EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This looks like a really great forum. It really has me excited about the Enclave that I have recently ordered (6-2-07).
Here are the specs:
CXL AWD
Luxury Pkg
Driver Confidence package
Entertainment package #3
19" Chrome wheels
Trailering package
Cargo net and shade
White diamond tricoat (or platinum if tricoat is going to be on back order for a long time)
Titanium interior
We will be getting the DVD system from GM that is in the back of the headrests.

(the only thing we didn't get was the sunroof)

The dealer tried to process the order but could not because he said that the Luxury package and the Tricoat were on con...something. I took it to mean back ordered or there was a glitch with those options that they are working out. He told me that it would take about 90 days to get the vehicle in.
Does this sound correct?
Anyone else going through the same thing?

I was trying to decide between the Audi Q7 and the Enclave and now with the issues that seem to be going on with the Enclave I don't know if I made a good choice. I had sworn off American cars awhile ago but decided to take a chance because I really like the Enclave. I will only wait so long before canceling the order and just going with the Audi. Any thoughts? I would love to hear some opinions because it sounds like there are some really intelligent people "in the know" in this forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You may want to order something else or look for one that you can purchase now from another dealer with an Enclave on the Buick website that fits your needs. I ordered a similar vehicle as yours on May 5th and only now is it in line for production because of the constraints you mentioned. I looked seriously at the Q7, but would consider the GL450 first. Buick is the best value as far as I can discern that is why I am willing to wait.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yep, you really should expect about three months for delivery.

You have to ask yourself what your primary needs are. If carrying adults in the rear, even on occasion, isn't on your list of requirements it opens up a lot of vehicles. If you need to carry children back there often and would like it semi-reasonable in room for kids, then consider the Audi Q7, Mercedes GL series, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Sequoia (ugh, last year model, and new model is even uglier), Yukon/Tahoe, Lexus LX, Mazda CX-9. If you only need to carry kids on the third row on occasion, and don't care if it is cramped on those occasions, then you can add the Mercedes ML line, Lexus GX, BMW X5, Volvo, Mazda CX-7, Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, and a host of domestic SUV's like the Trailblazer and some of the Jeep models.

If you really would like to carry adults in both second and third rows, at the same time no less, and don't want a minivan or bus, then your choices are:
GMC Yukon XL/Chevy Surburban
GMC Acadia
Saturn Outlook
Buick Enclave

If you like the styling of the Outlook or Acadia, then you can get one of those much quicker with the same powertrain and similar features, but without the refinement of the Enclave. If you need the space, and demand the Buick's styling and refinement, then you don't have any options but to wait. Even the Benz GL450 is much more cramped in the third row in the real world vs. the Enclave.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I feel Your Pain

Awhile ago the apparent issue with the luxury package came up on these boards. I asked my dealer to confirm. I was told there is no such delay, so I dismissed it as rumor. If your dealer is right, this has become a real issue, because it would be over a month old. Sigh! Meanwhile, I ordered my Enclave on 04/20. It's beginning to irk me when I read about others who have ordered after me and received their Enclaves already. The recent post on the Detroit loaner program added salt to my wounds. Adding to my frustration is that since I ordered my car, my dealer hasn't yet initiated contact with me to provide status. Always, I have to initiate it. Now, they've gone underground. I sent a message to my sales rep about 10 days ago asking for status. No answer. I followed up a few days ago. No answer. This wouldn't bother me if the Sales Manager didn't set the expectations at the time of sale saying that he would check status weekly and let me know what's going on. Talk about not meeting expectations... I understand the wait to some extent, but there's a fairness issue here. I'm trying to remain patient... But there are alternatives...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ours has the luxury package and White Diamond and it showed up a month or so later than my dealer was expecting. I told them about the delay rumours from this board and they couldn't confirm. I started getting a little impatient also, but we will drive this thing for years so what's a couple of months if it's what you really want. This thing is beautiful and is by far the nicest vehicle we have ever owned. For the price, now that we have ours, I haven't seen anything that compares. I'm 6'4" and my hair just brushes the ceiling in the third row, but tons of leg room with the second row bucket set at a comfortable position. We absolutely love it and are glad we waited. I drive a Chevy 3/4 ton truck and the interior and exterior fit and finish of the Enclave makes my truck look cheap. We spent quite a bit more for our Enclave than what we had planned but came away feeling like we got a good deal and that is a rare feeling when it comes to buying vehicles these days. Just my two cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
GoTerps,
A fellow Terp alum here. I know how you feel. I ordered on 6/14 and I sent an email to my salesman 10 days ago and got no response. I do not need the vehicle until October but want to know that everything is progressing nicely. I do not want my order going to someone else or it being dropped for some reason and the dealer does not follow up.. I will be :angryfire: if they drop the ball. I ordered the luxury package as well. Does anybody know if we can call buick customer service and get status of orders if we just give our names and selling dealer?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our dealer had access to a website that would show different stages of the process. We just called once a week to get an update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Gator and osli, I don't think the Mercedes would be for me just because of their recent reliability ratings...I don't know what is going on there but it seems that right now they are rated extremely poor. The Enclave is the only American car I (and my wife) have been excited about in a very long time. We wanted something that gave the advantages of a SUV but drove more like a car than a truck. We also loved the look inside and out far above any of the other American made vehicles. The Enclave seemed like a perfect fit but I am just so mad at GM for putting out a vehicle that they can't seem to get ordered the way you want it. It makes me sad to think that our auto industry is so far behind the Japanese when it comes to customer satisfaction. If there is a Japanese model that comes out in the next few months and my order still has not been accepted I might just have to cancel and go with another Toyota or Lexus...which would be a shame because I would love to buy American.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The new highlander will be hitting the showrooms by the end of July. I am in the same boat as you are. I have almost given up the dream of driving the Enclave. Just hanging a little longer since the dealer has promised that he will find something by the end of next week. Actually he has located a couple vehicle matching my specs but trying to do a vehicle swap.

Back to Toyota, the dealer I went to in Queens, NY, is the one largest volume seller of Toyota. He said he has a couple of vehicles at the port along with bunch of others from all local dealers. Toyota hasn't given the green signal yet to release them from the port. Which makes sense to me, this will bring the car to all dealers at the same time and interested people will be able to see, touch and drive it at the sametime, unlike GM where many people placed the order without even looking or driving the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really think that Buick had a great idea...it is a niche where really no Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Honda, Infiniti or Acura has a good foot hold in and does not appear that any of them are looking to fill this spot (roomier more family friendly SUV that has a usable 3rd row and does not drive like a truck). I am disappointed that Buick may blow it with customers getting frustrated with availability especially since I am seeing more and more Enclave advertisements on television. If I was a GM exec. I would have the plants running 24 hrs to meet the orders and to get the vehicles on the road so that more people will see how beautiful they actually are. I don't think that it will be long before the Japanese companies compensate and try and fill this niche with one if not more of their own designs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: I feel Your Pain

GoTerps said:
Adding to my frustration is that since I ordered my car, my dealer hasn't yet initiated contact with me to provide status.
Mine surprised me with a call earlier this week.
1. My order still has not been picked up by the factory.
2. They still haven't received their 1st dealer ordered vehicle for my viewing. (I am yet to see an Enclave in the flesh)
3. THEY COULD GIVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON AN IN STOCK 2007 SRX. :banghead: :help:

I wonder what motivated their call?

Wayne

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
BlissDDS said:
I really think that Buick had a great idea...it is a niche where really no Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Honda, Infiniti or Acura has a good foot hold in and does not appear that any of them are looking to fill this spot (roomier more family friendly SUV that has a usable 3rd row and does not drive like a truck).
I don't think there is even an American car which can provide the same with the right size, enough room in each row and all the great options (minus a few). Even the new Aspen which is bigger and heavier, but lack all that luster.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
While I understand the frustration, let's try to put this in perspective.

Production began in April - only three months ago. The average Enclave spends 5 days on the lot versus the typical 30 - 60 day timeframe for other vehicles. Therefore, it will be difficult for dealers to build up inventory.

GM has increased production of the Enclave to meet demand but because building an Enclave involves more steps than the Acadia or the Outlook, they are still limited there.

The only reasonable alternative would be for them to add a third shift at the plant. I don't understand why they decided against it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One potential reason not to go to a third shift would be if they are supplier limited. I wonder about this with the constraints placed on certain options.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I've never ordered a car before, much less one that is in high demand like the Enclave. But, here's an article that talks about what Hyundai is going through with the Veracruz.

Hyundai Happy With U.S. Demand for SUV

Hyundai Motor is chuffed about greater-than-expected initial demand from U.S. customers for its Veracruz sports utility vehicle even before the company launched a large-scale ad campaign there. The Veracruz is so popular that some U.S. dealers have failed to meet demand due to lack of inventory.

The Korean carmaker on Friday said it will sell a total of 1,400-1,500 Veracruzes in June. The new SUV made its U.S. debut in March, and monthly sales have gone up: of the 1,928 units sold between March and May, 1,100 were sold in May alone. Although the TV commercial for the vehicle only started airing on Monday, the U.S. media and consumers have been enthusiastic for some time. Some dealers are short of the upscale Veracruz Limited version, which is in great demand.
“We underestimated demand for the premium trim level on the Veracruz,” John Krafcik, the product development chief for Hyundai North America, told Reuters. The news agency said the model, aimed at the market for Toyota's luxury Lexus brand, “is part of Hyundai's bid to be seen by American consumers as more than a discount car maker best known for low prices and long warranties.” It added the shortage at dealerships is “a good sign for Hyundai's strategy of changing the perception of its brand.” ....

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200706/200706290011.html

Hyundai can't meet demand for the Veracruz with May sales at 1,100? The Enclave tripled that in May. Now, I suppose we could argue that any demand at all for a Hundai would take the company by surprise, but I don't see how a 10 week time frame for an order becomes an American/Foreign car debate.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
It's just sucks not having it after spending some much time and energy to it. :eek:hno:

By the way check out the spacious 3rd row on the Q7!!! Not enough room even for a 4-year-old legs.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow, just think - all this fuss over an American car - and a Buick SUV no less? Who would have thought this would happen even 6 months ago...go figure! We all want what we can't have - maybe GM has a good plan after all? Look in our area they are all selling at MSRP!? :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
axiama,
For buyers like me, owned Japanese cars for over 17 years, to be considering buying American means that Buick has done something remarkable. During those 17 years I have not once had to take my cars for any repairs, just maintenance (oil changes). Speaking for people like me, I could go in and ask for an Acura MDX or a Lexus GX 470 and I could have it delivered to the dealership within a couple of weeks, the dealers told me that they could either trade with another dealership or buy the car from another dealership. When I spoke to several Enclave dealers they said they don't when know when the order might be accepted. The one that I did order from said that he could have it there in about 12 weeks, but when he went to place the order he said that it couldn't because the options (white diamond and luxury package) were on constraint. I would gladly wait the twelve weeks for the Enclave but for a dealers not to be able to tell a customer when GM might even accept the order? I don't know. If American car companies want to get back people like me then they need to do more to make us happy with good information on a great car. They have the great car...but from the forum it sounds like there sure is a lot of confusion.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
This is the 2nd American car that we have purchased - the first that I have selected as my primary vehicle. So, "I am people like you." You could go to a GM dealership and ask for a Yukon just as easily as you could ask for a an Acura MDX or a Lexus GX 470. You probably wouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Those models are all well established with few changes from one model year to the next.

The Enclave, however, has been in production for only 3 months. We are essentially their guinea pigs. To expect them to have everything running smoothly after such a short period of time is unrealistic, IMO. Now, throw in the high demand for the Enclave and those expectations become even further out of whack.

That said, if we are aware of constraints with the white diamond and the luxury package then every dealership should have received notification also. It seems like the dealers are told about it after they submit an order. And that's not fair to the customer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts