EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Ziebart this past weekend and got the front windows tinted and the "eyebrow" tint installed for $123.xx w/tax. Has anyone else done something similar and comparable in price?

I also asked about getting the 3M-type paint protector installed. They indicated that it would be a 3-piece system and normally runs $899. Being that my vehicle was extremely clean (cause that's how I roll....) and only minor prep-work would be needed, they would knock off $300, making the total $599. Would anyone mind sharing what they paid or at least say yay or nay if this is a good deal or a rip-off?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got my two front windows tinted (see signature) from a certified 3M dealer (from 3M web site) for $95.

They also quoted me the following for an 3M clear-bra:
Mirrors: $55
18" Hood & Front Fenders: $225

This does not include the front facial which they said would be like another $300. They said that the front facial is plastic and so it is less susceptible to chipping.

I had the dealer install the 3M clear-bra for $198 which included the mirrors and the 18" hood and front fenders. My only gripe is that it looked like the installer that the dealer used probably utilized a kit instead of custom cutting because the coverage on the mirror doesn't even come close to covering the entire paint surface. It looked like they used a mirror kit that is way too small.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
A friend of mine had her boyfriends front windows on his GMC tinted at Ziebart and she said it cost only $80.00.

I am thinking about doing that with the front drivers/passenger side windows. Not sure still thinking about it. :eyebrow:

Thoughts or suggestions on this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sailfish said:
A friend of mine had her boyfriends front windows on his GMC tinted at Ziebart and she said it cost only $80.00.

I am thinking about doing that with the front drivers/passenger side windows. Not sure still thinking about it. :eyebrow:

That's what my brother payed for his 2011 SRX. $80 seems to be the going rate for 2 front windows. I would do it too, but I really do not want to draw attention and get pulled over and then have to remove it.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Sailfish said:

If the door panals have to be taken off, I would say...NO. don't want to start out with all new hosts of problems,,,,door seals, power switches not working, squeaks, misaligned trim...you name it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
80 is about right - they should NOT have to remove any door panels - I have never had any tint shop do that! Tint away!! Makes it look good!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an appointment for tinting tomorrow. I sooo can't wait as I literally HATE that you can see into the vehicle!
I know I'm wierd, but if it weren't illegal (and just plain stupid), I'd like to tint the front window too! :p

I'm using a local dude that works out of a full service car wash place and I had him put on a Glass Scape to our rear window on a previous car 5 years ago, never had a problem so I'm going to use him for the tinting.

He said $109 to do the driver, passengar, front visor strip and the 2 sun roofs. As much as I'd like to CIA-darken the front windows, I'll stick to legal levels this time. I've done the dark dark before and never been questioned, even the one time an FHP stopped me for speedning. But, older and more skiddish this time I'll stick to legal. Man I feel old just typing that.

As for the sun roof and sky light, the Enclave we bought had these items but didn't really desire them. And I have vampire eyes so the fact that there is only a shade (no actual covers) for these glass panels is a huge problem. Not sure what the tint level will be, I'll see what the installer has to say tomorrow.

But I am happy with the $109 estimate and can't wait for it to be done. :blob: :blob:
And we've never had anyone have to remove anything (door pieces) for any vehcile we've tinted prior.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
encadia said:
That's what my brother payed for his 2011 SRX. $80 seems to be the going rate for 2 front windows. I would do it too, but I really do not want to draw attention and get pulled over and then have to remove it.
Okay but did I misunderstand that there are different levels of dark tinting that can be applied? I don't want the illegal tint definitely want it darker than what it is now.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
TumbleWeed: Sorry I keep throwing my 2 cents in here that's not real helpful, but I have to ask? What's bad about seeing INTO the vehicle? You don't like people looking at you? OR, do you keep clutter in your interior and don't want it seen from the outside?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sailfish said:
Okay but did I misunderstand that there are different levels of dark tinting that can be applied? I don't want the illegal tint definitely want it darker than what it is now.
Sure, there are numerous different levels of darkness for tint. Many states will allow you to tint to 35% (the percentage refers to the amount of light that can be transmitted through the window). Interestingly, most vehicles (i.e., SUVs) with factory darkened windows (they don't use standard window tint) are at about 20% light transmission. The darker the interior, the darker the tint will appear. Your local installer will know the laws.

·
Registered
881 Posts
PaPas Truck said:
I am now considering adding some tint film to all the windows in the new Enclave. Already, I can feel the Florida sun and the heat generated as it shines on the driver side window. I have had my last two vehicles tinted, and can feel a significant difference in the new ride as opposed to the last two vehicles. Florida has a limit on the darkness of tinted films allowed. My shop has given me a small piece to get a feel for the tint effect on the windows now. It does darken the second and third row windows more that the off the lot tint, and makes the Driver and front passenger windows appear pretty close to the rear windows. I have always had the sun roof tinted also, and would probably do that again, especially since the Enclave has a mesh appearing screen. One of my great-grandsons always wants the shade pulled back so he can see out (don't know what he is looking at, but...), and I do think about the sun shining through. The only qualms I have is placing the film on the rear window with the defrost wires covered. It has not been a problem for me in the past. Has anyone else adding tinting film, and what has ben your result/satisfaction? I did search old posts, but ind nothing since about December 2007 on this subject. Thanks in advance.
I realize this is an old post, but in light of the last post, i will add:

I did in fact have ALL glass in my enclave "tinted" I had tinting added to the second and third row side windows, the lift gat glass and both the sun and moon roofs. I had the maximum "darkness" permitted by Florida law placed on both front side windows, and a dark strip across the top of the windshield, ending just below my eye level. It really does cut down significantly on the "sunloading" and heat coming into the interior of the vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry for the slowwwww reply to you KIDSENCLAVE.....but, the window tint dude called me about 2 minutes after I posted to tell me he had a cancellation and would I come a day earlier. Would I??? He practically heard my screeeeeching tires as I hung up. ;D

OK so, personall neurosis may be my answer. I just hate not having tinted windows, I don't like the feeling of someone looking in. And, not for being a slob in my car, but thanks for asking. :happy: That would be my sister, she has a brand new MKT and along with her 3 kids it hauls anything and everything she tosses on the floor, receipts and empty drive thru sacks, oy. No, I am a flippin' neat nick.

And, I didn't really "get it" that there are different rules for different states until (while reading older posts on this site) I kept seeing the words "that's illegal" and it made me crazed and confused. SOooo I just did a search earlier today and many have tables printed on various online websites that shows the various laws. Who knew. Yes, different rules for different windows and different %s allowed for each varies by state. ???

I still would do CIA dark if I could. As I mentioned, the age thing is making my judgement more logic-based. And again, if questioned I will deny that last statement.

Anyhoo, I am happy that all my windows match now and that the interior is nice and dark(er). I may have a fabric piece made for the sun roof since he wouldn't do a "black out" up there as it would contribute to early demise, he said it would cause that sunroof to crack. No thanks, I'll continue to use a piece of paper to block the glaring sun spot that gets me from directly above. But I am very happy with how it looks now. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Yeah, I think here in MI the windows in the front cannot be dark tinted, hence the reason all SUV and van vehicles that have dark privacy glass only are on the rear windows. This is the first vehicle I've ever had with tinted windows (dark, like the standard rear Enclave windows), and I think it's neat. Also, all those finger prints from the kids on the glass cannot be seen on the outside, so that makes me feel better. (still, WE see them, but if I'm not riding in the back, OH WELL....my kids can look out dirty glass for a while till it gets warmer when I can detail the "kid area".) Hopefully, once the weather gets warmer, they won't be making such a mess of the windows, it's because of the fog on the windows in the cold temps. where they smear the windows, just for something to do.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses. I actually forgot that I posted this. I am very happy with the results and it paid off while in Fla last week. The installer said it would take approximately 5 -7 days for all the bubbles to vacate the side windows and he was right. It is so smooth and clear that you can't tell aftermarket tinting was done unless you roll the window down and look at the edges.

I've never thought about installing additional tint on the rear windows to further darken, but knowing that I cannot tint the fronts any further, I think I'll just leave it alone because its looks almost identical in darkness all the way around now.

I've had the "Eyebrow" tint on another vehicle and wasn't sure if I wanted it for the Enclave because it was so dark that I often had to look under the tint at stop lights. The issue was that the aftermarket tint was place over the factory tint above the windshield. Our Enclave's do not have factory tint on the windshield, so it really turned out to be an easy transition from the center of the windshield to the upper portion. No problems seeing stop lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
jayoder77
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing