EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Help! Slight wobbling feeling from front end when driving.

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  huzee1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this problem.
2012 Enclave. 150K miles. Original Struts. New Tires (double checked for balance & separation..ok). Lug nuts all checked.
Noticed a slight wobbling noise/feel in (maybe passenger side) front end/wheel suspension when driving around an onramp curve at 45 MPH (can also slightly feel in straight line on freeway).

Steering wheel is NOT wobbling. You can slightly hear/feel a slight wobble ESPECIALLY noticeable when turning right going around a long curved freeway entrance onramp.
Hard to describe but can only say it's the same sort of feeling you might get if your lug nuts weren't all fully tightened (or slightly loose) but subtle and doesn't feel like anything going to fall apart but doesn't feel normal. Car tracks straight but just a slight mild thumping wobble from passenger front area.

When up on hoist, if you grab the front passenger wheel at 9 & 3 and move it... theres a slight movement/noise/play side to side (I noticed this when checking at home & tire tech mentioned it to me also unprompted). Is this normal? Don't think it's a bearing issue as no noise/grinding and no obvious bearing going bad symptoms.
Not really speed related but more noticeable on freeway as it seems a bit floaty. Still seems to track straight.
Sway bar links seem okay - does not clunk over bumps.

So before I jump into a full diagnosis, wanted to see if anyone here had experience or ideas to narrow it down.

My first guess is INNER TIE ROD ENDS -but- wouldn't the steering seem loose or wobbly or clunking if that were the case? not sure. Maybe the steering rack going bad? Visual inspection of U joint looks okay and prying it (and other suspension points) with crowbar shows no obvious movement or clunking.

Guesses, Tie Rods? Struts? U Joints? Mounts? ???

Any ideas? and thank for any help you can provide!

See less See more
#2 ·
Usually what I heard about this cars is that if the rear control arms are worn out they will cause a floating sensation from the rear. Like it's sliding. I kind of feel it at 105k miles on my 11' and might be time to replace. You can try to see if they are loose.

And why on original struts? Surprise they haven't worn out your tires. Car sags real low when struts are bad. Ruined my tires real fast until I noticed it was because of my struts.

#3 ·
Usually what I heard about this cars is that if the rear control arms are worn out they will cause a floating sensation from the rear. Like it's sliding. I kind of feel it at 105k miles on my 11' and might be time to replace. You can try to see if they are loose.

And why on original struts? Surprise they haven't worn out your tires. Car sags real low when struts are bad. Ruined my tires real fast until I noticed it was because of my struts.
Thx - will check out the rear control arms. . Not assuming struts are bad just due to miles… no sagging..no bouncing… but yeah, due for a change.

#6 ·
Yo huzee 1, first shouldn't have any play at 9&6 or 12&6, I own a 2010 enclave 217k, had same issues, when driving to north fla 70-80 mph on high speed turns, had wobble, very slite, first time was right side axle for left turn wobble, approximately a year later, was right turn (70mph curve) wobble left axle...hope this helps you, nismo 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.