EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a somewhat old topic, but I can't find any reference to anyone who has installed this on the Enclave to override the nav features so that you can use all the features while driving. As suggested I went to the Acadia forum and found a couple of guys who have done it, but pulling the dash apart on my 3 day old Enclave causes my stomach to flip flop. Has anyone done this on the Enclave and how does it work? Would a dealer do this for you or are they prevented by some law from doing so? I also not sure I want some 18 year old kid at Best Buy to rip my dash apart either. Both guys on the Acadia forum got defective products the first time they did it so they had to tear the dash apart twice :banghead: One guy said it only took him 10 minutes...Must have been a lot more brave than I.

Any help?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Though I've not worked on an Enclave, the general "pull apart" of the dash is not hard at all--and if you've seen any of the videos on the Lockpick site for other cars, it's REALLY simple. Should basically consist of unsnapping one big center overlay, then you're exposed to just the radio & HVAC and their attachments. Nothing to worry about, unless you go in with a jackhammer.

Things are made to be unsnapped without too much effort, in the case of an issue or wanting to replace something, and that's usually how most dashboards are constructed. Pretty basic:

That said, I would NEVER want someone at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. to do it, not because it's hard, but because it's completely unnecessary. And the same for a dealer, a lot of which might actually refuse to do it, because it's not an OEM part.

Really though, watch some of the different videos they have on the CoastalETech site when they're going into a dash, and how easy it is just to plug in, and put everything back where it should be--and you're set.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate this info (as well as the pics of the wind deflector). Your really helping me out, I will give the lockpick a serious look. Looking at the dash along with your pics, I think it looks quite doable. I suppose if I broke something on the trim piece I could easily get that replaced.

Still would like to hear from anyone with it installed... :cheers:

·
Registered
509 Posts
bsox said:
Thanks, I really appreciate this info (as well as the pics of the wind deflector). Your really helping me out, I will give the lockpick a serious look. Looking at the dash along with your pics, I think it looks quite doable. I suppose if I broke something on the trim piece I could easily get that replaced.

Still would like to hear from anyone with it installed... :cheers:
Glad to help, and I'm quite confident you should be able to get the trim off and plug in, without much hassle. Certainly understand wanting to know from anyone else who's done it first, though--I do that all the time :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is on an Acadia, but aside from different dash shaping an such, a LOT of it is the same or very similar. Videos by an owner, disassembling, installing a Lockpick, and then putting it all back together:

http://www.mediamax.com/rae0568

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I finally found a dealer that will sell me my enclave for supplier. I am picking it up in the morning. Cocoa\Cashmire loaded out. My GM Lockpick and Parrot LS3200 Color will be here Thursday. I will be posting up pictures and step-by-step instructions for the install of both.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
orion007 said:
Well I finally found a dealer that will sell me my enclave for supplier. I am picking it up in the morning. Cocoa\Cashmire loaded out. My GM Lockpick and Parrot LS3200 Color will be here Thursday. I will be posting up pictures and step-by-step instructions for the install of both.
Thanks, I look forward to this, I have not done it yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
caddycruiser, bsox, et al, you guys impress the **** out of me...we tried to take apart my daughter's leapster the other day as the screen got water in it, and couldn't for the life of us get that thing back together...had to go buy another one....just looking at that schematic makes my head spin....

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lisa said:
caddycruiser, bsox, et al, you guys impress the **** out of me...we tried to take apart my daughter's leapster the other day as the screen got water in it, and couldn't for the life of us get that thing back together...had to go buy another one....just looking at that schematic makes my head spin....
Thats what scares me a little, buying a new leapfrog would be a little cheaper than an Enclave ;D ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I did the install the same night I picked up the enclave. What I did not do is take pictures as I touught they were not necessary as there are pictures posted on the acadia forum. I will say that this install turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be and I have installed similar systems before. The enclave has a tremendous amount of insulation and is put together so well that it is hard to get behind the panels. With that said here are a few observations that should help you out.

LockPick Only
If you are just installing the lockpick only you should not have many problems. The is enough space behind the AC controls for all of the wiring and the lockpick itself. It will take some clever manuvering of the wiring to make it all fit but you can do it. I did not install any external video or audio sources except for the parrot LS3200. If you have to install any of those good luck to you and read below for my follies on routing wires. In the enclave where the radio is installed is a sealed unit so it is very difficult to run wires to the lockpick itself. It should also be noted that the plugs that go into the radio are hard to push in. Make sure that they are all the way in and snap into place. I had the misfortune of thinking they were in all the way because they looked like it and could not get things working at first. This took about an hour to resolve and I almost thought the lockpick was broken. So for all the people out there that are recieving lockpicks and thinking they are broken please make sure that all 3 plugs are pushed all the way in.

It should be noted that the instructions for hooking up the factory backup up camera to view while driving are incorrect. They tell you to look for a box under the passenger seat. There is no such box on the enclave and I wasted about 2 hours looking for the proper wire before giving up. I was not going to use the feature anyway except as a novelty. Coastal needs to update the instructions and tell people where this wire is located.

Parrot Install
This went pretty good. It is real easy to hook up and sounds great in the Enclave. I can hear my wife perfectly when she is going 80 on the interstate. This is a testament to buick engineering. We had a problem deciding where to mought the display of the LS3200. There are not many places on the dash to mount the display without it looking tacky and out of place. We did decide to mount it behind the steering wheel on the right side before the dash curves into the radio. This is a flat surface and does not obstuct any instruments. It also is fully viewable from the drivers seat as well as the passengers. We did not drill any holes any where in the install we used double sided foam tape from 3M to attach it to the dashboard. The tape will probably need to be replaced every 6 months but it is better than having to drill a hole in the dash.

Routing of the wires was very difficult. The only place for wires to run out of the radio compartment was straight down below the A/C controls. The problem with that is that space was not easily accessable without major disassembly of the center console. I was able to find a solution by removing the panel directly above the brake and gas pedals. This panel is removed by prying up 3 pushpin like devices. Once the panel is removed you need to remove 2 hex screws from the panle that surrounds the steering column. These screws are located at the very bottom of the panel. Once the screws are removed you should be able to pop out the right side of the panel enough to run wires. The last thing you have to so is moved the carpet back along the center console. I was able to move it back far enough to grab the wires I dropped down from the radio. Once I got the wires I just ran them along the panel I popped out and put everything back. The finished look is great and all the wores are hidden. I should also say that I mounted the microphone on the panel the surrounds the steering column. This places the microphone directly in front of the drivers so you get maximun voice pickup with little to no road noise.

I will try and get some pictures of the finished installation so everyone can see how great it looks in the Enclave.

Note
It should be noted that once the lockpick is installed you do not have to do anythign to watch DVD's while driving on the NAV screen. The instructions say you do but I do not have to. It is enabled all the time. The other functions like NAV Destination input you will have to enable everytime you want to use it.

If anyone has any question just post in here and I will try and answer them.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hey, thanks for the "blow-by-blow" description and I may get one (Lockpick) now! Good reporting and try to keep your eyes off Eva Mendes (We Own the Night) and on the road!!! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts