned around and was slowly leaving. I started recording, so they left. I don’t know if I’m being paranoid, if there was anything I could have done to cause the vehicle to lock that way. When hitting the lock button inside, it doesn’t make the horn chirp or lights blink like it does when locked by the remote. So, I’m wondering if this was simply a glitch, if anyone knows if there was something I could have possibly done to cause that or if I need to be worried about someone programming a universal fob to gain access to my vehicle. I also spoke with the property owner of the driveway they pulled in and they don’t know anyone with the vehicle (Jeep) that was suspiciously creeping. He said no-one was supposed to be at that property (he doesn’t live there. Just purchased it because we have tons of wildlife, so bought it for hunting). I questioned other neighbors and no-one has ever seen that vehicle on our road. But if this has happened to others, I won’t be as concerned, while still being on alert of a possible thief, despite living in a place with almost no criminal activity.

·
Administrator
440 Posts
I don't know how the settings work in the 2009, but on mine, there is a setting to have the doors lock automatically when the last door is closed. There is also a setting to have the horn blow and flash the lights. Try closing the door again without hitting the lock button. If it happens again, check your settings.
If not, it is possible that the place you bought it from, or the prior owner has the other fob. That would be a concern and the Jeep you saw would be a strange coincidence. It wouldn't be a bad idea, in that case, to file a police report.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T
I don't know how the settings work in the 2009, but on mine, there is a setting to have the doors lock automatically when the last door is closed. There is also a setting to have the horn blow and flash the lights. Try closing the door again without hitting the lock button. If it happens again, check your settings.
If not, it is possible that the place you bought it from, or the prior owner has the other fob. That would be a concern and the Jeep you saw would be a strange coincidence. It wouldn't be a bad idea, in that case, to file a police report.
Thank you. I only noticed the vehicle when I returned to my vehicle with my remote and key to see if I could figure out what I did to cause it to automatically lock. I do know the dealership owner purchased it from bought it out of state. I have the last 4 or 5 title transfers, the only person who privately owned it lives in a different state. It was sold to 2 other dealerships before being auctioned, which is where the dealership I got it from purchased it. Because of my location, the only police with jurisdiction to come here would be state police or the sheriffs department, the sheriffs department is a 45 minute drive. I will request extra patrol from our sheriff. Because crime is rarely an issue, they don’t typically have someone patrolling our area. While I couldn’t find a reason for it to lock, I didn’t think of trying with my keys inside my home. I will do that and see if I can recreate it.

·
Administrator
440 Posts
From your original post, it sounds like the door locked as soon as you closed it. What I meant was to close the car door without locking it. If it locks by itself, check the settings. If it didn't lock by itself, then it is possible that you accidently hit the fob button.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your original post, it sounds like the door locked as soon as you closed it. What I meant was to close the car door without locking it. If it locks by itself, check the settings. If it didn't lock by itself, then it is possible that you accidently hit the fob button.
My fob was inside my home, in my purse in our kitchen. Only my husband and our toddler was home at the time, it wasn’t in my toddlers reach and my husband was across the home, there is no way possible he did it. I’ve never had any issues with buttons sticking, which is something that did happen with my fob for my Pontiac. But yes, when I closed the door is when it locked, chirped and lights flashed. I had left my purse inside while bringing out a small container that I had put my personal belongings in (car charger, box of spare fuses, just a few things I keep in my glovebox and console). My husband works in the city where the dealership is located. It’s on a very busy street and it’s only businesses. He had to pass by it and did see the Jeep that matches what I got on video, but it wasn’t at the dealership, it was parked on the road just a few yards from it. I have video from my phone along with video from surveillance cameras saved. Unfortunately, I did not capture the license plate and the surveillance footage can’t zoom in enough to see the plate number. I’m going to see if he can pass by and get the plate number from the one that is parked right by the dealership so we can find out if it’s registered to him or his employees (it’s a family business). What was supposed to be such an exciting time has turned into a nightmare. I don’t think I would ever be willing to purchase a used vehicle again after this. At least not from a small LLC dealership. This was my first time purchasing used. We had to upgrade to a vehicle with more seating due to having another child. I lost my job when Covid hit, so we weren’t in the position to buy new because of the price. Now that all of this has happened (not just the suspicious vehicle, but the lawsuit we have to file) I’m incredibly discouraged. Despite it being an 09, I love how this vehicle drives. I’m doing my best to separate the feelings over this experience from how I feel about the actual vehicle. So disappointing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am a retired Land Rover technician so I can't speak for Buick, but I would think they (Buick) would have the same technology. If you take your Enclave to an authorized Buick dealer or call them for information, they should be able to look at the BCM (Body Control Module) and tell you how many key fobs are currently programmed to the vehicle and unprogram or delete any fobs that you don't have possession of. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a retired Land Rover technician so I can't speak for Buick, but I would think they (Buick) would have the same technology. If you take your Enclave to an authorized Buick dealer or call them for information, they should be able to look at the BCM (Body Control Module) and tell you how many key fobs are currently programmed to the vehicle and unprogram or delete any fobs that you don't have possession of. Good luck.
I can’t thank you enough for that info! I did some digging tonight and the seller is nothing more than a scam artist. I wouldn’t put anything past him. This was a hard lesson, but definitely learned the importance of getting the carfax.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Cant remember which it is.
But if you tap the lock button once it chimes, then when the last door closes, 5 seconds later, it honks and locks door.
Double tap, and it locks all doors right away....

Reactions: MandyS9

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure on the 2009 but on our 2011 we lost one of the fobs. Purchase another one and had the 2 programmed to the car. We found the other one and it would not work once we had programmed the other 2. So had to take it back and the programmed all 3 of them at the same time so they all work. May want to get another fob and have the 2 programmed together and it will eliminate any other ones out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts