EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps that's a silly way to characterize today.....but hey, I'm a silly guy. In any event, it's a kind-of "meh" ballot this year in Ohio; no gubernatorial or Congressional election. But there is an extremely compelling ballot issue which asks voters to decide on legalization of marijuana for both medicinal and casual use. if I'm not mistaken, similar issues in other states have previously focused initially on medical use only.

As is always the case with polarizing issues, the two sides are going bananas......the pro-forces are focusing their campaign on medical and tax revenue benefits, while the anti-forces are doing so around kids and monopolies (which is how they characterize the strict number of "authorized" growers). The issue is further complicated by a separate issue prohibiting "monopolies" in Ohio.

In other words, for an Ohio voter to be in favor of legalized marijuana for use in a practical way, one has to vote NO on monopoly Issue 2 and YES on marijuana Issue 3. The pro-forces have been campaigning heavily on this message, but I myself question if the average voter entering the ballot box will recognize the attachment the Issues have to one another when staring at the screen. FYI, Issue 2 makes no mention of marijuana in its initiative language (which I suspect few people read more than perhaps a couple or three lines max anyway).

Coming into today's vote, the polls are saying the marijuana issue is dead even with only 8% undecided; it should be a exceptionally-compelling horse race.....considering there are no candidates involved......now that the starting gates have opened this morning at 630AM. But I myself think that while Issue 3 could pass in a very close race, Issue 2 will pass huge. In other words, marijuana could very well be legalized by vote with no legislated way to grow it, well, legally.

Anything interesting up for grabs in your State ??

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I am having my husband pick me up after he gets off work and take me to the voting polls. I messed up my right leg Sunday and cannot bend it enough, or lift it high enough, to get into my Enclave. I am going to have him drive the Enclave because I can swing out and stand up, not "get up" as I would from his Q50.

No on 2 and yes on 3, is how my husband and I plan on voting. LOL and he is the more conservative one of the two of us, or rather he is a die hard Libertarian.

There is also the one concerning the alignment of the political districts and how they are drawn. The outlines are always being changed....which is pretty **** frustrating at times.

Plus, Sinclair University has an "additional operating levy" on the ballot up here. Always hitting the property owners for more taxes. I do appreciate Sinclair and I have always supported them but, I wish they would raise the cost per credit hour instead of hitting our property tax burden. It ends up being...$0.10 for each one hundred dollars of valuation for a period of 8 years, commencing in 2015, first due in calendar year 2016.

A couple local seats are up for grabs, 1 for Washington Township trustee and 2 for the Centerville School board.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
WOW....issue 1 PASSED. The new process will attempt to curtail the partisan gerrymandering of legislative districts that critics say has led to too many non-competitive districts, artificially protects the majority party’s power, and creates a system where incumbents have more fear of being challenged from the far flanks of their parties, causing them to govern in a more partisan manner. Although, sighhhh, issue 1, will not change the legislative redistricting process until 2021, when the lines are scheduled to be drawn again

Issue 2 PASSED, sadly so. I still believe that individuals who voted yes have no idea what this really accomplishes. “The messaging behind State Issue 2 appears to be built upon the mistruths that it prevents monopolies and would stop the proposed marijuana monopoly if enacted – – neither is accurate: this issue is simply an attack on Ohioans’ initiative rights,” said Maurice Thompson, Executive Director of the 1851 Center. “Issue 2 simply proposes that legislators should have a monopoly on the power to create monopolies. This change would simply force special interests to fund politicians’ campaigns, rather than directly promoting their issues to the public.”
Ohioans appear particularly unaware that the proposed amendment would eliminate their ability to use the initiative to advance any number of issues having nothing to do with monopolies, including any effort at tax reform, since the proposal would stifle an amendment that would “

Issue 3 FAILED again sadly. Instead of passing it and then taxing it to death, like they do on cigarettes and alcohol, they ignore the medical benefits. Treats migraines
THC and many of the ingredients of the marijuana plant, such as cannabidiol, have relatively potent pain-reducing and anti-inflammatory actions within the body. These effects are several hundred times more powerful than that of aspirin, allowing doctors in California to treat more than 300,000 cases of migraines with medical marijuana. This is a study from 2013 outlining 10 benefits of treatment with marijuana and cannabidol. http://www.philly.com/philly/health/10_health_benefits_of_marijuana.html#slideshow=4

Then the Sinclair additional levy passed. So guess we will be paying .10 per $100.00 in valuation of our home for the next 8 years.

My picks for school board, won as did the one for the township.

There were others on the ballot and I voted for the same ones I voted for last time.

Perhaps Ohio will get their butt in gear next time, that is, if there is one.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sailfish said:
WOW....issue 1 PASSED. The new process will attempt to curtail the partisan gerrymandering of legislative districts that critics say has led to too many non-competitive districts, artificially protects the majority party’s power, and creates a system where incumbents have more fear of being challenged from the far flanks of their parties, causing them to govern in a more partisan manner. Although, sighhhh, issue 1, will not change the legislative redistricting process until 2021, when the lines are scheduled to be drawn again

Issue 2 PASSED, sadly so. I still believe that individuals who voted yes have no idea what this really accomplishes. “The messaging behind State Issue 2 appears to be built upon the mistruths that it prevents monopolies and would stop the proposed marijuana monopoly if enacted – – neither is accurate: this issue is simply an attack on Ohioans’ initiative rights,” said Maurice Thompson, Executive Director of the 1851 Center. “Issue 2 simply proposes that legislators should have a monopoly on the power to create monopolies. This change would simply force special interests to fund politicians’ campaigns, rather than directly promoting their issues to the public.”
Ohioans appear particularly unaware that the proposed amendment would eliminate their ability to use the initiative to advance any number of issues having nothing to do with monopolies, including any effort at tax reform, since the proposal would stifle an amendment that would “

Issue 3 FAILED again sadly. Instead of passing it and then taxing it to death, like they do on cigarettes and alcohol, they ignore the medical benefits. Treats migraines
THC and many of the ingredients of the marijuana plant, such as cannabidiol, have relatively potent pain-reducing and anti-inflammatory actions within the body. These effects are several hundred times more powerful than that of aspirin, allowing doctors in California to treat more than 300,000 cases of migraines with medical marijuana. This is a study from 2013 outlining 10 benefits of treatment with marijuana and cannabidol. http://www.philly.com/philly/health/10_health_benefits_of_marijuana.html#slideshow=4
It's a shame Issue 1 even needed to go on the ballot; but even the politicians finally realized the gerrymandering was damaging to the System in general. As for the others, 2 was nothing more than the Legislature doubling-down on their stated opposition to marijuana. But what shocked me was that it passed by only 4 points,

As for Issue 3, it's pretty clear this is just like what we saw when the State first pursued gaming......which got blown out just about as badly the first time. Always easier to say NO when you only have to believe what you choose to believe; still, the pro-forces badly overplayed their hand by adding recreational use to the issue right up front (which was presumably the only way money-bags grower-types like Nick Lachey and Oscar Robertson would get involved).

For those in favor of weed in Ohio, it's going to take a dramatic re-write of the issue......and just as importantly, a lot of time. Still, I myself wouldn't anticipate legalized weed......even for medicinal purposes only.....this decade.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
For those in favor of weed in Ohio, it's going to take a dramatic re-write of the issue......and just as importantly, a lot of time. Still, I myself wouldn't anticipate legalized weed......even for medicinal purposes only.....this decade.
Which is a shame as there are so many medical benefits. Parents with children experiencing drastic seizures are uprooting their families and moving to states where medical marijuana is permitted on children.

I am more inclined to wanting approval for medical needs and research than for individual use.

BUT if it means that to get it approved for medical needs, including individual use, I say go for it.

Would I use it recreationally? Oh **** no. The ONE time I did I wound up in the hospital with an allergic reaction to something. It was an experience I sure as **** do not ever want to experience again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing