EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article on a Premium Name Brand vehicle, and it was mentioned that on rough roads, there was a noticeable bounce with the Articulating Headlights. I'm wondering if any Enclave Owners have noticed any similar problems with theirs. I believe we're safe. Our Forum Members have had theirs long enough now that if there was a problem, it probably would have been reported by now. Right ???

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have not seen any bounce but admittedly I have not been on any particularly rough road.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Would seem odd to see bounce. Since the lights are HID they are really a "gas filled" instead of using a filament. I would think that might help prevent bounce.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What is headlight bounce?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hmmm, head lights bouncing ?I used to see a lot of them before i traded my vette in for this thing .
i hope it still happens......we are talking about the same thing right? > ;) :angel:

·
Registered
8 Posts
rocketman said:
I read an article on a Premium Name Brand vehicle, and it was mentioned that on rough roads, there was a noticeable bounce with the Articulating Headlights. I'm wondering if any Enclave Owners have noticed any similar problems with theirs. I believe we're safe. Our Forum Members have had theirs long enough now that if there was a problem, it probably would have been reported by now. Right ???
Some of the HIDs that have articlulating headlamps are also self leveling (up and down) as well as turning side to side...I think the Enclave is only side to side

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Joe-drum said:
Hmmm, head lights bouncing ?I used to see a lot of them before i traded my vette in for this thing .
i hope it still happens......we are talking about the same thing right? > ;) :angel:
:rofl:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Joe-drum said:
I just got that! LMAO

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Well not the kind of headlights Joe-drum is talking about.

But I have noticed the headlights of the Enclave to bounce a bit when driving over the bumps, which is usual in NYC area. Mine have articulating headlamps, I wonder if thats the reason?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Mazda3 that has projector headlights. What is ment by bouncing head lights is when driving on a very dark back road that is uneven the lights, because they have what is called a sharp drop off will bounce up and down. For me it gives an appearance of driving in front of a black wall, the top half is black and the bottom half is white with a strong difference. The white light does not blend into the dark part of the road. So now you have a dark upper half and light lower half bouncing up and down, up and down up and down. I find tham annoying. Also mine at times don't even illumunate signs on those dark roads. I am sure the Enclave will give the same appearance. Park in front of a wall and turn the headlights on now think of the image on the wall bouncing up and down for miles and miles. On any sharp dips they disappear as they do not flare up enough.:blob:. Annoying? In my opinion projector headlights is a horrible evolution. Manufactures should have stuck with reflector housing and HID bulbs. :blob: You have to experience to see what i am talking about, but then again maybe the Enclaves lights are different than mine as I have not driven one on a very very dark back road.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
rocketman said:
NOW that you mention it...............once and just once, I think I saw what you would describe as a headlite, shining down the road "shake/bounce" as a loose housing would do! I forgot this one episode, and can''t remember if brights were on or not!

As I understand it, ONE HID (Xenon gas filled!) bulb is slightly tilted by a solenoid "motor" when you select "brights". This is why................................

we can't "flash to pass" with the HID set-up, (nothing to do w/ moving (articulating) headlites, just the fact that any HID bulb takes 1-2 seconds to illuminate to full capacity, and would not work w/a quick flash. It does work when you are already driving w/ the headlites on , cause the solenoid just flips the already lighted bulb a little, for a moment (changing rear reflectors aim).

I think this solenoid "floats" a little, and a hard bump can shake it a bit, to make a small flutter (bounce). I will test mine, but currently believe it is only susceptable while "extended" in the full bright driving position. Maybe that's why it's not heavliy reported yet! Will report back soon!

BUT they do help slightly in a turn, increase visibility a bit, and when aimed properly, blind no one. :eek:

Any solutions to the "flash to pass" problem?? I'm currently hitting the FOG lite button (center of round master light switch) but they are not always recognized as a "flash" by other motorists! I have nothing else that's bright , when lites are off during daytime operation. Suggestions????

·
Registered
184 Posts
:blob: Bouncing headlights? Remember, if the car itself is bouncing due to a rough road, the headlights will move with the car. But what kind of roads are you driving on?? If they're bad enough to shake your headlights you have other things to worry about.

Big Larry
[/color]

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yeah, but there is an aftershock after the vehicle bounce, so the headlights will bounce even after your vehicle is done. If you live in Metro NYC area then you dont have to go very far to find a bouncy road.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Big Larry said:
:blob: Bouncing headlights? Remember, if the car itself is bouncing due to a rough road, the headlights will move with the car. But what kind of roads are you driving on?? If they're bad enough to shake your headlights you have other things to worry about.

Big Larry
[/color]
Big........I can figure that out ;) but this is different! Roads in NY get nasty! Saw it only once so far. Still studying. I also think it is the Articu type, mentioned by Coop. I too have them.

Anybody got suggestions on "flash to pass" ???? Wearing out that fog lite button.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts