EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please build my Enclave before reducing production!

I read the following article at CNN today.

GM to eliminate third shift at Landsing plant
About 1,000 workers could find themselves unemployed. 'A temporary measure,' cautions the auto maker.
October 22 2007: 4:08 PM EDT

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors will end a third shift by the end of the year at its assembly plant near Lansing and lay off about 1,000 workers, the company said Monday.

The plant, which makes the Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia crossovers, has been operating on three shifts to meet initial demand for the new products, said company spokesman Tom Wickham.

"We said at the beginning this would be a temporary measure," said Wickham, who added that GM (Charts, Fortune 500) is trying to manage its inventory to keep enough vehicles on dealer lots without having so many that discounts would be needed to sell them.

The plant, in suburban Delta Township, has enough flexibility on the remaining two shifts that it can produce enough vehicles to satisfy demand, Wickham said.

GM moves back ahead of Toyota
"Demand is not slackening," Wickham said, adding that the Enclave is sitting on dealer lots only for a couple of weeks.

The plant, which employs about 3,300 hourly workers, makes the crossover vehicles, which are built on car platforms and are more efficient and maneuverable than truck-based sport utility vehicles.

Employees were told of the layoffs on Monday. The company said 510 low-seniority full-time workers and 497 temporary employees would be laid off. Wickham would not say whether the third shift could be reinstated.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
what they havent even met the demand for the enclave yet and if they arent making them to dealer lots then they arent going to stay for very long obviosely(bad spelling!)

That is going to make me mad!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :help: :eek:hno:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I feel everyone's pain waiting for their order to arrive.

The dealer told my Dad that they have stopped production on CXL's -- we're picking up his CXL tomorrow. Short supply of parts/components for the CXL. When you check the production info, it shows that CXL's are now in the same category as the LUX package, delaying orders anywhere from 2 to 4 more weeks with standard delivery quoted as 8 to 12 weeks -- and this, of course, is having a dealer with an allocation that can get your order accepted and in line with others across the country.

It sure doesn't appear likely that supply is going to catch up with demand anytime soon -- so for those waiting on the sidelines thinking that you're going to get in on some wonderful promo or rebate, it sure doesn't look like that will happen in the near future.

This is somewhat good news to me in that it will likely help the Enclave hold its resale value -- as opposed to having Buick flood the market with Enclaves and everyone that paid dearly for theirs sees a huge loss. It would be nice to get a decent trade-in or private party sales price for our when we're ready for Enclave Version 2.

·
Registered
509 Posts
desgnconcpts said:
I feel everyone's pain waiting for their order to arrive.

The dealer told my Dad that they have stopped production on CXL's -- we're picking up his CXL tomorrow. Short supply of parts/components for the CXL. When you check the production info, it shows that CXL's are now in the same category as the LUX package, delaying orders anywhere from 2 to 4 more weeks with standard delivery quoted as 8 to 12 weeks -- and this, of course, is having a dealer with an allocation that can get your order accepted and in line with others across the country.
True. Here's one of the latest:

http://www.donlen.com/production_cars_gm.asp

CXL, White Diamond, and Luxury Package are all hold-ups...just TOO popular ;)

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
There could be a couple of factors driving the 3rd shift elimination. While the Enclave is in short supply, there seems to be an ample supply of Acadias and Outlooks. Even though the Enclave is in great demand, there is a shortage of some parts to build it. By not flooding the market, it will help maintain the resale value of all Enclaves.
Unfortunately, this could result in longer lead times for those waiting for an Enclave.

·
Registered
80 Posts
MRBUICK said:
There could be a couple of factors driving the 3rd shift elimination. While the Enclave is in short supply, there seems to be an ample supply of Acadias and Outlooks. Even though the Enclave is in great demand, there is a shortage of some parts to build it. By not flooding the market, it will help maintain the resale value of all Enclaves.
Unfortunately, this could result in longer lead times for those waiting for an Enclave.
I drove past a Saturn dealer yesterday and they had an overflow lot. There must have been a minimum of 30 Outlooks on that lot. Now it could be that it is a temporary lot before they move on to other dealers or that is for a fleet order.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Other news accounts all seem to be abridged versions of this story from the Lansing State Journal:
http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071023/NEWS01/710230334/1001/news

This story mentions another (labor related) possible reason for the pullback; I could add that GM also might want to control its exposure to claims for unemployment benefits. Also, November - December has never been noted for high-volume, high-quality production at auto plants.

That said, I agree with MRBUICK. Enclave is an upscale, high style, high feature, high price lambda; its targeted customers want fully-loaded CXLs, and GM and its dealers want the markup associated with them. But apparently they don't have enough components (premium paint, articulating headlights, powered steering columns, perforated leather seats, rear center consoles, whatever) available to build them with! They might as well shut down the third shift until they can actually build the Enclave dealers/buyers want to buy and they want to sell. Apparently two shifts are sufficient to build enough Outlooks, Acadias, and CX Enclaves to accommodate most fleet and consumer buyers. So Saturn dealers are fine, and Buick/Pontiac/GMC combo dealers can sell fully-loaded Acadias (with HUDs!) off the lot to any impatient customers.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Question for someone with autoplant experience:
Might the soon to be laid off workers lower the standards of work, get sloppy or even do a little mischief to production betweent the time the layoffs are announced and they lose their jobs?
years ago I talked with a GM employee who hated the company, owed allegiance only to the union and joked about deliberatly turning out poor workmanship.

·
Registered
12 Posts
REDCXL said:
Might the soon to be laid off workers lower the standards of work, get sloppy or even do a little mischief to production betweent the time the layoffs are announced and they lose their jobs?
years ago I talked with a GM employee who hated the company, owed allegiance only to the union and joked about deliberatly turning out poor workmanship.
:(MY UNDERSTANDING IS THERE IS A TIRE SUPPLY PROBLEM FOR THE CXL JEFF REICHARD REICHARD BUICK PONTIAC REMEMBER I HAVE 20 IN STOCK!

·
Registered
612 Posts
REDCXL said:
I had that thought.. but it was quickly replaced with another thought.. Maybe those with pink slips will try harder so they will get noticed by their foreman and picked up first when the third shift comes back -- so those lambdas will be the highest quality all year!..

..My Red Jewel CXL will be built right at the cutoff time so I hope I am right.. (and you are wrong!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
gbshuler said:
I had that thought.. but it was quickly replaced with another thought.. Maybe those with pink slips will try harder so they will get noticed by their foreman and picked up first when the third shift comes back -- so those lambdas will be the highest quality all year!..

..My Red Jewel CXL will be built right at the cutoff time so I hope I am right.. (and you are wrong!)
IM ROOTING FOR YOU TOO AND BECAUSE I HAVE MORE COMING ALSO

·
Registered
661 Posts
I will defer to the more positive outlook, and expect a very high quality auto in the near future!! :cheers:

G

·
well isnt most of the main work done by robot and comptuer anyway, enless they are being fired and have feeling i dont think we have much to worry about. except maybe a loose tire or seat, maybe a tv falling out of the ceiling, or maybe the engine falling out on the highway, nothing big , has happend before, o wait i was in a ford explorer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't think any of these are real concerns. Most of the build process is automated. Plus, they have QA checkpoints throughout the process. These people who are going to lose their job are still hoping to get back into the plant again someday, and won't risk doing something stupid that will prevent that. These plants open, close and changes shifts all of the time. The workers are used to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I posted this in another section before realizing it is already being discussed... If GM is playing politics with the Union because of the strike this is just plain wrong. There are too many people still waiting!!!

Have you seen this? I couldn't believe my eyes when I read it. When there are so many of us waiting months for GM to manufacture our cars they want to cut the third shift? Incredible. I keep seeing the marketing out there and yet they can't fulfill orders... :mad:

Guys, what do you think? We need to get some lobbying power and bombard GM/Buick with our complaints of long waiting times. I think if enough of us found a contact and let them know then perhaps at least we could be heard.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071024/NEWS03/710240338/1004/news

G

·
and more...

General Motors is making big waves at its Delta Township plant with a decision this week to eliminate the third shift. Some workers say it's a move that just doesn't add up. It's one of the busiest times of the day at GM's Delta Township plant, but shift change will soon change for good. GM plans to eliminate the third shift next month, laying off nearly 1,000 temporary workers. It's a move the company says is necessary to bring production in line with demand.

Tom Wallace, GM employee: "It's got everybody all riled up."

Workers like Tom Wallace aren't buying that explanation. They say they're working overtime, running shifts around the clock and even on Saturdays to make enough of the hot selling crossover vehicles produced at the Delta Twp. plant.

Tom Wallace: "If we can't build them with 3 shifts, how are we going to do it with 2 shifts?"

Now on the heels of a new contract and it's promise of a new era, these layoffs and the confusion surrounding them has some workers once again fearing for the future.

Tom Wallace: "You've seen depression set in, massive depression? That's pretty much what we've got in there. Everybody says, why the **** should I do the best I can do, I don't know if I'm going to have a job anymore or not. They pick you up then they beat you down."

A spokesperson for GM says the third shift was never intended to be permanent, it was only added to help launch the new Buick Enclave. GM says overtime is sometimes necessary to meet short term production goals, but insists long term sales forecasts don't justify a permanent third shift.

Source: http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=7263749

·
Registered
612 Posts
[UPDATE] GM eliminating 3rd shift at Enclave plant

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071107/BUSINESS06/71107022

GM to keep Lansing temps through holidays

November 7, 2007

BY BARBARA WIELAND
LANSING STATE JOURNAL

DELTA TOWNSHIP — Temporary workers at General Motors Corp.’s Lansing Delta Township assembly plant are being kept on past the holidays.
The workers were told by United Auto Workers union leaders today they will work through part or all of January while senior, permanent plant workers are in training.
That marks the second time the temps’ stays have been extended.

GM originally told the approximately 500 workers they would be cut after Thanksgiving, when the Detroit automaker plans to shut down its third shift at the Delta plant that makes the hot-selling Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook crossover vehicles.

Then, the workers were told they would be kept until Dec. 21.

Workers leaving the morning meeting at UAW Local 602’s union hall said GM and the UAW have agreed to waive a contract provision that would have made the temp workers permanent GM employees as of Jan. 1, 2008. The tradeoff is those workers will have paychecks and benefits through the holiday season and into January.

“It’s a case where you can’t do that much about it. You are a temp,” said Greg Tomasek, who has been working as a temporary employee for eight months.

Workers said they were briefed by Local 602 and UAW International officials. Local 602 President Doug Rademacher was in the meeting and could not be reached for comment.[/color]

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Re: GM extending 3rd shift at Enclave plant

Thank you for posting the update.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are they still having delays with production of the luxury pkg.? Anyone know? ???

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
debywebbi said:
Are they still having delays with production of the luxury pkg.? Anyone know? ???
The last time I looked, right after our Enclave was delivered to the dealer, the constraint had been lifted on the luxury package.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts