EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other car is a Lexus. The guys at the Lexus forum reccommends turning the headlights on and off manually if you have HID lights. The reason is so the HID bulbs have longer life. When the lights turn on, an igniter wakes up the gas in the bulb. This process actually hurts the bulb. The more this process is repeated, the lesser the life span. If it is set to auto, the lights can turn on if you drive under a viaduct or while in a dark garage before you back out to a sunny day. Are the HID bulbs on the Enclave warrantied? Or is it treated the same as maintenance like brake pads?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Not a problem on a GM vehicle-the HID's are covered under the new car warranty. Under most viaducts, etc., the car needs to be in darkness for at least 20-30 sec to fire up the bulbs. Check it out next time you go through a car wash. The DRL's are a conventional bulb down near the fog lamps. Also, the articulating lights only work when the switch is in the "Auto" position.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, I think in those places your headlamps should be on anyway. I don't think you can really do anything to prevent the lights from starting up when you start the car unless you turn on the parking lamps before you set the car to run. I would think that if the HID bulb prematurely burns out then it's covered by warranty.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The bulbs seem to last quite a long time and are reportedly very expensive. Don't know if it is practical to do it manually since you will instead be replacing the switch!

TM

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tralfaz said:
The DRL's are a conventional bulb down near the fog lamps.
I beleive that's why the Enclave doesn't incorporate the "flash to pass" feature for the headlights. I use a "double click" push of the headlight switch to "flash" the foglights to let someone in line or whatever....

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You could always just keep the HID lights off completely and drive only with the halogen fog lights. :thumb: Crazy Lexus forum people!! :tard: :confused: If you are driving a Lexus or a Buick or any other luxury car with HID lights, then why in the [email protected] are you worried about using them? Gimme a break! You could also leave your car running every time you go into the store, etc....so as to save the life of the starter and ignition!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy there fella. I'm not worried about using them all the time. I just asked if they are under warranty. No need to get bent out of shape. And people in the Lexus forum are mostly nice and helpful people.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry flipsonic, but you have to take my comments with the "humor" intended. You had a valid question....and I am glad to know they are covered by the standard factory warranty. Another nice plus to owning a GM! :thumb:

However, it still seems silly to me that those on the Lexus forum would buy a luxury car with auto headlamp control and then turn them off and on manually because they are worried about the life of the bulbs. Just my $.02

·
Registered
758 Posts
ccaats said:
Sorry flipsonic, but you have to take my comments with the "humor" intended. You had a valid question....and I am glad to know they are covered by the standard factory warranty. Another nice plus to owning a GM! :thumb:

However, it still seems silly to me that those on the Lexus forum would buy a luxury car with auto headlamp control and then turn them off and on manually because they are worried about the life of the bulbs. Just my $.02
They are about $120 each but are rumored to last longer than regular bulbs.

TM

·
Registered
379 Posts
I drive a Lexus and no one at the dealership as EVER mentioned not using the automatic headlights with the HID lights. Both my LS and the RX I traded it have the HID lights.

I suspect that there is enough of a delay incorporated in the sensor that they will not come on until x amount of time anyway. Otherwise, every time you went under an overpass they would come on.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Something else that's cool about the lamps on the Enclave-there is a single lamp for both Hi and Lo beam with a shutter that cuts off the top of the beam when they are on low. The shutter lifts up when you turn on the high beams to "let the light shine". That way you don't blind oncoming drivers like all the European HID vehicles. It also reacts much faster that way when switching from lo to hi and vice versa. Another example of GM thinking "outside the box".

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tralfaz said:
Something else that's cool about the lamps on the Enclave-there is a single lamp for both Hi and Lo beam with a shutter that cuts off the top of the beam when they are on low. The shutter lifts up when you turn on the high beams to "let the light shine". That way you don't blind oncoming drivers like all the European HID vehicles. It also reacts much faster that way when switching from lo to hi and vice versa. Another example of GM thinking "outside the box".
Although I haven't driven opposite an Enclave at night, I seriously doubt your assertion. Most of the HID blinding lights are add-ons, not OEM supplied. I find the European HID lights to be quite good to opposing traffic.

TM

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ccaats said:

No prob. I agree with you, it is silly to worry about things like this. If they do go out, I hope it happens just before the four years is up. :cheers:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Time for "Light Bulb Larry" to chime in again with a little lesson about HID bulbs. Sit down and take notes:

There are three ways to produce light from a bulb.

An INCANDESCENT lamp is your household light bulb. When power is applied, the filament gets very hot from resisting the current, and that heat produces light. 90% of the energy is wasted as heat. Full brightness is achieved as soon as the power is turned on.

A FLOURESCENT lamp (whether in the form of a straight tube, a curved tube, or the soft-ice-cream-cone-like spiral compact screw-in type) has a drop of mercury in a vacuum tube with an electrode at each end. The inside of the glass is coated with phosphors. When power is applied, the electrodes glow, the mercury instantly vaporizes, and the mercury vapor conducts electricity from one end of the tube to the other, producing an "arc" of ultraviolet light. That ultraviolet light causes the phosphor powder on the inside of the glass to glow brightly. Flourescent lamps use a 'ballast' to control the current through the tube, because without the ballast to limit the current, the electrodes would burn out almost immediately.

A HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE lamp (HID) has a small tube of quartz within a larger surrounding bulb. The quartz tube has an electrode at each end, and is filled with various amounts of mercury, argon, sodium and other metals, depending upon the type of lamp it is (mercury vapor lamp, high pressure sodium lamp, or metal halide lamp) -- at high pressure. Current to the lamp is controlled and regulated by a ballast. When power is applied, the electrodes vaporize the mercury, sodium and other metals (halide salts), and they glow, dimly at first, but then the pressure in the tube rises rapidly and the lamp reaches full brightness in about three minutes.

Almost all street lights in America use HID lamps: the golden-yellow ones are "high pressure sodium" lights; the blue-green (or sometimes pinkish) ones are mercury vapor lamps; and the intense sparkly bluish-white ones are metal halide lamps.

The HID headlights in cars are a modified form of metal halide lamp. These lamps have xenon in the quartz tube, which produces a bright light immediately while the mercury takes a few moments to reach full brightness.

As for the life span of HID lamps, keep in mind first a startling fact: HID lamps get HOT. The quartz arc tube operates at between 1,400 and 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes! That's why almost ALL metal halide lamps are required to operate in ENCLOSED FIXTURES. On top of that, electrical irregularities in the ballast can cause the quartz arc tube to explode violently, spraying pieces of 1,500 degree quartz into the environment. Ouch! It doesn't happen often, but enough to require an enclosure.

Anyway, HID lamps have the longest life when operated continuously for long periods of time. This is because of the "halogen cycle." Atoms of tungsten will drop off the electrode during operation, but each tungsten atom will bind with an atom of one of the halogen salts and be drawn back to the filament, where it will be re-deposited. The halogen cycle only works when the lamp is burned continuously for long periods of time. Brief on-offs, such as flashing to pass, don't hurt much, but frequent ons and offs will cause deterioration of the electrodes and the depositing of electrode material and salts on the arc tube (instead of back onto the filament where they belong), which will cause the tube to darken and deteriorate over time.

Published data puts HID headlight life at about 2700 hours. That's a lot of driving -- 4 months of continuous, 24-hour-a-day non-stop driving with the headlights on, or 8 months of driving 12 hours a day only at night. If you drive your car an average of 4 hours every day, with only 2 of those hours at night, your headlight bulbs should last 16 years -- probably longer than you own the car.

Big Larry
[/color] :thumb:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks Larry.

I love it when you talk technical!

TM :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I prefer when he talks dirty.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hey Big L......never knew you had that in you! But I sure enjoyed it!

Just one note: The reason Enclave doesn't allow you to "flash-to-pass" (unless the headlites are already on!) is because HID lites of any kind, do not brighten quickly enough to indicate a true "flash" action. In daytime, with headlites naturally OFF, the oncoming driver may not even notice the quick, dim, illumination, IF we could flash the headlites ON, momentarily, from the column stalk.

I had an SRX Caddy with HID option, for normal headlites only! The brights however, were Halogen, (a quick lighting, filament type bulb) like most new vehicles have, and thus I could signal a flash with them. Being fussy however, I hated the yellowish hue, when compared to the bright white, adjacent, regular HID headlites. :( On Enclave, even the Halogen fog lites are, respectably, somewhat white!

I too use the quick push on the Fog lite button, to attempt a "flash-to-pass" signal, to another driver. Sometimes it works, sometimes............... :confused:

PS.....SRX was 4 years old when we traded for Enclave and HID's were still working, even with a frequent in/out of garage, thus on/off HID cycle. I don't recall any high mileage drivers on that forum ever complaining about a burnt HID headlite bulb. I think most of us will be fine! Wonder what older, Acadia forum says, for guys that had that option? (I think HID was optional, as opposed to standard, on Enclave. Swiveling Articulating type was our option.)

·
Registered
644 Posts
"Time for "Light Bulb Larry" to chime in again with a little lesson about HID bulbs. Sit down and take notes:"

Larry,

Wow, I may actually start reading your posts again! Great information, articulately stated. Man, I'm impressed. Thanks for the information.

blurry -"I'm finally impressed with Larry" - bill

·
Registered
184 Posts
(bowing) Thank you, thank you. Now... getting back to the spycam in the dash that takes upskirt video of women drivers..... ::)

Big Larry
[/color]

blurrybill said:
"Time for "Light Bulb Larry" to chime in again with a little lesson about HID bulbs. Sit down and take notes:"

Larry,

Wow, I may actually start reading your posts again! Great information, articulately stated. Man, I'm impressed. Thanks for the information.

blurry -"I'm finally impressed with Larry" - bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a series of 2 Chrysler Pacificas with the optional HIDs. I put about 70,000 miles on the first one with no HID replacements.
I had 60,000 miles on the second one when I saw the Enclave ....... ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts