EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time posting here. I need major help.

We bought our 2018 Enclave Premium used just under a year ago. Recently, we had a service parking brake alert come on. The parking brake indicator also flashes. It was pretty infrequent but we were within the factory warranty so we had it checked out. Turns out, the OBD2 port is torn up (from previous owner or something, we have never put anything in there) and they can't get the reader or whatever in there to perform the TSB corrected that they think is the issue. They said it would be a $3,000 repair since the port is an entire harness and they'd have to remove the entire dash. I have the paperwork where they showed me that you have to install the entire harness.

Does anyone have any solutions to DIY this? We were originally going to not bother with it since it didn't seem to be a huge issue, but today one of the rear brakes locked up on us. Is wiring it up myself an option? We are desperate for any solution that doesn't cost near that much.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
If it was me I’d go cut one out at a junk yard and solder it in. I’d try for a 2018 Enclave but my guess is most of the GM cars are sharing that exact plug. Peel back the wire loom far enough that you can hide the repair. If you’re not decent with a soldering iron find someone that is. Go with properly sized heat shrink tubing to insulate each solder joint to keep the diameter similar to the original wire (VS a hack job using electrical tape). I’d also recommend doing this repair with the battery disconnected just to be safe about shorting something to ground. One thing you can’t do on a modern car is ignore it. That port is critical to so much troubleshooting, not to mention some parts have to be programmed to the car and that port is the only option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the dealer service department is giving you a BS story. GM dealers usually have the parts to repair connectors. This is listed on Rock Auto's website
More Information for WVE 1P1474. I'm sure others also make replacements like these.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
A dealer is not going to splice in a non-OEM part off RockAuto. If GM only has the entire harness (which wouldn't surprise me), then that's what the dealer is going to replace.

Buying that repair kit on Amazon looks like a pretty easy DIY fix though. Unhook the existing damaged connector and work one wire at a time swapping to the new one making sure each wire goes to the same place on the new connector. In less than 20 minutes you'll be good as new and if you go one wire at a time it would be pretty hard to mess up. Definitely recommend taking some good pictures of the existing connector ahead of time in case you make a mistake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks like either the rock auto or the amazon solution would work. Solder or butt connectors, either way use a good crimping tool even if you have to buy one. Use some heat shrink over the joints and as JayS pointed out, do one at a time and make sure you place it in the same socket. From your first pic it looks like you have some empty sockets so be aware of that. This is not a hard repair just a lot of fiddling while sitting in an uncomfortable position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A dealer is not going to splice in a non-OEM part off RockAuto. If GM only has the entire harness (which wouldn't surprise me), then that's what the dealer is going to replace.

Buying that repair kit on Amazon looks like a pretty easy DIY fix though. Unhook the existing damaged connector and work one wire at a time swapping to the new one making sure each wire goes to the same place on the new connector. In less than 20 minutes you'll be good as new and if you go one wire at a time it would be pretty hard to mess up. Definitely recommend taking some good pictures of the existing connector ahead of time in case you make a mistake.
Granted a GM dealer won't use a kit off Rock Auto, but they have their own connector repair kits. It is not necessary to replace a harness just to repair a connector. Some harness are practically impossible to replace after a vehicle has been built.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a website for all types of vehicle connectors. I have no experience with them but would definitely look at them if I need to make a repair like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a youtube video that shows how to remove the pins from the old OBD connector. You Tube What you're looking to see begins about 20 seconds into the video.

Here is a tool kit of pin removal tools from Amazon that would probably make the job much easier Pin Removal Tool kit From what I see in the video a small flat blade screwdriver may work just as well as the tool kit

Here's the link to the OBD Plug from Amazon. Same link as posted previously

Hopefully this will keep from having to resolder every wire. The wires where the damaged pins are may have to have new pins crimped and soldered. Be careful you don't make the wires to short on the pins you have to replace. When you choose where you get the new connector you might want to insure that it comes with pins like the Amazon one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts