EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM signs $800mil deal to send U.S.-built Buick Enclave to China

Amidst all the fury surrounding the UAW strike today, General Motors released a statement announcing an $800 million deal with its Chinese joint-venture company to supply the Chinese market with U.S.-built vehicles and components. It's the second such agreement GM has signed, the first being an agreement worth $700 million to supply Cadillacs and components to China signed back in May. The new agreement focuses mainly on the Buick Enclave CUV, which is built at GM's Lansing Delta Township assembly plant. One can't help but question the timing of this announcement as GM and UAW negotiators are back at the table this afternoon to discuss job security for the union's 73,000 members. There's little doubt now that UAW employees at the Lansing plant will be busy in the months ahead not only trying to meet demand for the Enclave in the U.S., but also producing the vehicle for export to China. We'll see as the day goes on if this agreement has any effect on negotiations, but there are a total of 59 plants operated by GM that use UAW workers. Securing work for just one of them probably isn't going to be enough.

Source: http://www.lacame04.com/gm-signs-800mil-deal-to-send-u-s-built-buick-enclave-to-china_61925.html

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
They charge over $700 to get the car to me. What do you think the destination charge will be to get one to China???

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
It is great to see exports instead of imports. :thumb:
GO GM 8)
(You know, they sold more Buicks in China than here last year.)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
They have different models there than are offered here...some really nice stuff. I agree, go exports, build a good product and lets profit from them for a change right? Competing on the global market is the future, has to be.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at the Buick China website last night and it is really weird. Take for instance the GL8, which is really just a "re-badged" Terraza, Uplander, Montana mini-van....however it seems MUCH more upscale than the US offerings as does the Lacrosse. I don't understand why the US versions are more "bland" and the Chinese versions are more "upscale". Also, is the China Park Avenue just a rebadged Holden Monaro (aka Pontiac G8) or is it built in China?

http://www.buick.com.cn/home.aspx

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I don't know all of the details, but one of the sales reps I was dealing with told me there was resistance to bringing those models to market here because they were nicer than the Lucerne and LaCrosse and the dealers were worried they couldn't move what they had.  Again, somewhat backward thinking to me, but you know me Ccaats :D!  Glad Buick is making money overseas though

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
bsox, I agree that is backward thinking. While I think the Lacrosse and Lucerne seem to be "rock solid" and well built, quality cars.......the styling is SO very bland to me (the Lucerne is slightly better looking). I am SOOOO glad they didn't water down the Enclave from the concept.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I am not convinced that the "designed for China" Buicks are the right Buicks for us.
The LaCrosse seems to be attractive, but the Park Avenue seems too generic, too much like the upcoming Pontiac G8. At this time in their recovery, Buick can not afford a mis-step with product rushed to market. As we found with the Enclave, it was delayed after the other Lambdas, possibly to make sure everything was right, and they really hit the target. Careful product design and introduction is what Buick needs to ensure their future, not a re-badged product rushed to market.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts