EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, OK, not really the main headlight. There's a yellow light that comes on when you lock/unlock at the top outer arc of the headlamp glass. Just noticed today that my lefty isn't on. Ever. Guess, I'll be headed over to the dealer. Never noticed it before so can't say if it's ever been on, or if it just burned out. Geez, I've only had the car since Nov. 2. Anybody else?

I love my car. Came out of an Audi A8L, so it's taking some getting used to, but it's going to work out great.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't think any one here has had a light out yet. You're the first, I believe. Shouldn't cost you to have it fixed, just some time, which we have very little extra this time of year!

Welcome to the Forum and to Buick!
[/color] :angel:

·
Registered
103 Posts
twopoodles said:
Well, OK, not really the main headlight. There's a yellow light that comes on when you lock/unlock at the top outer arc of the headlamp glass. Just noticed today that my lefty isn't on. Ever. Guess, I'll be headed over to the dealer. Never noticed it before so can't say if it's ever been on, or if it just burned out. Geez, I've only had the car since Nov. 2. Anybody else?

I love my car. Came out of an Audi A8L, so it's taking some getting used to, but it's going to work out great.
wow, that's early. Wonder if it could be an electrical issue?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Bet it was out on day 1. Or.....did your hubby adjust the laser park sensor (you mention in another post) in your garage right?? ;) ;D

You have good taste in autos!

·
Registered
184 Posts
All light bulbs, regardless of type or size, have a life expectancy rating usually measured in hours. That life expectancy rating -- let's take 10,000 hours as an example -- is the point at which 50% of the bulbs in a large sample will have failed (when operated at the voltage and conditions for which the bulb was designed). The graph of the life of bulbs in a large sample is a bell curve: a very small percentage fail early, then as the number of hours increases, so does the number of failed bulbs. Half the bulbs will last for more than the rated number of hours, and a few will survive for double or triple the rated life. Why should there be such differences in the life of light bulbs when manufacturing tolerances are so tight? Sometimes it is minute differences in the filaments, but more often it is differences in the conditions under which the bulbs operated. Variations in line voltage, ambient temperature, vibration, and the design of auxiliary equipment such as sockets, ballasts, transformers, all affect bulb life.

And then again, early bulb failure is often traced to a loose wire! You wouldn't believe how many times people call an appliance repairman, who discovers that the refrigerator isn't running because the plug got pulled out (same applies to computers).

Big "Light Bulb" Larry
[/color] :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Big Larry said:
All light bulbs, regardless of type or size, have a life expectancy rating usually measured in hours. That life expectancy rating -- let's take 10,000 hours as an example -- is the point at which 50% of the bulbs in a large sample will have failed (when operated at the voltage and conditions for which the bulb was designed). The graph of the life of bulbs in a large sample is a bell curve: a very small percentage fail early, then as the number of hours increases, so does the number of failed bulbs. Half the bulbs will last for more than the rated number of hours, and a few will survive for double or triple the rated life. Why should there be such differences in the life of light bulbs when manufacturing tolerances are so tight? Sometimes it is minute differences in the filaments, but more often it is differences in the conditions under which the bulbs operated. Variations in line voltage, ambient temperature, vibration, and the design of auxiliary equipment such as sockets, ballasts, transformers, all affect bulb life.

And then again, early bulb failure is often traced to a loose wire! You wouldn't believe how many times people call an appliance repairman, who discovers that the refrigerator isn't running because the plug got pulled out (same applies to computers).

Big "Light Bulb" Larry
Wow where the **** did that come from, lawyer/author/electrical engineer Larry....All that info, no punch line ??? Did you not have enough coffee this AM?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Man, I'm an authority on all kinds of ****!

Big "Know It All" Larry
[/color]

bsox said:
Wow where the **** did that come from, lawyer/author/electrical engineer Larry....All that info, no punch line ??? Did you not have enough coffee this AM?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I agree it probably was out on day one. Wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been walking straight towards the front of the car while unlocking w/ the remote. Speaking of things that don't work, my second remote doesn't....don't know if it ever did. Probably just a battery, but still....

Back to the headlight, don't even suggest it might be electrical. I had my fill of electrical issues w/ my Audi A8L, which supposedly was just a fluke. Uh-huh. I loved that car, too bad it had so many issues. If this car turns out to have electrical issues, I will go ballistic. :banghead:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Big Larry said:
because the plug got pulled out (same applies to computers).

Big "Light Bulb" Larry
Quick funny computer story...many years ago, early in the computer age, my wife called me to say that the computer was locked up and she had tried rebooting and using the on/off switch and all but it was still locked up. I said, pull the plug and plug it back in, she said she did but it was still on!

I told her to grab the kids and leave the house, it must be possessed!! >:D

Of course it was the wrong plug...my wife is a very smart women (flies Boeing 777s for a living)...computers can mess people up!!

You know the saying, "to err is human, to really screw-up requires a computer!" :banghead:

Sorry for the thread hijack...now back to your regularly scheduled thread ;D...BTW, all my lights are working so far! :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is that little yellow light called?
Upper marker light, upper parking light, Doohickey light....?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts