EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband died 6 months ago & I haven’t a clue about the automotive needs of my 2009 Enclave.

Recently the “Change Engine Oil Soon” message has come up on my dash, even though according to the last oil change my husband did (10/10/20) I still have approximately 3,000 more miles to go. According to the sticker in my car, he used a Mobile 1 Synthetic oil & it would last 7,000 mi or until my odometer mileage reads 124,000. Currently my car is at 120,725. Now it is starting to run rough & this morning on the way to drop my daughter off at school it nearly died several times. Also, the “Check Engine” light has come on. It is Wednesday morning & my dealership can’t get me in until late Friday afternoon.

I planned on trying to get my car down to Auto Zone today for some assistance there, but now I am afraid to drive it any more. On the shelf in our garage, my husband has a Mobile 1 0W-20 oil. I am unsure if this is the correct oil to put in my car, or if perhaps this was for his GM Silverado truck. I am wondering should add some of this oil to my car & if so, how much as it is a large 5 quart container? Please help. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Your owner's manual will tell you what type and how much oil is required for your vehicle. The internet says the 2009 takes 5.5 quarts of 5W-30 synthetic. Check the oil level and add a little at a time until it's full, then get it to the shop as it seems something is going wrong.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
795 Posts
Do you have any neighbors who can check your oil level and show you how to do it?
If the oil level is low , it can affect the timing and May explain the rough engine. If the Check Engine Light is flashing, it should not be driven in that condition.
If the spark plugs were not changed after 95,000 miles, it would be a good time to change them. Do you have any service records? Check the owners manual in the glovebox, hubby may have done some work and recorded it there. Spark Plugs is a bit involved, but shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, you need a good reliable, honest mechanic.
These vehicle can be somewhat expensive to maintain but I had a 2008 which I loved and had 212,000 miles on it before I sold it, I now have a 2015 Enclave and love it more.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sorry to hear about your husband. I have a 2009 Enclave, and at over 100K miles if they need to change the plugs you probably want them to check/possibly change the ignition coils as well, since the intake manifold has to come off to get to the plugs. Plus the 2009s had issues with coils - mine did a few times. Be sure your mechanic uses GM or AC Delco OEM parts. I used coils and plugs from Amazon (AC Delco brand), but I had issues with only 25K miles on the new parts. These parts could have been counterfeit AC Delco parts...

For oil changes, I'd stick with 5K or less oil changes (5W-30 full synthetic), as the engine in these vehicles is hard on oil. Since this engine has variable valve timing, if the oil level is too low, it can cause issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts