EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the heated wiper fluid and it only looked like a regular spray of fluid? Should there be steam? Temperature was 40 degrees, I was only doing it to try them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've used my heated wiper fluid quite a few times and have never noted steam actually coming out of the nozzles. The fluid doesn't get that hot. Anyone else notice steam?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The video by the company that makes the heated wiper fluid system shows a much more impressive blast of hot fluid.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have used mine several times to clear ice, and if it is cold enough it steams plenty. It is a lot colder than 40F where I live though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree. It will have to be colder than 40 degrees. You can't even see your own breath at 40.
Steam will depend mainly upon temp and dew point, much like fog.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Does anyone know if this can be added to an Enclave without the Driver Confidence package? We didn't want the backup beeper nor the remote start.

TM

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Tin Man said:
Does anyone know if this can be added to an Enclave without the Driver Confidence package? We didn't want the backup beeper nor the remote start.

TM
I wnet back through the brochure and don't find it listed anywhere except as part of the Driver Confidence pkg. There are aftermarket systems you can install but they are pretty pricey.

·
Registered
325 Posts
nickyd said:
I have used mine several times to clear ice, and if it is cold enough it steams plenty. It is a lot colder than 40F where I live though.
In northern Illinois we've had plenty of chances to use this so far this year. It works great & of course you won't see steam unless its cold enough. Really nice option in areas where you have nasty winter conditions.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would like to interject some science into this discussion. What you are seeing is not steam, it's condensing water vapor. I doubt very much that the temperatures needed to produce steam are reached in the washer fluid heating process. The ambient air temperature will determine to a great degree what you see when the washer releases fluid. That's today's science lecture. Thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I love it when you talk technical! ;D

TM

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Mom's Clave and Jacko are right! Steam is at 212 degrees and higher. You don't breathe steam when you "see" your breath, outside in winter ;) Yes it's water vapor.

Picture your wife hitting the Hot Wash button as you go to free a frozen wiper blade, and STEAMING water comes out! Shades of McDonald's scalding coffee :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tin Man said:
You can always disable the backup beeper (not sure *why* you would want to, I love it!) and not use the remote start, but then again you'll be paying a lot for the heated wipers....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Backup beeper???

·
Registered
758 Posts
OKCCowboy said:
Backup beeper???
You know, the thingy that goes beep beep beep when backing up, and has those dimples on the bumper. ;D

Yeah, a lot of moolah for just heated windshield fluid, especially when I can carry my own can around of de-icer.

TM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Last week when it was -20C the condensing water vapor was very evident. Nice feature for us in the frozen north. :thumb: :D

Rick

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have used the wash several times and it is a good feature.

I have noticed that just before the system starts to emit warmed water a small amount migrates from the washer jets - the water is being expanded in the tube and forcing the colder water out pre-wash.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
We have noted that rear wiper wash fluid does not flow unless in heat mode. Is that normal or have we a dealer fix issue?
No this is not correct function. You do not need to be in heated mode to use the rear washer...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
We have noted that rear wiper wash fluid does not flow unless in heat mode. Is that normal or have we a dealer fix issue?
Interesting. Almost sounds like you have too weak of a winter/non-freezing washer solution fluid. Maybe the heated version melts a little ice back there? Don't know why else it would work in heated mode, but not regular wash?? Have you watered down the fluid? Is it very cold where you live? Garaged?

PS......I use the heated mode in summer too! Really gets the bugs/bird droppings off the windshield!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I may be wrong again, but I don't believe the heater fluid set up is for the back window at all is it? When I push the button it heats up automatically for the front window, but not the back.

·
Registered
525 Posts
From the owners manual:
"Heated Windshield Washer"
"If your vehicle has the heated windshield washer fluid
system it can be used to help clear ice, snow, tree sap,
or bugs from the windshield. This feature only works
with the front wiper system."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts