EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched and I can't find on any of these forums a note on how to get the Articulating Headlights to demonstrate their movement.
I wan't to verify that mine are actually articulating.

Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.

So far I have tried turning on the car in front of my garage and watching the lights showing on the garage but I don't see any movement.
I tried turning the headlights to AUTO and nothing different.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
You have to be moving to see the lights move.Be careful at night trying to weave back and forth to see the lights move--Local police would pull you over to check your breath

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i dont have an enclave but i will say a couple things ive heard

first, when you first turn the car on (if it is dark enough for the headlights to be on) then they will do an auto turn/whatever you want to call it, to make sure they work..

also i know that the speed your going effects how much the lights turn..

what i would do is park in front of something where you can clearly see the lights and then put the enclave in Drive and keep you foot on the break and turn the steering wheel all the way one way and then all the way back the other way...

just what i thought of..

·
Registered
743 Posts
Gmoney_2010 said:
i dont have an enclave but i will say a couple things ive heard

first, when you first turn the car on (if it is dark enough for the headlights to be on) then they will do an auto turn/whatever you want to call it, to make sure they work..

also i know that the speed your going effects how much the lights turn..

what i would do is park in front of something where you can clearly see the lights and then put the enclave in Drive and keep you foot on the break and turn the steering wheel all the way one way and then all the way back the other way...

just what i thought of..
Gmoney, most of what you said is correct, but, you have to be moving at least 2 or 3 mph at night with the switch in auto , for it to work. If you are parked at night with switch in auto, and you start up, the lights will articulate and align up, and it's quite obvious that they moved. Rocketman. 8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it is one of the best features of the car period.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
It's funny how popular the articulating headlights are now. When I was 10 years old, Preston Tucker introduced a new car that had lots of innovations, including an articulating headlight in the center of the grille. Many here at this site were around in those days and know about it first hand. For those who don't (snoopy goes back in the Sopwith Camel to WWI, so he knows!), here's a picture of the Tucker Torpedo! ;D

And, for more of the story, see:

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/showroom/1948/tucker.html
I was a sparkle in dad's eye back then ;), but know the Tucker had seat belts, pop out glass (in a crash) and a HELICOPTER engine in the rear!!! Too back he didn't make it. Great pix!

·
Registered
721 Posts
There was another car back in the 70's called the Citroen SM; it was a 5-seat sports coupe with a Maserati engine in it. It had a total of 6 headlights (in Europe only-the US models had fixed sealed-beam lamps) where the two inside ones would articulate up to 30 degrees to shine around corners. Pretty wild................

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tralfaz said:
There was another car back in the 70's called the Citroen SM; it was a 5-seat sports coupe with a Maserati engine in it. It had a total of 6 headlights (in Europe only-the US models had fixed sealed-beam lamps) where the two inside ones would articulate up to 30 degrees to shine around corners. Pretty wild................
I remember that car!! Didn't it raise up when you'd start the engine from air suspension?? Freaked me out once, when I was in High School, and saw it go up in a parking lot!! :eyebrow:

·
Registered
83 Posts
We had a Pontiac 6000 STE when I was a kid with 6 headlights. None articulated though. The inner lights were actually fog lights. With it's placement I am not sure they actually helped in the fog.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I remember that car!! Didn't it raise up when you'd start the engine from air suspension?? Freaked me out once, when I was in High School, and saw it go up in a parking lot!! :eyebrow:
You got it, SRX! The car didn't even come with a jack since you could raise it up on the other 3 wheels to change a tire. Those crazy French designers!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
and it had a Maserati powerplant that didn't do that well. I rode in one one time that ran "low" on highways, and "raised" for city streets and curb avoidance! :thumb:
"There is nothing new under the Sun........." Hear that Landrover? ;D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live in the mountains at about 6000ft elevation, where every road is a winding one! The articulating lights are a Godsend....and real obvious when you're doing the curves. It's especially nice when you throw in some fog. This is the best lighting setup I've ever had for mountain driving in 20 years of living here. The foglights are great, too! I only wish they had a constant "on" feature so I didn't have to manually turn them on every day. It's good to have as much light as possible on these dark roads, and I usually run with both headlights AND foglights on full time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone know how unique the articulating headlights really are? I had never even heard of such a thing until I looked at the Enclave. I've seen a commercial for a new volvo sedan that looks like it might have articulating headlights, but it looks to me like no one else offers it-- Which of course makes it that much cooler. :party: Or is it more widely offered than I realize?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am pretty sure Audi offers it as an option as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
They are offered by Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lincoln, Volvo, Lexus, Cadillac, just to name a few. Basically if a car from one of those manufacturers is equipped with HID headlights, then more likely than not they articulate, and some even self-level!

·
Registered
81 Posts
austin71 said:
Does anyone know how unique the articulating headlights really are? I had never even heard of such a thing until I looked at the Enclave. I've seen a commercial for a new volvo sedan that looks like it might have articulating headlights, but it looks to me like no one else offers it-- Which of course makes it that much cooler. :party: Or is it more widely offered than I realize?
They are available on the Lincoln MKX.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts