EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Greg Papendick, General Motors one time program manager for GM Accessories, and now GM Global Portfolio Planner, Electronics & Infotainment, took the time to write an open letter to Lambda owners, posted on the Outlook forum. His name makes a great Google search if you want to read about GM electronic toys..

I have been asked to answer a few questions on various web sites but won't be able to check back very often.

GM has every intention of supporting the Outlook at the same time as the Acadia and Enclave. We have the PAL available for the HHR, Cobalt, Soltice, Sky, and G5 today and others are on the way. The first group of vehicles all use the same communications protocol and it made sense to roll out the product by protocol to leverage the knowledge gained on the first program.

Getting this product developed has been a real challenge to our team. Believe me, you can not be more disappointed in the delay for having the PAL available than we are. We have several Engineers working on the software, electronics, wiring, and installation to insure that when it does become available you will be getting your moneys worth in quality and performance.

The Outlook, Acadia and Enclave are in the next batch of vehicles that will become available. I can not say when they will be ready as we are still working on fixing the last few known software glitches and are testing to make sure that if any get through it isn't due to a lack of effort. We will not knowingly sell something that we are not convinced will meet the needs of our customers.

I will try to have someone post the part number for the Outlook when it becomes available.

One word of caution. Be sure that if you decide to replace the radio you have someone knowledgeable in electronics help you pick the parts to do the job right. The chime function necessary to meet Federal Motor Safety Standards is incorporated into our radios and if you don't add additional hardware to the vehicle you will lose this function. It is illegal to knowingly disable a FMVSS feature.

Greg Papendick
GM Global Portfolio Planner
Electronics & Infotainment
[/color]

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Thanks for the info, but can you tell me what the PAL is suppose to do?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bsox said:
Thanks for the info, but can you tell me what the PAL is suppose to do?
Ha! Sorry.. I was so excited about the letter I forgot to mention what the device is.

GM Accessories is excited to announce the availability of the long-anticipated Portable Audio Link (PAL). The PAL is a seamlessly integrated interface device that allows HHR, Cobalt, G5 and Solstice owners to link their AppleAr iPodAr with their vehicles factory radio system providing true audio personalization. PAL delivers full "read" functionality* of the iPod such as sorting by category (genre, playlist, artist, album, song, podcast or audiobook) and shuffling songs/titles within a selected category. You can navigate your personal iPod audio library using the vehicles radio controls while the iPod is neatly tucked away. The PAL-iPod connection is concealed inside the glove compartment (or auxiliary glove compartment, depending on the vehicle), so there are no messy extraneous wires. The iPod also charges while connected with the vehicle on. Completely personalized soundƒ?Ýhow cool is that?!
Retail Price: $159.00
Part Number: 19171028.
[/color]
http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/details.asp?prod_id=79995

Watch this video for a demo..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDqktd_HNo

Attachments

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Thanks, thats what I thought it was, but wasn't sure. I was thinking of doing the same thing with the GM lockpic for the ipod, but this would be much easier and would not involve me taking out the radio etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
just watched the video, That looks great. better than plugging it into the aux.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anybody heard any updates on this? I don't suppose this will be sitting under my Christmas tree this year...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Under Tree=2008

Any sooner priceless...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just recieved this from GM:

Thank you for inquiring about the Personal Audio Link (PAL) iPod interface for your GM crossover vehicle. We regret to inform you that the release of the PAL for Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook has been further delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. Unfortunately, a revised target date is not available at this time.

We have released the PAL for Chevy HHR & Cobalt, Pontiac G5 & Solstice and Saturn SKY (all one part number); however, this is not a "one size fits all" product. GM has three distinct serial data communication protocols and multiple radio options, and the PAL must be developed, tested and validated for each combination in order to achieve the highly integrated product our customers demand.

Although we are unable to provide specific timing for any future PAL vehicle applications, I can assure you that our engineers are diligently working to release it for the crossover vehicles just as soon as they possibly can.

All Buick, GMC and Saturn dealers will be notified when the crossover PAL is ready for sale.

Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joyce Henk
GM Accessories Marketing

·
Registered
360 Posts
Clave Man said:
Is the wiring harness easily accessible in the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook glove box? (like the installation video shows?)

http://www.coastaletech.com/GM_IPOD_LOCKPICK.htm
No, it's not. It is located in the back, on the left, behind and below the jack. NOT easy to get to and also requires running the connector up front someplace. It is not like the video using the Escalde as an example. I wish it was, I would get it in a heart beat. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Clave Man said:
Other than the fact it won't play Podcasts and requires the customer to install it, help me remember why its a bad idea to get the iPod Lockpick from Coastal eTech? Is the wiring harness easily accessible in the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook glove box? (like the installation video shows?)

http://www.coastaletech.com/GM_IPOD_LOCKPICK.htm
One user posted his installation process for the lockpick. You pull the radio and it basically plugs in, you have to fine a spot for the modules, but it can be done. use the search and you will find it. He was very detailed.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
It was orion007 at this post: Re: GM lockpick and the enclave nav

·
Registered
360 Posts
bsox said:
One user posted his installation process for the lockpick. You pull the radio and it basically plugs in, you have to fine a spot for the modules, but it can be done. use the search and you will find it. He was very detailed.
That install was for the GM Lockpick, not the i-Pod Lockpick. The i-Pod lockpick plugs into the XM module which is in the back. Look at this thread:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1444.msg18264#msg18264

He tells his trials and tribualtions about the i-Pod lockpick install. He doesn't hold back his opinions about how and where the XM module was installed/located. Like I said, sounds like a royal PIA to get the i-Pod lockpick plugged in and then routing the cord up front. One person in the Acadia forum just left their i-Pod in the back in the storage compartment on the side. Sorry, not for me. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Actually, here is his post for the i-pod part only:

OK, rant time. What the **** is up with that spare tire jack? It's very obvious that the jack is put into place before interior panels are installed, since there are no scratches and marring of the panels that would otherwise HAVE to be there. The thing only fits with a bright light, plenty of time, and some scraped knuckles. I'd hate to be the guy out in the rain at night trying to get it out to change a tire... call OnStar I guess and just sit there. Just absolutely atrocious ergonomics engineering.

Unfortunately, the XM receiver box is only accessible after removing the tire jack. And then you realize that the receiver box was put into a large assembly, and the assembly placed into the side before interior panels are installed. Without ripping apart half of the rear of the Enclave's interior, it is very very difficult to get to. The harness plug that you need to remove has a locking clip that is on the other side of the plug... that's right, it's sandwiched right between the harness and the external body sheet metal. It took half an hour just to remove the harness plug.

So I got the iPod pick installed, and routed the wire up to the center console (it just makes it there). Comes up through the bottom of the "drink cooler" storage area, and lies in the little coin/junk tray. Pretty handy place. Sound is good, user interface could be better. Probably as good as it gets for a non-GM product, and even then I'd have to see the PAL in action before I'd think it will be any better. Doesn't seem to have an easy way to do a lot of the "normal" iPod stuff like random shuffle, but with some effort and practice you can navigate your way through folders by artist, genre, album, etc.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put me down on the PAL waiting list since it sounds nearly impossible to get to the where the XM wiring harness is to hook it (the Coastal eTech iPod device) up.

I don't mind leaving the iPod in the wall panel (so I don't have to run the wire from the back panel up to the front). Since the device doesn't support Podcasts, I wouldn't have much reason to dig it out. I have 50Gb of music. I need something like this..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Thanks for the correction Xrayman, laziness by me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
bsox said:
Thanks for the correction Xrayman, laziness by me.
Laziness?? I think not Mr. 714 posts! :notworthy:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Perhaps GM should contact the maker of the Lockpick iPod adaptor ( http://www.coastaletech.com/BUICK_APPLICATIONS.htm ) and make them a supplier. I find it interesting that an independent company can solve the problem when the manufacturer's engineers can't. :happy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts