EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the summer tires on and the wheels are dirty.
Just washed them with car wash soap but something still seems stuck on them.

Any clue what I can do to fix? Don't want to be too abrasive to damage the wheels.

Thanks
2.jpg 1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
211 Posts
They look like the finish is coming off. There are non-abrasive cleaners made for these wheels. Try one in an inconspicuous spot and see if it will come off.

·
Super Moderator
211 Posts
I use Meguiars products, but there are others that I haven't tried. Looking again at your pictures, I doubt that will come off, but it's worth a try. Let us know how you make out with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just put the summer tires on and the wheels are dirty.
Just washed them with car wash soap but something still seems stuck on them.

Any clue what I can do to fix? Don't want to be too abrasive to damage the wheels.

Thanks
View attachment 6453 View attachment 6452
Chrome is chrome, but they are a chrome-clad wheel. That is a chrome piece of PLASTIC that has 3M taped to the alloy wheel. Not many people know that.
LOL. YouTube has a video of a guy with a blowtorch and 3 hours to remove the cover off the wheel. I know because mine had road rash and I couldn't figure out what the white material underneath was. Not alloy it was plastic.

That being said I wouldn't get too aggressive with an abrasive. I would try different chemicals first.
Vinegar. Straight gasoline. Rubbing compound.
Lightly with a green scrubby. It does look like it's surface contamination and not damaged Chrome.
Good luck.
Be sure to report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts