EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my order on 7/21. At that time I was told I was first on the list for the next allocation as GM had just filled one at the dealership. I check every few weeks and as of last week my dealership had 7 on order, with mine being the first. I went in today and was told by the sales manager that GM was sending them 2 cars. One was for the person 5th on the listed. He said it was because it was a bsic version and not th CXL AWD like I wanted. He also told me that GM was sending them another vehicle to have on the lot, that was not one of the remaining 6 people on the list. Now I realize I have a luxuy package which may be delaying mine, but others on the list do not. Why would GM send a stock vehicle instead of building one for customers that are patiently waiting at the dealership? You wonder why GM and other American car companies are doing poorly. I don't. It is all about Customer Service and that is something that Lexus and others have figured out. Lucky for me GMAC has offered to extend my current car on a month to month basis until my car comes in. Isn't that nice of them. :blob:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the vehicles are built in batches. The line is configured and supplied in a certain way. They can't have all the options available right there on the line because there's just no room. They're not Jack-in-the-box where they make it only after you order it. They try to fit people's order to the current schedule batch in addition to other requirements. Sorry, I know this is not the reasoning you're looking for and believe me I am on your side, but I also have to look at on a production sense.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GoBlue the vehicles that your dealer received are the result of the dealer using his/her allocation to have these vehicles produced. They chose to have a stock vehicle delivered over a customer ordered vehicle. This is a common practice but it is unfair to the customers that have placed an order and are waiting for their vehicle.

The dealer is playing games with you. Go to them tell them that you want the next allocation, that you want to be prioritized as priority 01 and that if you don't get your vehicle to at least status code 2000 that you want your deposit back and you will go to another dealership.

Once it is at status 2000 then it becomes a GM issue. At status code 1100 it is a dealership issue. Research more on this subject within these forums. Lots have already been discussed on this issue.

FlavaClav
From everything I have been able to read up on about the processing plant, they can produce on a production line mixed inventory and configurations. For instance a Red Jewel then a Goldmist or a CX bare bones then a CXL fully loaded. All vehicles are made to order. Each vehicle gets it parts pre-staged for the assembly line and the next vehicle in the line maybe a Enclave or a Acadia or even an Outlook but each vehicle has it's supporting parts waiting for it to roll down the line.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Go Blue:
We ordered our Enclave on 7/21 also. It seems like our dealer had an allocation for us sometime around the end of August.
We were told our Enclave was to be built the week of 9/10...we went into the dealership and they are saying it will be next Monday.
My husband seems to think the are screwing us around..but, he thinks that all the time. I asked for the status codes and he told me the only code left is "shipped"...whatever! I don't believe we had as many people waiting for theirs in front of us like you do though.
I hope you hear something soon!

·
Registered
317 Posts
FlavaClav said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the vehicles are built in batches.
AFAIK, this is not a true statement as far as final assembly goes. It IS true, however, if you're talking about the body shop -- where an entire batch of a certain color is painted. From my understanding of what I've read and seen in videos, the body shop will paint an entire group of one color -- and those will then be put in "inventory" and when your order hits the production floor (assembly), they will take your color Enclave's body out of the body shop inventory, put it on the line and then build it with your particular options.

As for what the dealer did, as comiccolec stated, the dealer is likely playing games with you -- and chose to have an Enclave built for his inventory -- instead of using an allocation to have your specific order built. We can't say that for sure because we don't know what he was allowed to order in the allocation slot he used -- for example, if you ordered the LUX package (which has been constrained to about 25% of all orders), he might have not been able to put your order in and instead simply ordered one for inventory. However, if that was the case, he could have come back to you and asked if you would be willing to drop a specific option so that he could get your order accepted and built. In all in how the dealers work with their customers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
comiccolec said:
FlavaClav
From everything I have been able to read up on about the processing plant, they can produce on a production line mixed inventory and configurations. For instance a Red Jewel then a Goldmist or a CX bare bones then a CXL fully loaded. All vehicles are made to order. Each vehicle gets it parts pre-staged for the assembly line and the next vehicle in the line maybe a Enclave or a Acadia or even an Outlook but each vehicle has it's supporting parts waiting for it to roll down the line.
Good, I stand corrected. I'm never the one to say I'm always right or know everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been on the GM ordering website with my dealer. I am highest priority. He showed it to me. He said I probably did not get mine because of lux package. He also claimed that stock vehicles are given to them regardless of how many customers have orders in with a particular dealer. I am not sure I believe this. I think he uses his allocation for stock and hopes that GM picks up the others. No way to know one way or the other. My problem is this is the car my wife wants and GM is willing to extend our current lease until it comes in. I also negotiated dealer invoice +500 dollars with all rebates coming back to me (currently Conquest rebate I can get because of my other car). That puts it 500 below invoice. I doubt I can get that from another dealer. So I am stuck waiting for GM to meet demand.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I think the more I read the less I think anyone truley understands this process including the dealers which apparently will say anything to serve their needs. Plan on waiting longer than you could imagine and you should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bsox - I agree with you. I am not sure anyone really understands GM, including GM and their employees. I will wait it out. The only thing that will make me change is if another dealer gets a sililar car in and I can make a deal or if UAW strikes, then I will choose another car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not saying that this is what happened but.....

The prioritization within the dealership online ordering system can be changed at anytime by the dealership. Showing you that your Status Code 1100 order is priority 01 does little good if you walk out the door and they change it back to priority 05 or some other number. If they knew you were coming or had a few minutes before they showed the screen to you then they might have changed yours to priority 01 just long enough to show you.

I saw this happen at a dealership that I have decided never to deal with again. Actually my friend was doing the ordering and I won't deal with them based on their experience.

Rule #1 - Car Salesmen have a sterotype because they have earned it. They make money by selling you whatever they can and doing anything to get another sale.
Rule #2 - Inform the dealership that you want and demand to be dealt with on an open, full disclosure basis and anything less will cause them to lose your buisness and the business of anyone you can talk to.
Rule #3 - Learn to think like a Car Salesman. Many websites have "a day in the life of a car salesman" stories from some enterprising reporter that exposes the games that the car dealerships play.
Rule #4 - Do your research up front, go prepared, don't get steered into a different car, one that is on the lot, more or less options, etc. Get what YOU want.
Rule #5 - Get everything in writing. Even when you ask for a status update get them to print the screen shot showing your status code. They can also provide a history report showing each step in the ordering process and when the status has changed.
Rule #6 - If one dealership won't do what it takes to EARN your business go somewhere else. Someone out there IS willing to EARN your business. Walking away is sometimes the best thing to do.
Rule #7 - It is a car. It is not the end of the world. It is not the most important thing in your life. If not this car then there are plenty of others to choose from.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
comiccolec said:
Not saying that this is what happened but.....

The prioritization within the dealership online ordering system can be changed at anytime by the dealership. Showing you that your Status Code 1100 order is priority 01 does little good if you walk out the door and they change it back to priority 05 or some other number. If they knew you were coming or had a few minutes before they showed the screen to you then they might have changed yours to priority 01 just long enough to show you.

I saw this happen at a dealership that I have decided never to deal with again. Actually my friend was doing the ordering and I won't deal with them based on their experience.

Rule #1 - Car Salesmen have a sterotype because they have earned it. They make money by selling you whatever they can and doing anything to get another sale.
Rule #2 - Inform the dealership that you want and demand to be dealt with on an open, full disclosure basis and anything less will cause them to lose your buisness and the business of anyone you can talk to.
Rule #3 - Learn to think like a Car Salesman. Many websites have "a day in the life of a car salesman" stories from some enterprising reporter that exposes the games that the car dealerships play.
Rule #4 - Do your research up front, go prepared, don't get steered into a different car, one that is on the lot, more or less options, etc. Get what YOU want.
Rule #5 - Get everything in writing. Even when you ask for a status update get them to print the screen shot showing your status code. They can also provide a history report showing each step in the ordering process and when the status has changed.
Rule #6 - If one dealership won't do what it takes to EARN your business go somewhere else. Someone out there IS willing to EARN your business. Walking away is sometimes the best thing to do.
Rule #7 - It is a car. It is not the end of the world. It is not the most important thing in your life. If not this car then there are plenty of others to choose from.
Wow, I know this wasn't written to me, but this is great advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will say on a more simple note (my friends think of me as quite simple), the best thing I have done through the years of buying cars, new or used, was to walk out and go home. I can't tell you how many times a phone call comes 2 hours later accepting the deal that they had earlier turned down. There are many options out there and they need your business. Nothing makes you feel better than going back and signing the deal that you wanted not what they wanted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts