EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit News 4/16 reports http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080416/AUTO01/804160441/1148/AUTO01:

General Motors Corp. will merge its eight brands into four distinct channels, each headed by newly appointed vice presidents, the automaker announced on Tuesday. Long criticized for having too many brands, the new strategy will allow GM to streamline sales and marketing operations of the eight brands without having to eliminate any one lineup. The four channels will be: Chevrolet; Saturn; premium brands Hummer, Cadillac and Saab; and the combined Pontiac, Buick and GMC brands.

The following executive appointments are effective June 1:
-- Susan Docherty, 45, is appointed North America Vice President, Buick-Pontiac-GMC Channel (BPG)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow -- wonder what that is going to do for exhisting dealership line-ups.

Is Buick a sub-class to SAAB????

Can I order my '09 Buick from a GMC dealership -- or would I have to wait until June 1?

m

·
Registered
232 Posts
They have pretty much already been moving this direction by combining Pontiac, Buick and GMC dealerships.

·
Registered
577 Posts
GMC,Pot+ Buick is how the dealership in my area is organized.

·
Registered
509 Posts
loach said:
They have pretty much already been moving this direction by combining Pontiac, Buick and GMC dealerships.
Yes, this has been the intention for quite some time now, so it's odd this is even a news story...unless it's meant to give an update.

They want these 3 together, just like they want Cadillac-Hummer-Saab together where possible. As for standalone dealers, like one who only sells Buick, well that's what they're trying to figure out in the best way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Our Local Dealership has Been Pontiac, Buick, GMC together for a few years now. We bought a Pontiac in 2000 from them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I watched part of a Detriot automotive show in the middle of the night recently where they were interviewing some of the big car dealer owners and talking about the industry. They were speculating that GM will eventually force dealers to carry Buick/Pontiac/GMC combined and eventually eliminate the 'independent' dealers who only carry one or two of the brands in order to drive efficiency The were remarking how GM eliminated Oldsmobile and paid some dealers a handsome sum when closing them out of business. But if they don't eliminate any of the brands it's a different issue altogether.

·
Registered
721 Posts
They've been moving towards this since late 2006. Eventually the stand-alone Buick stores will all be gone, either swallowed up by Pontiac-GMC stores or closed. We actually bought out a Pontiac-GMC store last year, but we still have a stand-alone Buick store. All of the marketing and support now is towards the B-P-G channel and by 2010, they'll all be that way. If you notice, all the local marketing has been B-P-G for awhile now. The only Buick-only ads you see are national ones, mostly during golf events.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I hope it doesn't happen until I'm too old to be buying cars. In our town the Buick dealer has been here and in the same family for over 100 years. I have never heard an unkind word about the service or the owner. On the other hand the Pontiac-GMC dealership has been owned by 5 or 6 different corporations in the since they were combined 15 years ago. Not only does the ownership change but also the personnel, so no one has been there more than a year or so. I had to have dealings with them as I owned GMC trucks and never had a good experience, in fact I bought a Ford to get away from them. I had 3 Buicks and have always been well taken care of at the Buick Dealership and for the life of me I don't understand why I ever left excep that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts