·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
received another quote for 1500. over msrp.... :eek:hno:

R

·
0 Posts
are you sure that isnt invoice, that seems way to high, but gm cant do anything about it, it is the dealers battle, not theirs, what i think is that gm has had many winners just the dealers always wreck it for them.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rollin Thunder said:
are you sure that isnt invoice, that seems way to high, but gm cant do anything about it, it is the dealers battle, not theirs, what i think is that gm has had many winners just the dealers always wreck it for them.
exactly, just the way they are doing now. no it isn't invoice it is msrp and is actually 2nd dealer to tell me that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
MsS42,
Oh yeah, you are right on there!

A good friend of mine told me that his dealer just got 4 Enclaves in stock and suggested I call to find out if any fit what we were looking for (they did not show up on the Buick locator, so I wonder if they bought from another dealer and trucked them in?).

When I called and asked about the Enclaves, I inquired about pricing. I was told they made a "market adjustment" of $1,500 plus they had added some mumbo-jumbo paint protection plan and some other maintenance plan crap, which immediately turned me off. I told the guy that I talked to that we were NOT talking about a limited production vehicle like the Z06 Corvette but a mainstream vehicle -- and one which GM has just added a 3rd shift to produce more of -- and further commented that supply would catch up with demand, certainly by early next year.

He agreed. And said that was what they were doing. ADMIN -- do you have any problem with us naming names of dealers? I think we should post the names of these blood-sucking dealers taking advantage of a temporary supply shortage and further ruining GM's opportunity in the market. There is no way I will pay MSRP or above on a vehicle that IS intended to be manufactured for the mainstream and not limited to a certain # of production units. It's not as if GM is making a "SUPER" version of the Enclave and has announced that regardless of demand, they will only be building 2,000 units for the model year -- THAT's an entirely different story.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
This is the USA, welcome to democracy and free enterprise and capitalism. They are entitled to make a profit (even if it is excessive) and you are entitled to walk away and say NO.
This MSRP or above is nothing new, the Japanese have done it for years when they have a hot vehicle. Ford dealers tried it in 2005 with the new Mustang convertible (MSRP +$8000 at one dealer. it was red) and I walked away.
Would you rather live in Russia? ???

EDIT: I am NOT a dealer and have NO connection to the automotive industry.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Not that I am on dealers' side, but I agree with MrBuick about price gouging. The Buick dealers are probably getting a once in a life time deal to make money, so they are going to do that. But that doesn't mean I will pay what they are asking. If you remember I had such a hard time finding the right deal.

If you can wait, order one at your terms. You can work with any dealer in the U.S but take the delivery from the local dealer, as one suggested to me some time ago.

·
Registered
148 Posts
MsS42 said:
MsS42...You need to start broadening your search into other states. I think your best bet would be to look in the midwest...specifically Detroit. I know you are on the west coast, but you should easily be able to buy an Enclave for $500 above invoice. You would need them to ship it...so you would want to research the cost of shipping a car.

Like I said, broaden your search...email every single dealer that you can find. There are dealers that will deal with you. You've been waiting a long time to buy one of these things...don't rush it now...take your time and get the price that you want.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yep, I walked away - any smart person would do the same. You take enough of a hit by buying a new vehicle instead of used, no need to add more to the loss by buying at a premium. I know Infiniti dealers tried this with the G35's introduction, it too, did not last long. As I side, if it's a limited production run, and you know that -- it's a different story.

I posted a long time ago about the Sky and Solstice introduction -- and the head of Saturn (Jill L) even came out and publicly lambasted their dealer network saying price gouging was not going to be tolerated. Since I wasn't at all following the Sky/Solstice, I have no real idea of what happened beyond that public pronouncement -- whether her declaration did any good and whether they actually knocked a few dealers' heads in the process.

It's one thing to do this when you're "king of the world" and quite another to do it when you're trying to climb back up the hill -- which is how I view GM and certainly Buick at this point. GM killed the Oldsmobile brand and they had far more sales/units sold when they were given the death sentence than Buick has had in the past year or so. The point is, really, why let the dealer network alienate a whole group of folks who may never, ever would have bought a GM product? Makes little sense to me -- and the 2 are tied together -- it's not only the product that you get from GM/Buick, but the dealer treatment as well.

My order is in -- has been since 7/27 -- but it is in limbo. As many have suggested, I am still trying to find one already built and delivered to a dealer that I can buy, which is why I keep looking. My order went in under Supplier pricing. I didn't have to twist the dealer's arm to do this. However, it now appears he is playing games with the order, having downgraded the priority and not using an allocation to get it accepted by GM. This is all part of the "GAME" that is being played out there -- along with dealers requiring Non-Refundable deposits on a "HOT" car. Like they wouldn't sell it if you walked away? This is ALL a part of the customer experience and this exactly, is my beef with what's going on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
MRBUICK said:
This is the USA, welcome to democracy and free enterprise and capitalism. They are entitled to make a profit (even if it is excessive) and you are entitled to walk away and say NO.
This MSRP or above is nothing new, the Japanese have done it for years when they have a hot vehicle. Ford dealers tried it in 2005 with the new Mustang convertible (MSRP +$8000 at one dealer. it was red) and I walked away.
Would you rather live in Russia? ???

EDIT: I am NOT a dealer and have NO connection to the automotive industry.
I agree with this comment as well. They have power to charge what they want...just as you have the power to laugh in their face and walk away. Market conditions are different for every city. I ended up ordering my Acadia from Toledo, OH...2 1/2 hours away from me (which is Jeep and Ford country). I sent an email to the GMC dealership telling them specifically what I wanted to order and they came back asking $600 BELOW invoice...and they will ship it to my house. The best I could get from my local dealerships in Dayton/Cincinnati were $1500 ABOVE the deal I got in Toledo.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Design...what priority was your ordered Enclave when the order first went in...and what is the priority now? The GMC dealership where I purchased mine put it at a priority 7...from what I have read priority 8 is the lowest priority on the chart. My salesman indicated it would take about 8 weeks or so to deliver. I'm in no hurry to get it...so it's not a big deal...just curious to see what they changed the priority to and did they say it would be delayed even longer because of that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One more suggestion MsS42...take a look at what other people paid on this site. If they didn't list the dealership name, send that person a private message to see if they will devulge that information to you. If they do, you can email that dealership saying that my buddy "Soandso" referred me to you and said that he received the following price on this Enclave. Would you be able to give me the same deal?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
MsS42 said:
MsS42
Good luck in your search :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
fenwah said:
Design...what priority was your ordered Enclave when the order first went in...and what is the priority now? The GMC dealership where I purchased mine put it at a priority 7...from what I have read priority 8 is the lowest priority on the chart. My salesman indicated it would take about 8 weeks or so to deliver. I'm in no hurry to get it...so it's not a big deal...just curious to see what they changed the priority to and did they say it would be delayed even longer because of that.
fenwah,
After the order went in (this was done directly with the owner, who handles all the VOMS stuff), I checked with the salesman that physically wrote up the paperwork -- had him check, logging into the GM system. At that time, it was priority 2. Then a week later, I called back to check and it was priority 3. I called the owner directly to ask why the downgrade and never got a straight answer. He said the priority really didn't matter as far as GM accepting the order -- I think that makes some sense in that it's the DEALER, not GM that decides what order or orders go in to use up a dealer's allocated vehicles for that week. AFAIK, GM does not go into the system and simply automatically pull an order that's sitting @ 1100 waiting. The dealer puts forth the order based on the GM order constraints they are given when an allocation is released to them.

I even asked my dealer if there were any constraints on any of the options that would hold my order up and was told "no." I know this to be very untrue -- as the Lux Package is most definitely constrained at the factory (about 125 units per day). So, the dealer could get allocations for Enclaves, but those could be constrained as well such that only 1 Enclave could be ordered with the lux package and get accepted, while any other orders to be accepted would have to be without that package to get accepted. A dealer is not going to "waste" their allocation on an Enclave that will sit in limbo -- they will order another one that would go through.

The last conversation I had was my order would be accepted by Sept. -- but I don't know if that meant BY september or IN september -- makes a big difference in delivery time. I suspect the dealer didn't know for sure at the time, was basing it on past allocations. But I just read in another thread, evidence of additional allocations being released. Again, don't know if that matters because they apparently haven't been able to do anything about the supply of power tilt/telescope wheel in the lux package.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
coop said:
Not that I am on dealers' side, but I agree with MrBuick about price gouging. The Buick dealers are probably getting a once in a life time deal to make money, so they are going to do that. But that doesn't mean I will pay what they are asking. If you remember I had such a hard time finding the right deal.

If you can wait, order one at your terms. You can work with any dealer in the U.S but take the delivery from the local dealer, as one suggested to me some time ago.
coop and mrbuick,

they get paid regardless and even at supplier/gm family rates they are still making a profit.... that is crap about them selling you a car over msrp like that. the dealers make their profit on warranties, accessories, whatever else they can find to try and sell you and believe it or not they make a profit off your licensing fees. they tell you they are taking x amount of dollars for the licensing fees and the car only cost 250. to register but they took 500. from you for this fee. right there they have made 250. off you if you are not aware, which most aren't, that you can make them cut you a check for the excess amount fees.

so, i am not going w/that once in a lifetime crap for making a profit. this is bogus and they are trying to take advantage of the consumers. THIS IS GARBAGE AND THEY ARE PRICE GOUGING JUST LIKE THE GAS COMPANIES WERE DOING. you are absolutely correct that i have the right to walk away and you better believe i will do just that. i have never and will never pay msrp for a car. especially, when msrp already has a profit margin locked into it. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!

fenwah,

ty for that suggestion, i have been checking this site and it has given me even more power to speak up w/these dealers. however, i will pm some people to check out what deals they made. i know that i can have the cars delivered to me from anywhere. i am going to spread my search out further as well.

as i mentioned i have never paid msrp for a car w/the knowledge that i already had but in studying this site so vigorously, i am now equipped w/even more purchasing power. if, i have to go get it and drive it back, w/in reason, then that is exactly what i will do.

and another thing coop and mrbuick..... even when the dealer sells you a car at his invoice he is still making a profit cause his invoice, which is always so willing to show you, is still somewhat inflated so that he can make a profit. this is why kelly blue book, edmunds and others have created the tmv for your perusual. don't be fooled by that dealer needs to make a profit crap. they push to try and sell as high as they can resulting in BONUSES for them. this is what makes the difference cause their paychecks are already set in stone but the BONUSES are not.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
MsS42
I did NOT pay MSRP or above for my Enclave, and yes, I too would walk away if I was faced with that issue. I purchased mine in June before things went crazy. I am not defending the dealers, I do think it is short sightedness on their part, but that's the way capitalism works.............buy or walk :mad:
It's a free country, they are free to price gouge, and you are free to take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I drove into St Louis yesterday, about 100 miles, to see a Cardinal game. Left an hour early or so to window shop at a Buick dealer. I picked the Lou Fusz dealership because the locator site showed him with the most CXL vehicles in stock and there were also Acadias (eight of them) on the lot.

He had 3 red and one black CXL FWDs in stock. The one inside the showroom had a cheesy pin stripe added and a big price tag hanging on the mirror, LIMITED AVAILABILITY price, $250 over MSRP!

Needless to say as I walked out to look over the black Enclave with a salesman, I made it clear I was sorry he had no chance to sell me a vehicle today with pricing over MSRP. He was young and almost apologetic about the situation saying he couldn't afford to buy vehicles priced that way either. Then he asked if I had been by any other dealers in the area. I said no. He proceeded to tell me that at least one location had posted a REGIONAL PRICE on their Enclaves $1,500 over MSRP. Of course I didn't see this so it may just be a fabrication or urban legend. But even with what I saw, pricing is getting out of hand in some locations.

Needless to say, I'm out of this Enclave game for a while. The St Louis area market is way too hot for my taste! I just hope things come back to reason soon. Good old supply and demand at work. Not complaining, but I'm not even looking anymore at these prices. I don't know who is buying this way. The Enclaves must be selling or the prices would come down. Haven't seen anyone post a $1,000 over MSRP price in the What Did You Pay thread. I guess I'd also be too embarrassed to make a post like that.

By the way, the Cardinals won late in the game. It was an exciting finish.... for a Cardinal fan. At least this part of the trip was worth while.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey Mapper,
It's clearly not just St Louis. Here in the Chicago area, virtually everything in stock appears to be going @ MSRP -- some, like that dealer in St Louis, is adding a "market adjustment" of $1,500 or more and some are also adding on "crap" stuff to further pad their pockets. I called on a dealer here that just got 4 in and that was exactly the situation. Even when asking about orders, most dealers are shunning accepting the Supplier program altogether, although they still make a nice profit from it. Clearly, not nice enough for many.

I'm fairly certain that with few exceptions, anyone that would pay over sticker is NOT on this forum -- or if they are, they are independently wealthy ;D.

All I can say is this -- for those that have either used Supplier or gotten a great deal -- thank your lucky stars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went to my dealer this past weekend. They had just gotten 12 Enclaves from the PGA tour. They already sold 10 of them by the time I got there. All at MSRP. For a used vehicle! They had a CXL white diamond left. I gazed at it inside and out for about 30 minutes. It was very nice, but I'm holding out for my order. 2-3 weeks and counting!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they are definitely not apart of this forum if they are paying msrp.... dealer i talked too will accept gm friends and family but would not give me a quote using it says, dealership policy but she gave me a estimate at around 41K fully loaded w/everything possible (hehehehehe) I'm getting everything and I do mean everything ;D. she says i could get it by december but i want the 2nd row center console and its not going to be available to order until 10/8 :eek:hno: :sosad:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am sorry to hear you are having to pay way too much for you Enclave. I had a 1999 Town & Country LTD in fair condition to trade and did some dealing and came away $6500 under MSRP. :blob:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts