EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a vibration when passing at highway speeds or accelerating uphill - the frequency is much lower than engine speed which seems to suggest it is in the trans. or final driveline- it goes away when cruising or at light throttle so I kind of rule out the tires- anyone else experiencing something similar?

G

·
i had that trouble on my 99 chevy burban, the only problem is it was a problem with the carburetor, the enclave is fuel injected. what would happen is it was sending too much fuel into the engine and it was flooding out, causing it to vibrate very violently unless i floored it to burn all the fuel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
cookiecrunch said:
I am picking up a vibration when passing at highway speeds or accelerating uphill - the frequency is much lower than engine speed which seems to suggest it is in the trans. or final driveline- it goes away when cruising or at light throttle so I kind of rule out the tires- anyone else experiencing something similar?
cookiecrunch,
Since we can't tell (you should go back into your user setup and fill out some basic info there) whether you have FWD or AWD, it will be hard for us to help you. I have not read anything at all on our Enclave forum of anyone having this problem -- and while I haven't visited nearly as often on the Acadia forum, I haven't noticed this as an issue there (anyone else?). I can tell you that we have a FWD CXL and we have no such vibration that you describe. I am thinking you have AWD and the vibration could be related to the additional hardware for AWD. I suppose you could have a problem with what Buick calls the "bi-state" engine mounts -- these are unique engine mounts used to quell vibration in the engine bay at various speeds and loads. That would be the other suspect (IMO). I would go into the dealer and see if you can drive another to find out if it does the same thing (if, of course, they have one in stock!). I suspect whatever you are experiencing is not normal so possibly even a drive in an Acadia or Outlook would be telling as well. Good luck, let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
DESNGCONCPTS is right! I have AWD and no such issue with 4500 miles! (and I drive this baby!)

DEALER.............. ASAP..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not 100% but I think the drive shaft for the rear wheels turns all the way to the back differential type unit full time. Maybe under load the engine moves a lot and creates an undesirable angle with the rear going drive shaft? Seems like a waste of power turning that big long drive shaft all the time???

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
w8nfsnow said:
I'm not 100% but I think the drive shaft for the rear wheels turns all the way to the back differential type unit full time. Maybe under load the engine moves a lot and creates an undesirable angle with the rear going drive shaft? Seems like a waste of power turning that big long drive shaft all the time???
Welcome w8nfsnow, :welcome: you ordered an Enclave yet? Doesn't matter! We can help! See all posts on ordering/ownership here. Good stuff!

You may be right. Inspection is necessary, but cookiecrunch may have FWD ?? That driveshaft must be spinning to supply almost instant power, when tranny demands it, to rear wheels. This is firstly a FWD sled with rears "hanging out", most of the time, at about 10% power, if I remember correctly? Good theory though!

We should all plug in profile/signature data on our sleds, to help/inform others! Hope cookiecrunch let's us know outcome :thumb:

G

·
well i have awd and so trouble, as i say it sound exactly like my 99 suburban. but ever see an engine rev, notice how to torque of the moving parts moves the engine a good bit, im wondering if that isn't happining, like watin fer snow stated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Welcome w8nfsnow, :welcome: you ordered an Enclave yet? Doesn't matter! We can help! See all posts on ordering/ownership here. Good stuff!

You may be right. Inspection is necessary, but cookiecrunch may have FWD ?? That driveshaft must be spinning to supply almost instant power, when tranny demands it, to rear wheels. This is firstly a FWD sled with rears "hanging out", most of the time, at about 10% power, if I remember correctly? Good theory though!

We should all plug in profile/signature data on our sleds, to help/inform others! Hope cookiecrunch let's us know outcome :thumb:
Thanks for the nice welcome. Actually I ordered an Acadia on Nov 15th and my build date is Dec 11th so I've been told. I think my dealer left me hangin at code 1100 for some time but don't know for sure. I fell in love with the Enclave but the wife liked the Acadia so the rest is history! L!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
w8nfsnow said:
Thanks for the nice welcome. Actually I ordered an Acadia on Nov 15th and my build date is Dec 11th so I've been told. I think my dealer left me hangin at code 1100 for some time but don't know for sure. I fell in love with the Enclave but the wife liked the Acadia so the rest is history! L!
Man does that sound familiar :p

·
Registered
509 Posts
Could be a very slight unbalance in something in the drivetrain, that only rears itself at that certain speed range under certain conditions. I'd say a mount, or something that just happens to be a hair off.

Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
i had that trouble on my 99 chevy burban, the only problem is it was a problem with the carburetor, the enclave is fuel injected...
Off topic again...but jeez. No general GM product after 1990 had a carburetor. All have been fuel injected, whether via throttle body injection (looks like a carb...but isn't), or the still common port injection.

Regardless, fuel sending issues can cause a lot of small things, such as a shake/hesitation under load. I wouldn't suspect that here, but you never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips -FWD/3K miles - it seems to feel almost like a torque steer (surge) effect of some type as it is mainly felt through the steering wheel - wonder if the engine controls (cam phasers, and the like) could operate to cause this? You all sure have a different level of faith in your dealer's service dept. solving this type problem- my local guys are good at fixing things as long as GM has put out a service note on the issue- I do plan to take it in for srvice at the first interval and woud like to be able to tell them where to start looking.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Completely agree. Especially with issues like that, where you really notice them, but it has to be under this specific kind of circumstance...it can be hard for a service department to understand, and then be able to have a tech go out and re-create the note they see on the service order. Hence, the common "could not duplicate".

I'd try, if possible, to make sure at an appointment you can take a service tech out and show him what you're actually talking about, re-creating it yourself. They try, but again, it's very hard to replicate/diagnose things you only get told or read notes about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
cookiecrunch said:
- it seems to feel almost like a torque steer (surge) effect of some type as it is mainly felt through the steering wheel -
Mainly felt through the steering wheel? I'd have the dealer check the StabiliTrak and associated sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same issue now with our 2011 Enclave FWD, has anyone solved it? I didn’t have it when we purchased it a couple of years ago. Last year it developed a shudder so off to the transmission shop for a rebuild and new torque converter. They noticed the right front drive shaft was starting to bind so they replaced it. Since I got it back the shudder is fixed however now I have the issue with vibration under high engine load. I notice it above 50 MPH and only under acceleration or underload going uphill. It does not throw any codes and is not a mis fire issue. I am convinced the drive shaft is the culprit but have not convinced the transmission shop to change it. Turning left or right does not affect the vibration. I am going to ask the shop to swap it out with a new GM shaft to see if this will fix it. Any help or ideas would be appricated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts