EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1) I have found the HI headights to be quite disappointing on my WV roads. High beam really doesn't illuminate as I thought it should; low beam with fog lights is so-so. They certainly aren't what the commercial expresses them to be.
(2) Driving in blowing snow and ice I have discovered that the plastic headlight cover ices up very quickly, I am told by my engineer son that it's due to the large rounded plastic surface with little to no flat area. I have been forced to stop and scrape ice off of the covers but am concerned about scratching them. Have looked for some "squirt" liquid to use but have only found ones that are be used on a glass windshield, and they say not to use on plastic. Any product suggestion from any of you.
As a matter of information, 1500 miles of mostly mountain/hill driving and I am only getting around 15 mpg.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Colonel,

I had a post a while ago about a pliable optically clear plastic film you place on your headlight covers. By using them I noticed two great things. One you never get that pitted plastic being bombarded by salt, sand, chemicals, etc. Secondly, it must have a better coefficient of friction as snow definitely does not stick. I bought mine from Classic Motoring Accessories, but Autosport or Griot's has them as well. They cost about $45 and they include the film for both the headlights and foglights. I use them on all my cars and wished I had done it earlier. In fact, since I received my car in January, it was the first item I added to the car. They also can be taken off and replaced with new ones. So after a few years if they look bad or pitted, you can peel off the film and still have new looking plastic covers.

Press

·
Registered
612 Posts
Remember when headlights were round and cost $5.00? Not any more! A stone hit on one of those curvaceous composite plastic lens can set you back $600.00 or more.

Headlight Safety Film is a computer cut, optically transparent, 3M vinyl film that fits the exact contour of your headlight lens. It is DOT certified and guaranteed not to alter or reduce headlight performance. Simply peel off the backing and press over your lens assembly. Safety Film has withstood stone hits at over 120 m.p.h. and protects against discoloration from sand and salt abrasion.

Our film has a molded-in UV inhibitor which reduces discoloration from ultra-violet light. If you live in Florida, Texas, Arizona, southern California or any of the southern states, this film will keep your stock headlight lens optically transparent.

Headlight Safety Film will not
reduce headlight performance.

Note: This film is 40 mils thick but will still conform to complex curves. Don't confuse this with the 5 mil film being offered on other websites.

Delivery: These are custom laser cut after receipt of order and shipped directly from the factory. Please allow 7 to 10 days for delivery. Sorry, Express 2 Day and 3 Day delivery is not available on this item.[/color]

http://www.properautocare.com/headsaffil.html

Question.. how hard are these to install. If you don't have them perfectly aligned can you pull it off and try again? Air bubbles? Have you considered going "all the way" and putting this film on your car's front facing edges? (front of car, mirror backs, etc)

also..

For those without the CXL Chrome wheels..

Check out the Lugnut Brushes!

http://www.properautocare.com/lugnutbrushes.html

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
When I bought my Acura MDX in '04, the salesman was describing all of the wonderful features of the car, and said that the new headlight lens was capable of withstanding a 200 mph impact without breaking. Then, the finance gal, who makes a nice commission on any extras she/he can sell (like extended warranties, LoJack, etc.) wanted to sell me "high impact headlight lens covers". I just laughed at her...

·
Registered
88 Posts
By the way if you are ordering something from ProperAutoCare.com you can use the coupon code "catalogs" to save 10% on your order.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Clave Man ,Press, Yes, even if you lease, it's a good idea (prevents weathering-look) and the lite lenses/bodies are about $400 each, I hear!! Likely your ins. deductible is higher than that. This has come up in the past and I always wanted to get them. Just made a 700 mile trip to MA and was almost sorry I hadn't! (rock hit lite, it's OK) This sounds like a good product. Thx for all the good info/reccos and New2Buick , extra thanks for that discount code :thumb:

Colonel , I'm surprised with all the heat from those lites that snow builds up, but Mother Nature is not to be messed with. She's almost as tough as Axiama!! :D Don't know if Rain-X windshield treatment is recco for plastic, but it sure stops ice build-up on my rear/front windshields! (my empty bottle was thrown out by my OCD wife!) go to a store and read the bottle or they must have a website? Rain-x
Good luck!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Nope !!! Can't use on Plastics unless pre approved by the Manufacturer of the Plastics.
I've used it for years on Glass and it's awsome. Good Luck. Rocketman

·
Registered
16 Posts
The headlamp lens is made from polycarbonate (as are almost all headlamps today). The lens is coated with an anti-scratch/ UV protection/chemical resistance called hardcoat.

Polycarbonate has very high impact strength & high heat resistance however it scratches easy, turn yellow in the sun and does not react well to chemicals and that is why they put on the hardcoat.

But with the lamps being on right out on the edge of the car for everything and everyone to bump, rub, and hit you will get some scratches. DO NOT use harsh cleaning chemicals on your lenses.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Don't know if Rain-X windshield treatment is recco for plastic, but it sure stops ice build-up on my rear/front windshields!
I quit using Rain-X years ago as it seemed to really eat up the windshield wipers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
claveman,

Glad to see that lugnut brush is back. Properautocare (classic motoring accessories) was backordered on this item for a while. I believe some guy invented it and makes it in his small shop. They were overwhelmed by the demand. I am going to order one now and will remember to use the code.

Press

·
Registered
743 Posts
rockyp said:
I quit using Rain-X years ago as it seemed to really eat up the windshield wipers.
Most of the time when I use Rain-X, I don't need my Windshield Wipers if I have any speed at all. I think the Sun and Heat deteriorate the Wipers more.MHO.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Patman75 said:
The headlamp lens is made from polycarbonate (as are almost all headlamps today). The lens is coated with an anti-scratch/ UV protection/chemical resistance called hardcoat.

Polycarbonate has very high impact strength & high heat resistance however it scratches easy, turn yellow in the sun and does not react well to chemicals and that is why they put on the hardcoat.

But with the lamps being on right out on the edge of the car for everything and everyone to bump, rub, and hit you will get some scratches. DO NOT use harsh cleaning chemicals on your lenses.
Someone told me of a Product at Auto Parts Stores that will clear up the Lenses when they turn Yellow or Dull. I've never seen the Product, but I was told about it.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
rocketman said:
Most of the time when I use Rain-X, I don't need my Windshield Wipers
I guess you don't live in the Pacific Northwest! ;D ;D

·
Registered
743 Posts
rockyp said:
I guess you don't live in the Pacific Northwest! ;D ;D
You're right, but I was just speaking of my own situation. I know you get more than your share of Rain. I once lived on the West Coast but much further South. We only had about 3 Months Rainy Season. Here we have it throughout the Year but, just not enough. Take care. 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was looking at these and the website says they are easy install. Just peel off backing then press on. Now to me that seems harder that it would be. Press and stick would probably work best with a more flat headlight. But, given ours are curved and wrap around the corner, wouldn't you think there would be bumps and folds? Are these cut to take into consideration the curves? Wondering if anyone tried these? If not, I'm debating to see if they press on as easily.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Just remeber the clave has vented lights due to the high heat build up. if you purchase something that would block those vents you are going to have an expensive repair bill that I would think won't be covered under warranty...If you look closely you will see the vents I am talking about.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
My 2 cents: I agree with PaPoPo. Why would you want to cover these headlights with a film, that probably will look horrible in a short time? I've never had a problem with any GM vehicle's headlights dulling, or getting scratched. Or, yellowing for that matter. I do know my father-in-law's 97 Ford Crown Vic's lights are all yellow, and dull looking, but that's a Ford. I've yet to see a GM vehicle do this. However, I live in MI, and don't get some of the eliments some others may. These headlights are designed to look great, and resist most usual eliments, I would think....they should for how much they, and the vehicle cost! I understand people want to protect these beautiful lights, and the vehicles from any damage, but don't you think under normal wear, and washing, everything should last? My Dad had a 96 Sunfire he just sold last year to our friend's daughter, and those headlights looked as good as the day he bought it, so I don't understand why the assumption they will yellow, get dull, and scratch is a worry.

As for snow build-up. I was thinking Rain-X, but sounds like, from other posts, that may damage the plastic, so that may not be an option. Certainly seems to me, the designers have tested these lights for such things, and it shouldn't be a problem. I'll see how ours do this winter, since I haven't driven it in winter yet. I know my Bonneville's headlights have never given me a problem, and I would hope the Enclave, being much more expensive and advanced should not cause any new problems. We ARE going forward with design, not backwards, right?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I never knew the lites were vented either, till PaPoPo said it. So I just put the film over the main, centered-90% and it worked well all last Winter. Lamin-X was brand. Did it for stone protection after a near miss! No snow build up was a side bene.
If you own your E outright, cover the glass to protect/save it! If you lease............it'll look O.K. in 3-4 years, but one stone will ruin your whole day............ :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Where are the vents on the headlight covers? I just looked mine over really close, and could find no openings in them. There are 3 sets of diffusers built into them, but there are no holes that I could find. I don't think they would put holes in the covers, since this would allow dirt and water inside the headlight housing. Cold water on a very hot bulb would probably not be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
long time ago I posted regarding condensation at times in the headlights....i took it to the dealer thinking it was an issue, leak etc and I was informed that you may see it at times due to the humidity and temp. the dealer informed me and that the lights are vented due to the heat build up and when turned on the condensation would go away..it did..they are the ridges on the upper left side of the light on the right side and opposite on the left side.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts