EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Has your Enclave suffered a broken wave plate?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please vote if your Enclave has experienced a wave plate failure. If you vote "Yes", please follow the link to the next poll to indicate the model year involved. After that, please follow the link within the next poll in order to indicate the approximate mileage at failure. Thanks.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=9150.new#new

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Has your Enclave suffered a broken wave plate? (Poll 1 0f 3)

Please take the time to respond to this poll in order to give us a statistically valid result. The more votes, the better. Additionally, any respondent casting a "Yes" vote is urged to also complete parts 2 and 3 of this 3 part poll. Thanks for helping out. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

waffleman said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a wave plate?
It is a part within the transmission otherwise referred to as a cushion plate. There have been several mentions of the plate cracking and causing transmission failure. Some have had the transmission rebuilt and some have had the transmission replaced. It all depends on the damage and your dealer and your warranty of course.

You can also find out more within this thread:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=9153.0

·
Registered
532 Posts

There's another data element here which would be interesting to know. While it is certainly not a causal aspect of the wave plate failures, it should be considered that the transmissions will encounter different levels of operational stresses, temperatures, etc. depending upon the level of flash code applied. While these differences will likely not be significant enough to impact the failure rate, the data could add a potentially interesting dimension to the discussion.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

I have read on the Acadia board where some are believing that it is the heat, which breaks down the properties of the transmission fluid, causing the premature failure of the wave plates. Over time the heat causes them to become brittle and break apart.

If that is the case then perhaps those who have said to change the transmission fluid starting at 30,000 miles and at the same interval after that. That is instead of taking it all the way out to the 100,000 mile mark before changing the fluid, which they state is recommended by GM.

I do know that the Sable I had the transmission failed at 99,900 miles right AFTER I had the transmission fluid changed, recommended by a mechanic (nope not my personal mechanic Ted).

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

OOPS I should have posted this on the other transmission wave plate thread and not on the poll thread...sorry.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sailfish said:
I have read on the Acadia board where some are believing that it is the heat, which breaks down the properties of the transmission fluid, causing the premature failure of the wave plates. Over time the heat causes them to become brittle and break apart.

If that is the case then perhaps those who have said to change the transmission fluid starting at 30,000 miles and at the same interval after that. That is instead of taking it all the way out to the 100,000 mile mark before changing the fluid, which they state is recommended by GM.

I do know that the Sable I had the transmission failed at 99,900 miles right AFTER I had the transmission fluid changed, recommended by a mechanic (nope not my personal mechanic Ted).
For what it's worth, my Buick dealer recommends a transmission fluid change (along with some other non-manual-indicated services) every 25,000 miles. In light that my Subaru vehicles require a similar manual-indicted 30,000 service, I figured that it couldn't hurt to do it. Maybe they know something about these transmission that I don't know, yet. ;)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

GoldEnclave said:
For what it's worth, my Buick dealer recommends a transmission fluid change (along with some other non-manual-indicated services) every 25,000 miles. In light that my Subaru vehicles require a similar manual-indicted 30,000 service, I figured that it couldn't hurt to do it. Maybe they know something about these transmission that I don't know, yet. ;)
Perhaps they do. I also was told that on the Sable should have had the transmission fluid changed on a more regular basis but I was going by what I was told to do. Learned my lesson to "read up first" before doing that. My personal mechanic Ted, found him AFTER that transmission problem, it wasn't a good idea to wait and change the fluid after reaching 100,000 miles. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

deacon_blues said:
There's another data element here which would be interesting to know. While it is certainly not a causal aspect of the wave plate failures, it should be considered that the transmissions will encounter different levels of operational stresses, temperatures, etc. depending upon the level of flash code applied. While these differences will likely not be significant enough to impact the failure rate, the data could add a potentially interesting dimension to the discussion.
Well, I can state that I had NONE of the transmission flashes done AND I had the fluid changed at 50,000 miles if that helps in the analysis.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Please keep the votes coming to make your situation known. :thumb:

·
Registered
717 Posts
This is a hard poll to fill out - on one hand I would answer 'no' - but thats deciving since mine could go any day. In some respects I think most should wait until 100k before saying 'no' - before that mileage a 'no' skews the results IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
goochman said:
This is a hard poll to fill out - on one hand I would answer 'no' - but thats deciving since mine could go any day. In some respects I think most should wait until 100k before saying 'no' - before that mileage a 'no' skews the results IMHO.
That is a very good point. I guess what I am shooting for by having a yes and no option is to get a sense of what the overall failure rate might be regardless of any variables. The additional two parts of the poll are designed to take into consideration a specific variable amongst the positive responses. Of course, the polls will take on a much greater reliability and provide a more meaningful set of data with a larger overall response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Enclave has reached whole new level of awesome workmanship and parts. Not only have I suffered the many repair attempts to the leaky roof drains, whining steering, still unfixed, and an airbag error for the passenger seat, now it's something new. After travel with the family this past weekend over the highway, I experience slipping transmission shift and subsequent loud clunk. Well at least it is still under the powertrain warranty and being repaired as I speak. Only an estimated 70k on the vehicle. Try to catch you wave...plate early. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
pcarr13 said:
The Enclave has reached whole new level of awesome workmanship and parts. Not only have I suffered the many repair attempts to the leaky roof drains, whining steering, still unfixed, and an airbag error for the passenger seat, now it's something new. After travel with the family this past weekend over the highway, I experience slipping transmission shift and subsequent loud clunk. Well at least it is still under the powertrain warranty and being repaired as I speak. Only an estimated 70k on the vehicle. Try to catch you wave...plate early. :thumb:
WOW!!!

Nearly three years before your maiden post! That HAS to be a record somewhere.

Welcome to the forum . . . Officially.

This one is an Enclave, Gold, and it makes number eleven. I like to keep ahead of the polls with the real stats. ;D

. . Falcon

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please keep the votes coming. Also you are urged to complete parts 1, 2, and 3 of this poll, when applicable, by following the links within the original post at the top of each poll. The better the response, the more accurate and informative these polls will become. Thanks. ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far, after about two months, there have only been 6 (or 7) positive votes for wave plate failure. Though there is not really a large enough sample to be highly meaningful, the failure rate is currently running at about 19%, and none of the reported failures occurred with fewer than 50,000 miles on the odometer. With only 34 votes in total, I am beginning to get the impression that extremely few Enclave owners have experienced or are even aware of wave plate failure. Hopefully the issue may be more isolated than I have been fearing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
First of all - thanks for initiating this poll for the wave plate. While it is not scientifically accurate I suspect - I agree that it tends to relieve fears of a wide spread problem. Having had a wave plate failure at 55k miles on my 2008 Enclave - I now have more confidence believing the dealer when he told me the new replacement wave plate will not be a problem. Good news for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine hasn't suffered a wave plate failure (about 46250 miles so far). I have had the steering rack and the water pump replaced. I contemplating the GMPP since I'm fearful that the wave plate will fail sometime in the next few years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The transmission on our 2008 CXL failed last night, during a 10 mile drive into Greenville, SC from our RV campground in nearby Piedmont. It will only go forward in low gear and reverse doesn't work at all. We slowly limped back to the park via surface streets and are now trying to determine what to do. The mileage is 59,500. This sounds like it might be a wave plate failure, but have no way of knowing until we can get it to a dealer.

We tow the Enclave behind our motorhome when we travel and (best case) would like to tow it back home to our local dealership in the Atlanta area for repair (140 miles). We tow with 4 wheels on the ground, not with a dolly. However, we do not want to risk doing any additional damage. Since today is a Sunday, the dealership service departments in both Atlanta and Greenville are closed, so we cannot call them for guidance until tomorrow.

Does anyone know if we can safely tow the car home without risking additional damage?

Bob

1 - 20 of 67 Posts