EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the front page of the Detroit News on line. "GM picked as target company for strike"!! :angryfire:

Well, this is just great! :sosad: I was afraid of this happening. We finally got our build date...the week of September 17th.

I already talked with the wife about cancelling our order if the UAW strikes GM. :eek:hno: :sosad: I was also up front with our salesman some time ago and advised him of the same thing.

WE WILL MOVE TO PLAN B! We have no choice. We sold the wifes car and we have been jockeying with 1 vehicle(mine) for some time now.

What is PLAN B? Well, it does not involve an American Auto Maker! I have been checking out alternatives and if need be .....a shoppin we will go!!!!!

It may cost us more ..............but GM will strike out!!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
At this point, I don't think either party is stupid enough to allow a strike.

G

·
I posted this on another link--analysts don't believe the strike will happen as it is too risky for the Big Three right now. GM was the obvious target because it is the strongest at this point.

I think it's okay to remain calm and optimistic. Being from Michigan, you probably understand just how difficult things are economically here. It would be very detrimental for an automotive strike at this time; the entire State of Michigan would suffer a sad fate. GM has come too far to let it happen. Have faith!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I agree. A strike would be terrible for Michigan, let alone General Motors. With all the cuts, buyouts, downsizing and product eliminations, you'de think both sides would be "realistic". We've seen the effect on the economy in Michigan as you mentioned. IT IS NOT GOOD!

I did read in the same article in the Detroit News that Ford and Chrysler have agreed to continue working and negotiate. But nothing about GM!

I guess I'm being too pessimistic, especially since we spent so much time researching, test driving and making our final decision. We looked at a Saturn Outlook, waited for the GMC Acadia to come out(liked it alot) and finally were talked into waiting to try an Enclave. We have been following this forum and enjoying seeing others ENCLAVES and postings of various topics. We were thoroughly convinced our decision to go with the ENCLAVE was the right one. We were also concerned that our delay in making that decision would cost us. Add in the fact that we sold my wife's car sooner than expected and finally got our build date ......well.......it is very frustrating.

Appreciate the encouragement and we will hope for the best :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
juglake said:
Just read the front page of the Detroit News on line. "GM picked as target company for strike"!! :angryfire:

Well, this is just great! :sosad: I was afraid of this happening. We finally got our build date...the week of September 17th.

I already talked with the wife about cancelling our order if the UAW strikes GM. :eek:hno: :sosad: I was also up front with our salesman some time ago and advised him of the same thing.

WE WILL MOVE TO PLAN B! We have no choice. We sold the wifes car and we have been jockeying with 1 vehicle(mine) for some time now.

What is PLAN B? Well, it does not involve an American Auto Maker! I have been checking out alternatives and if need be .....a shoppin we will go!!!!!

It may cost us more ..............but GM will strike out!!
Right now I couldn't agree with you more! As of lst night I am in the same boat you are in. I'm At status code 3000 right now and am riding my bicycle and have to do it for at least another month, and let me tell you it's starting to get cold around here in the mornings I am willing to tough it out for a month until my clave get here ...... but if they start this Sh** now, they will have lost another GM Crossover.
Best
Rob

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ok, time out..... :soapbox: I am sorry to revert to this....but I have had enough!

To all UAW employees, leaders, etc........striking is NO WAY to accomplish anything! A strike is nothing more than the "2 year old" coming out in people who should be acting like adults. It is a TEMPER TANTRUM and nothing more! I am so sick of the unions in this country and everything they have done to RUIN our status in the world in everything from electronics to the automotive industry. The ONLY reason the japanese have taken over the automotive industry is because they RUN A TIGHT SHIP and don't put up with this kind of BS from a union! Let me make this comment to UAW workers who believe in striking......If you don't like who you work for, then do what the rest of us do out here in the real world and FIND ANOTHER JOB!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :tunes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
ccaats, I cound not have said it better myself. I totally agree. Although I do understand the reason behind the development of unions, I think they are causing more problems than they solve at the present time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
:ditto:

I can not fathom some of the items (It would be like asking my boss to guarentee that I will have a job until my next review).

The unions server to protect, but the old school mentallity is going to kill the American Car industry. Take a look at their average wages, 100% pension plans, heck pension plans now-a-days are a thing of the past.

It is hard to understand these things. I just want my car, but if things go to a strike I am done. Bye Bye American Cars. :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I suppose that unions had a valid purpose at one time, but the relevance of their existence has diminished.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
ccaats said:
Ok, time out..... :soapbox: I am sorry to revert to this....but I have had enough!

To all UAW employees, leaders, etc........striking is NO WAY to accomplish anything! A strike is nothing more than the "2 year old" coming out in people who should be acting like adults. It is a TEMPER TANTRUM and nothing more! I am so sick of the unions in this country and everything they have done to RUIN our status in the world in everything from electronics to the automotive industry. The ONLY reason the japanese have taken over the automotive industry is because they RUN A TIGHT SHIP and don't put up with this kind of BS from a union! Let me make this comment to UAW workers who believe in striking......If you don't like who you work for, then do what the rest of us do out here in the real world and FIND ANOTHER JOB!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :tunes:
Thank you for saying what I have felt for a long time!!! Last I checked no one was being forced to work 18 hour days anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
To our much appreciated GM INSIDERS:

Please do not take these comments personally. You build an excellent vehicle. I hope you come to an acceptable resolution. :angel:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Good thought Mr. Buick, I am more upset at what the UAW "mob type" bosses of the past have done to hurt both the American manufacturing industry AND the people they are supposed to represent. To me "strike" thinking is too short-sighted and only hurts EVERYONE in the long run. Don Willems, lzwhb and others......we LOVE you guys and hope things get worked out! :comfort:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can only imagine how helpless our friends feel in all this. Most people just want to work and earn a living doing something they enjoy. Having a bigger system/organization controling that can be bitter-sweet. I imagine on some level we all feel the same frustration. They want to build the cars and we want to buy them! But someone else is pulling all the strings. So we all sit in limbo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm hardly pro-union in this day and age but there main issue is not going to be protecting pensions. It is going to be the same issue that has been killing all of us in the private sector-soaring health insurance costs. Particularly the retirees. GM is asking the union to take ownership of them and that is the sticking point from what I have heard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think any dealer would be stockpiling Enclaves. Too many people are paying high prices to pass up sales in order to add inventory. They were probably a fleet order or possibly vehicles for golf tournament.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The latest news is not good, it looks like if an agreement is not reached tonight the UAW will strike. Reports indicate progress is being made so whats wrong with continuing to work while negotiations proceed?
Looks like the UAW is preparing to shoot itself in the foot again and further "endear" itself to the American public. Toyota and Honda have to be loving this!

I think I'll go in tomorrow and tell my boss that if he won't guarantee my job, salary and health benefits for life I'm out of here. That would be a short conversation, I would be back home in time to have breakfast with my wife before starting to look for another job!!

Fritz

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
43sbest said:
The latest news is not good, it looks like if an agreement is not reached tonight the UAW will strike. Reports indicate progress is being made so whats wrong with continuing to work while negotiations proceed?
Looks like the UAW is preparing to shoot itself in the foot again and further "endear" itself to the American public. Toyota and Honda have to be loving this!

I think I'll go in tomorrow and tell my boss that if he won't guarantee my job, salary and health benefits for life I'm out of here. That would be a short conversation, I would be back home in time to have breakfast with my wife before starting to look for another job!!

Fritz
That is just great, this may be the last straw for me. I may not wait any longer, GM may lose a first time GM buyer and I will go back to a foriegn make. I can't believe what a horrible move this would be for all involved. GM can not be profitable with the huge amount of pension and health insurance costs they are responsible for. Get real.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do not loss faith as of yet. I think both sides really do not want to strike, it just seems to be a power play at the end. Things did appear to go ok through yesterday/this morning though. I am taking this as a good sign.

Threat of strike at GM appears to ease
Automaker fails to reach new labor contract with UAW over the weekend, but negotiations ongoing.
September 17 2007: 5:25 AM EDT

(CNN) -- The United Auto Workers union and General Motors failed to reach a new labor contract despite marathon negotiating sessions over the weekend, but both sides did agree to take a break early Monday, according to GM spokeswoman Katie McBride.

All workers will remain on the job as talks are set to resume later Monday morning, McBride said.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Things do look better.
For once the UAW appears to be using good judgment, good for them!!

Fritz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts