EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just under 500 miles but am getting horrible gas mileage. My husband is having a fit. The last two tanks have averaged 11.8 and 13.3 so it has gotten a tiny bit better. My driving conditions are mostly stop/go city with my avg. speed according to the car of 18mph which seems low to me. I'm driving in the same conditions as I did with my van and I averaged 20 mpg. I'm hoping to get atleast the posted 15mpg and I do know how to drive properly (tires inflated, no jack rabbit start/stops etc..)

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Sorry to say but it won't improve. My Enclave was built in May, I used to get 15/16 City and 21-24 Hwy mileage. Then I wanted to fix my transmission and got it upgraded, it made me somewhat happy since it became more responsive then originally (still not the best), but since that I have seen a significant drop in the mileage. City is dropped to 11-14 and Hwy is anywhere from 16-18!!!!

Gas mileage was one of the important point of consideration for us, but, at least transmission is more responsive then before

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I just took the Enclave on a 400 mile highway trip last Thursday/Friday. There were 464 miles on it when I left; we had been averaging about 18 mpg on the first couple of tanks of mixed driving. I was pleased with the average of 22.6 mpg for the trip. I expect the mileage to go up a little more once the engine gets completely broken in and I start using Mobil 1 synthetic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We drove ours over 600 miles last week. In Gatlinburg, Tennessee we averaged 15.2 mpg in bumper to bumper traffic. On I-40 though, we had 21.7 mpg. And that's while climbing some pretty steep hills, lots of down shifting, but still averaging over 60 mph.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We have 1600 miles and have been getting 14 city and 21-22 hwy (driving around 75-80 mph). I am not too thrilled with the city mileage, but my wife is a "jackrabbit" driver(so am I). We used to get about 16-17 city with our old minivan, so considering we now have AWD, not too bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife has a little over 4000 miles on her FWD Enclave. A few weeks ago we took a trip from the Mississippi Gulf Coast, up through Nashville, to West Kentucky (a little over 600 miles one way 95% interstate). On the way up (with a tail wind) we got a little better than 24 mpg, doing around 80 mph. On the way back we barely averaged 21 mpg, but we were driving into the wind and it was raining most of the way. My wife is an interior decorator and does lots of stop and go driving, she gets about 16.5 mpg in her daily driving. So far we've been happy with the gas mileage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Came back from Chicago yesterday & got 24mpg on the Interstate for about 200 miles @ 70-75mph. Around town we get about 15-16, generally closer to 15 on short trips, stop & go. Not a jack-rabbit driver trying to beat the next guy to the stop light which a lot of people do. I have never understood why people are in such a hurry to get to the next stoplight...they don't drive looking ahead past the hood....my opinion. We have 5000 miles on our Enclave.
This is not a Prius..its a 2.5 ton vehicle with 275hp. Gets what I think is respectable mileage on the highway, if you have any kind of a lead foot in town mileage will suffer dramatically.

Sorry a little off topic....

·
Registered
333 Posts
One thing to consider and maybe some of the folks "in-the-know" can educate me (us) is how the DIC works.

The only mileage I trust is miles driven divided by gallons pumped. If we start our 'claves and let them idle and get toasty we are getting "0" mpg for a period of time, I don't know how the DIC averages that into your mileage figure. Also, everyone does know how to zero the MPG average on the DIC by pressing and holding the check mark, right? That way you can fiddle with different ways to drive the car to achieve higher mileage or undo a average MPG that is figured with a bunch of idling time.

I drove a fair distance over the weekend, since my car only had about 150 miles on it I drove 55 on the PA t'pike. I varied the speed slightly (53-57) for a 25ish mile jaunt and zeroed the DIC when I got on the highway. I averaged almost 28MPG in an AWD CXL!! After getting off and paying the toll I drove another 15 miles on a state highway at 55ish, I got 24.7MPG overall for the trip, impressive. It won't happen again, driving that slow around here can get you killed!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
johnt26 said:
One thing to consider and maybe some of the folks "in-the-know" can educate me (us) is how the DIC works.

The only mileage I trust is miles driven divided by gallons pumped. If we start our 'claves and let them idle and get toasty we are getting "0" mpg for a period of time, I don't know how the DIC averages that into your mileage figure. Also, everyone does know how to zero the MPG average on the DIC by pressing and holding the check mark, right? That way you can fiddle with different ways to drive the car to achieve higher mileage or undo a average MPG that is figured with a bunch of idling time.

I drove a fair distance over the weekend, since my car only had about 150 miles on it I drove 55 on the PA t'pike. I varied the speed slightly (53-57) for a 25ish mile jaunt and zeroed the DIC when I got on the highway. I averaged almost 28MPG in an AWD CXL!! After getting off and paying the toll I drove another 15 miles on a state highway at 55ish, I got 24.7MPG overall for the trip, impressive. It won't happen again, driving that slow around here can get you killed!!
I kind of did an experiment with mine and posted it under My first road trip about a month ago. I wanted to know how accurate the DIC was when it came to mpg and gas used. We had one guy run out of gas when his DIC said that he had several gallons left in the tank and should easily have made it. You can look up that thread if you like. I found mine to be very accurate when I reset everything at the pump, went on my trip, then filled up and calculated the mpg by hand as well as how much I put in compared to what the DIC said that I had used. They were very comparable in fact almost exact. During my breakin I drove to NJ which is over 200 miles for me. If you want to have fun, drive 55 through NJ on the turnpike. You have not lived until you have done that. I did get 26.5 mpg though and on the way back (I was now past 500 miles) I drove 70-75 and got 24.5 on pure highway driving (set when I left the pump and not reset until I was home and filled her up again). I found the DIC to be right on! Around town with short 5-10 mile trips I average 16-18. This is compared to my pilot which was smaller and supposably got good mpg. The BEST I ever did in that was 22.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you want to have fun, drive 55 through NJ on the turnpike. You have not lived until you have done that.
Hahaha, Bsox! I think you are darn lucky to be alive to talk about it! ;D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Enclave and bsox, PA drivers are mostly from the city of brotherly love :angel:, THEY are fine...it was those darn Jersey Girls >:D trying to kill me on the PA t'pike!!

Talk about lucky to be alive driving at 55 during break-in, I had to take it into the median a couple of times to prevent a 50 car pile-up! :-\

·
Registered
333 Posts
jlmoore1 said:
I am getting a little over 20 for mostly city driving on my FWD! I am happy! :blob:
That's great....how do you do it? No ethanol and FWD maybe? The only way I could get 20 around town is if my kids pushed half the ride!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mileage is my one disappointment - 11-13 around town in my 2009 AWD. Not enough freeway driving to measure yeat, but the DIC showed about 21-22 when I reset it and drove about 20 miles at 65. I had hope it would improve with more miles but I'm up to 1800 and no diff. I do like the performance though!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a 2009 with about 6k miles. I haven't noticed a mileage difference since we have owned it. We do get better than 13 mpg though. My wife, driving some city some highway to work avg's about 19. On trips with no wind, I can get about 23 doing 70. When the wind is against me, we get about 20 at 70.

A lot has to do with your right foot and how high you let the RPM's get. I try hard not to let it get over 2500 RPM's. Sometimes it gets close to 3k, but I try real hard not to let that happen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm getting 16+, mostly city driving here after 1900 miles since late June, so, I'm happy. Better than 14 mpg when I first got the Enclave. Perhaps I've eased up...or the Buick has...not sure which. Can hardly wait for the first oil change to get synthetic flowing through it. My hwy mpg is 19+ avg usually, but can get up to 22+.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have ~750 miles on my 2010 AWD Enclave. The first tank yielded about 16.5 MPG in all urban driving. The second tank was about half city, half interstate. It got 17.1 MPG. Halfway through the third tank I'm averaging 21 MPG.
The DIC is pretty accurate. Especially on the amount of fuel consumed. The above figures came from dividing miles driven by amount of gas to fill the tank. Both times the actual MPG was within 0.1-0.3 MPG of the DIC figure.
Most of my interstate driving was 72-75 MPH. At 72 MPH the engine turns about 1900 RPM. I discovered that with the cruise set at 65 the engine turns only 1700 RPM. I probably will be able to get the 23 MPG at that rate.
The first two tanks of gas were "regular", 87 octane gas. On the most recent tank, I bought the 89 octane at a BP station.
There are too many variables to arrive at any conclusions at this stage. I'm not unhappy with the mileage. It appears to be at, or near, the published mileage for this vehicle. Going forward I intend to buy gas at places like BP, Mobil, Phillips and Shell; instead of Pilot, Marathon, Speedway. I plan to experiment with the 89 octane gas for a while. If I could somehow be satisfied driving at 65 MPH on the interstate, I most likely will do very well with gas mileage.

·
Registered
381 Posts
All GM vehicles use the PCM to calculate fuel economy with input from injector PW and VSS. The result is fuel used x miles driven. More accurate than filling the tank,driving and refilling.

·
Registered
162 Posts
redvett said:
All GM vehicles use the PCM to calculate fuel economy with input from injector PW and VSS. The result is fuel used x miles driven. More accurate than filling the tank,driving and refilling.
So you believe the DIC mileage figure is accurate?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts