EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a used 2010 Enclave CLX-2 and couldn't be more excited. Got a decent price because the person didn't take the time to clean/detail the car before selling it. I wanted to know those of you that have had your Enclave detailed: about how much does it cost? I'm trying to get estimates now because I would love to get this car looking back to its near new full potential. It was kept in great condition but they previous owners had kids so it definitely needs to the works both exterior and interior including some carpet shampooing to get out every little stain. Any tips or emphasis on what you've found needs extra attention detailing would also be appreciated.

Very excited to read everything I can possibly learn from this forum and happy to see such a great group of Enclave owners exists.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the cost of a detail depends on how much you want done, as well as how good of a job you want done. Are you a perfectionist? For many people, the cheap detail you get at the local car wash is good enough. The local detail place here has a $20 deal which is wash and vacuum. For more like $100, they wash, clean the interior, and wax. If you really want it to look showroom new, it will probably cost more like $200 and more, which is probably more what you want if the interior is bad. This will also include polishing the paint before they wax. It costs this much because they will be spending 4+ hours on it, and the quality detailers will charge $30-50/hr. Watch out for people that claim to do a complete detail including polishing for a cheap price of $100 or less (charging more like $10-20/hr). They really aren't doing a quality job, and will use waxes with fillers that will wash off soon afterwards.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can get all the products and tools you need for the cost of a full detail ($200-300) and do it yourself periodically.

·
Registered
169 Posts
$200 - $250 sounds right for a professional detail. Look for a PROFESSIONAL detail shop that provides that 'clay bar' service as part of the detailing process, especially if you're looking for 'showroom' shine. You can count on the shop spending 4+ hours on it for a complete detail. Just make sure that rain isn't in the forecast for a few days after you have the detail done. This way you can enjoy your shine for a few days (and the polish/wax can cure into the car's finish). After this initial investment, you should do a home detail every six months.

·
Registered
265 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. you'll find many wonderful characters here with lots of helpful advice. and congrats on your new ride, hope you get many years of enjoyment from it. i inquired around my area and one place wanted $125 for full detail inside and wax and polish exterior. i thought the guy was taking the micky so i did it all myself with meguires products. probably spent close to that in the products but the satisfaction of doing it myself was worth it. plus getting that close to the whole car i noticed things that i i didnt before.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I have a friend detail mine, didn't get it done this fall but will in the spring. He charges $125 and does an amazing job. The finish is smooth as silk and the inside is spot free. LOL although there aren't any spots inside as we have no children riding in the Enclave and our dogs, I use the VUE.

Have had him detail the 03 VUE and my husband's skateboard (2005 350Z) and they always look amazing.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Here was my thread last on mine last year:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=12393.0

:( Mine doesn't look that clean at the moment, and....misfire still going on, will get that fixed eventually.....ugh, upkeep on vehicles can get old, but having a detail once in a while brings that new car feeling back.

Maybe next summer.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies and warm welcoming messages. Since my post I got my first quote back from the top Yelp review place in my area $495!!! Needless to say I will be seeking some more quotes. I would be fine in the $200-250 range but at $500 I'd rather spend a day with the vehicle myself scrubbing every inch and purchasing the supplies myself. Here is the break down of their quote:

We would recommend our Car Selling/Trade In Complete Package. This package includes spot micro compounding that would address the areas with the smaller/minor surface scratches and is included in this package.

Our Car Selling/Trade In Complete Package includes:

Machine compounding as needed for scratches or dull paint
Performed by a detailer with at least 5+ years professional experience with our company and a minimum of 2,000 autos
Machine Polish/Wax Sealant to Restore Gloss after compounding (Helps to temporarily fill in and reduce the appearance of scratches)
Full Vacuum
Stain Treatment to carpet and upholstery
Shampoo carpet, floor mats, seats and upholstery
Power scrub carpet, floor mats, seats, and upholstery
Heated Steam Extraction
Pressure Wash and extract floor mats (Best cleaning possible for floor mats)
Clean and Scrub all interior plastic, vinyl, leather and leatherette
Dress and Protect all plastic, vinyl, leather and leatherette (Restores new look to these surfaces and materials)
Mirror and Window Cleaning
Hand Wash
Clean Wheels
Moderate Bug and Tar Removal
Tire Shine/Protectant
Thorough clean door, trunk, and gas cap area
​Clean and dress/protectant exterior trim and plastic/polish exterior metal and chrome
​Clay Bar Treatment to all Exterior Paint-this service is tedious and is a labor intensive process that leaves paint extremely clean and smooth. This removes all fine debris and contaminants prior to the polishing and sealant application.

The price for this package for the SUV is $400.

For the deeper scratches touch up paint would need to be added and recommended. To add touch up paint for these 2 areas specified would be an additional $45 for the touch up paint and additional $50 for application. These areas would still be noticeable up close due to the texture difference but is still recommended to re-protect the area.

This does include leather cleaning, treatment and protectant. However, due to the nature of the dye in blue jeans this can sometimes only become lighter in stain and can not completely come out. However we will do our best to make it as minimal as possible by professional detailing methods. We do not offer leather repair or mending at this time.

We are completely mobile and bring water and power with us. Our process would take about 4-4.5 hours to complete with 2 Lead Detailers working on the SUV. Please let us know if you would like to schedule an appointment or have any questions.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Here was my thread last on mine last year:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=12393.0

:( Mine doesn't look that clean at the moment, and....misfire still going on, will get that fixed eventually.....ugh, upkeep on vehicles can get old, but having a detail once in a while brings that new car feeling back.

Maybe next summer.....
That's true about washing and detailing a car. It definitely reignites the passion with a car, even as it starts to age. ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts
kjparfekt said:
Thanks for the quick replies and warm welcoming messages. Since my post I got my first quote back from the top Yelp review place in my area $495!!! Needless to say I will be seeking some more quotes. I would be fine in the $200-250 range but at $500 I'd rather spend a day with the vehicle myself scrubbing every inch and purchasing the supplies myself. Here is the break down of their quote:
[/i]
See, that's a true professional business doing detailing. You see at the end they have two guys doing four hours, so that's 8 total, so essentially $50/hr. There are no guarantees they do top notch work, but if they can charge that much, then they most likely do very good work. The biggest time/cost is the polishing. For $495, I'm guessing they are quoting a full 2-3 step polish. That is where they use a compound to polish out the deeper scratches. It's a lot like using a rough grit sandpaper, as then they need to follow the compound with a fine polish to bring out the shine. Probably 3/4 of the time they spend will be in the polishing stages. And they can do it fast. It probably takes me 4-6 hours just to do one step of polishing on ours. Again, if your interior is pretty bad, I don't see you getting a quality detail for less than $300-400 unless you skip the polishing part of it. You've got an hour in the wash/wax steps. If the interior is bad like you say, that could be two hours or more alone. So you're talking at minimum $100-150 before any polishing.

For a better price, your best bet might be to go to Autopia.org or Autogeek.net and go to the forums and see if there is someone in your area that would be able to do it. You might find someone that does it as a hobby type thing and charges a little less. While you are there, take a look at the show n shine section where people show off their details. Most will show a panel with a 50/50 shot of something like the hood showing the paint before and after polishing, and the results can be astounding.

Again, you can get all the stuff you need to do it yourself for about $300. But like kids said, detailing is not for everyone. I like the results, but I don't look forward to doing it either. Depending on how far you want to take it, doing a two step polish along with everything else could take you 15 hours on an Enclave for the first time. But if you like doing your own work, and don't have a bad back, it might be worth it. If you wash properly after the detail, you shouldn't have to put so much time into it after that. Maybe a yearly claybar and fine polish to get it in top shape again.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
That's true about washing and detailing a car. It definitely reignites the passion with a car, even as it starts to age. ;)
Like anything else, when you DIY, you really get to know your vehicle, be it under the hood or the exterior. After waxing the Enclave, which I do not enjoy but feel is a must, I love waxing the BMW. Not only is the paint so much nicer and consistent, the surface area is so small, that there's nothing to complain about.

When doing the Enclave, I realized there was sand under the paint which kinda made me want to pull a Billy Jack. :banghead:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a 2008 - and while the leather seats have stood up REALLY WELL as no cracks or wrinkles - the do look dull and somewhat dirty looking and not the pristine grey color. I have tried leather cleaners such as Metrotech Vinyl & Leather Conditioner and it hasn't really done much. Can anyone suggest a product I can use to restore the look of my leather seats?

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
My "Cherry-Ot" has the Titaniuim leather interior also. I use the full line of Meguiar's from spray cleaner, spray conditioner(b/c if you use a paste it gets into the holes), and their leather wipes intermittently between thorough cleanings.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have yet to try it, but a lot of people like a woolite and water mix for cleaning leather. Something around a 10 part water to 1 part woolite or a little stronger.

·
Registered
795 Posts
to clean the titanium leather I've always used non-bleach, white dawn dish detergent and then conditioned them with a Meguiars product. I try to use the soap sparingly as to not dry out the leather. I was talking to a guy at church that works the repair line where the Lambda's are made and he tipped me off on the Dawn dish detergent. He said that's all GM will let them use in the factory to clean the seats.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm really surprised by that. Everywhere on detailing forums they warn against prolonged use if Dawn because it will dry out plastics and rubber. It seems like the same would apply for leather.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've been using it for the three years I've had my Traverse with Titanium Leather and my seats look great and have not dried out. It also takes the dye left behind from blue jeans really well. I do of course put the leather conditioner on them after cleaning them with the soap. My theory is that the soap has conditioners in it to help your hands from getting dried out, it should work the same on the leather? Just a theory.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Grimm said:
I'm really surprised by that. Everywhere on detailing forums they warn against prolonged use if Dawn because it will dry out plastics and rubber. It seems like the same would apply for leather.
. True. Blue Dawn is used to strip the initial wax off a new car in some multi stage detailing systems. A no no IMHO.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
i love how these guys pump up the description of the work performed. just like i do with menu descriptions. for a "meat pie with tomato sauce" i could charge $6.99. if i "deconstruct" it, and call it "slow roasted beef in a caramelized onion jus, wrapped in a handmade 7 fold dough and finished with french flaky pastry. baked till golden brown and served with a tomato and balsamic vinegar reduction", i can charge $24.99.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
mifd118 said:
i love how these guys pump up the description of the work performed. just like i do with menu descriptions. for a "meat pie with tomato sauce" i could charge $6.99. if i "deconstruct" it, and call it "slow roasted beef in a caramelized onion jus, wrapped in a handmade 7 fold dough and finished with french flaky pastry. baked till golden brown and served with a tomato and balsamic vinegar reduction", i can charge $24.99.
lol we live in a society that is able to justify the lazification of our peeps. My dad cleaned his own gutters, did his own taxes, cleared out 7 acres of trees with me when I was 10, changed his own oil, fabricated his own fuel line to his buick 350 V8. This eas how people behaved in the 80's.

Today, you have people calling hr block to file their 1040ez for them. People brag that they make 6 figures and don't know math.

My son was born in2013, but guess what? To borrow the words of the late Tony Soprano, "In our house, we change our own tires."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts