EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having the transmission upgraded this past Wednesday I am seeing significant drop in the MPG, I expected a drop, which was also mentioned in GM's letter. I used to get 16MPG in City now it is down to 10MPG. I wonder how long will it last? When the new system is going to learn my driving habbit and become more efficient?

·
Registered
33 Posts
When my trans update was done, my MPG went from 16/17 mpg to 5/6 mpg. There was a software problem causing this. It was fixed and my mpg is back to normal. I'll bet the same is happening to you. Take it back to the dealership ASAP.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I want to drive it for another 100 miles before I will take it back to the dealer. Has anyone else noticed it? Or they didnt see a drop in MPG after the transmission software upgrade?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Didn't someone post that two different modules need to be updated and if your dealer only did one, or did one incorrectly, the mileage and odometer would be all out of whack? I say check your odometer against a known distance and see what you get.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The distance is fine, the problem is with MPG, i can try filling up the tank drive it 10 miles and fill up again to see if i put 1 gallon in it or less. Since I took last week off, most of my driving was local at most 5-6 miles. But I still should see 15/16 MPG I used to see.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
zman said:
Didn't someone post that two different modules need to be updated and if your dealer only did one, or did one incorrectly, the mileage and odometer would be all out of whack? I say check your odometer against a known distance and see what you get.
That was me! I was getting opposite results (48 MPG........not really!) because the odometer was going 3X faster than normal IE.......I drove 10 miles and it showed 30! Thus "great" fuel mileage assumed by computer for gas used. I did lose 1-2 MPG on both local/highway as I "enjoyed" the tranny's willingness to downshift so easily now ;D

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it is getting better (or may be too early to say). I took it one day to work this week and did mix driving, got 17.7MPG. I used to get 20.8 before the upgrade. Another thing is that I am enjoying the new transmission programming and driving a bit in a zoom-zoom way. But it should affect it this much.

More to follow.....

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
coop said:
I think it is getting better (or may be too early to say). I took it one day to work this week and did mix driving, got 17.7MPG. I used to get 20.8 before the upgrade. Another thing is that I am enjoying the new transmission programming and driving a bit in a zoom-zoom way. But it should affect it this much.

More to follow.....

COOP
I'm with you. 1-3 MPG less here! But I too am enjoying the new vitality as it downshifts so smooth now! I know I am the cause!! It's a heavy truck to accelerate so much! Only 300 miles since re-flash. Will monitor more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Responding to zman....my odometer also clocking 3 miles for every mile driven....also my fuel economy 61 mpg and my average speed 124 mph!!! (Detroit must have added the autobahn!). I have an appt with dealer, who swears that the recent software update could never have cause the problem!! (this is after he called me 'honey' and suggested that the settings were in metric.....after I informed him that metric to english wasn't 3 to 1, I asked for the service manager!!)

In any case, can you tell me what the fix was on yours? I find it incredible that drivers are experiencing these issues and (1) the dealers haven't been informed by Buick and (2) Buick hasn't sent another customer letter....maybe this will be a nice way for GM to recover profitability - at this rate, I'll be 120,000 miles over my lease limit at the end of the lease term :D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Dgre said:
Responding to zman....my odometer also clocking 3 miles for every mile driven....also my fuel economy 61 mpg and my average speed 124 mph!!! (Detroit must have added the autobahn!). I have an appt with dealer, who swears that the recent software update could never have cause the problem!! (this is after he called me 'honey' and suggested that the settings were in metric.....after I informed him that metric to english wasn't 3 to 1, I asked for the service manager!!)

In any case, can you tell me what the fix was on yours? I find it incredible that drivers are experiencing these issues and (1) the dealers haven't been informed by Buick and (2) Buick hasn't sent another customer letter....maybe this will be a nice way for GM to recover profitability - at this rate, I'll be 120,000 miles over my lease limit at the end of the lease term :D
Hi! I was one who had a 3-1 incorrect ratio, after tranny re-flash! All they had to do was "re-flash a second module", they said. Took 1 hour and worked well. Tranny shifts/downshifts better! Mileage loss about 1-3 MPg as I "like driving" it now ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh God!

Is that the probable reason for our enclave to be getting an average of 11 miles per gallon? Should I be looking to talk to the service folks to get the PCU reflashed or something along those lines?

If anyone could post links, scans, or TSB's about the TWO flashes that need to be done, I would be greatly appreciative.

The really weak mileage has been a concern of mine all last week, when we picked up the car.

Thanks in advance

Lucas

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it what you are getting on Highway or City? Mine stays around 11/12 in City and as much as 18.5 on Highway.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Mine was built in 08/07 and on my first trip I averaged 21.5 on the way to pittsburgh via the turnpike and 19.5 on the way back......I asked the dealer and he informed me it already had the update for the transmission in it as do all built after 08/07. He felt my mileage would get better. I hope!

·
Registered
66 Posts
coop said:
Is it what you are getting on Highway or City? Mine stays around 11/12 in City and as much as 18.5 on Highway.
City Driving stays around that. Im planning a long trip this weekend, so I guess I'll see what kind of mileage I get with a lot of highway driving.

Am I hearing correct that mileage improves as the car gets "broken in" more?

thanks

Lucas

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
lucasszy said:
City Driving stays around that. Im planning a long trip this weekend, so I guess I'll see what kind of mileage I get with a lot of highway driving.

Am I hearing correct that mileage improves as the car gets "broken in" more?

thanks

Lucas
Yes as things loosen up a little. the buzz on this site has been around 2000 miles or so...I am over that now and haven't notice any bump myself .

·
Registered
64 Posts
bsox said:
Yes as things loosen up a little. the buzz on this site has been around 2000 miles or so...I am over that now and haven't notice any bump myself .
My Dad would get a new company car every year for his work and told me it takes about 12-13k miles before he would see his MPG improve. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In response to problems with MPG incorrect, yes I denoted that in the letter prior to the transmission upgrade,and it is reading low & high.
But my major concern is our Odometer is grossly incorrect. Our odometer reads 4000 approx we have estimated that we have driven 2200 to 2500 approx. so the odometer is off by 1800 -1500 miles. I see a few postings of similar problems? Has any one got this resolved? Dealer says they no nothing , Onstar says call Buick, I have no idea , other than it must be remedied for all the miles & the warranty issues. Please help

·
Registered
758 Posts
star3765 said:
In response to problems with MPG incorrect, yes I denoted that in the letter prior to the transmission upgrade,and it is reading low & high.
But my major concern is our Odometer is grossly incorrect. Our odometer reads 4000 approx we have estimated that we have driven 2200 to 2500 approx. so the odometer is off by 1800 -1500 miles. I see a few postings of similar problems? Has any one got this resolved? Dealer says they no nothing , OnStar says call Buick, I have no idea , other than it must be remedied for all the miles & the warranty issues. Please help
Volkswagen had a problem with their odometers being a bit (5-10%) optimistic and they extended their warranty to compensate. Buick needs to do this too, but it is not as evenly distributed as VW had, so how they will do this I don't know. Perhaps just having it documented at the dealer when the problem is fixed so that if a warranty issue is ever brought up after it expires from a mileage standpoint, it could be argued.

I doubt they would give anyone a hard time if it is well documented.

TM

·
Registered
358 Posts
Star, Honda is in the midst of a class action lawsuit b/c of odometer misreading. I'm a plantiff and they are scheduled to pay for 5% overage for mileage if you lease and cover the warranty 5% over. I would bring this up to Buick immediately and see their response. I know in my case I have to pay the money at lease end and am awaiting a refund check from Honda.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tinman & Enclavious,
Thank you for your response....I called the Dealer again after reading all the post on here yesterday . I am awaiting a reply, but I will follow up on the possible alternatives for written acknowledgement of the problem. In hopes that they would cover any warranty issues after my 50, 000 and extend accordingly. By the way, I also found condensation in my left Headlamp............. Another FYI, my tire pressure sensor keeps indicating low pressure in L R tire, they supposedly changed the valve stem. Still a problem. On a positive note..wonderful ride, traction w/ AWD & all the luxury features...AHHH plush & stylish all around.
Sincerely,
Star

1 - 20 of 26 Posts