EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live around LOTS of deer, and one hopped right in front of me on my way home tonight. I was on a 4 lane road, I was on the inside lane focused on avoiding all the friggin' pot holes when the deer jumped out from my right. At that point I didn't know if there was someone in the lane next to me so I didn't swerve, I just slammed the brakes and shut my eyes! BAM! It happened very fast. I looked in the rearview and saw the deer scamper up the other side of the road into the timber. I was about 5 minutes from home, I called my husband, I was very upset. I was afraid to see the damage. When I got out I went around front and was surprised that the only damage was to my left headlight. It was broke, and part of the body was not aligned right where the headlight is. Seems minimal but I doubt it will be "minimal" to fix, those headlights will be expensive I bet. Although it's just the lens cover, not the light itself, the lights still work fine. My husband knows a guy who runs a body shop, and we differ over where to take it for repair. He says it'll cost a lot more to take it to Buick, but I worry that if we don't take it to Buick it may not be repaired correctly. Any thoughts? I'm just SICK!!! :sosad:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Hit a deer coming home from work today!! :-(

Halle's mom said:
We live around LOTS of deer, and one hopped right in front of me on my way home tonight. I was on a 4 lane road, I was on the inside lane focused on avoiding all the friggin' pot holes when the deer jumped out from my right. At that point I didn't know if there was someone in the lane next to me so I didn't swerve, I just slammed the brakes and shut my eyes! BAM! It happened very fast. I looked in the rearview and saw the deer scamper up the other side of the road into the timber. I was about 5 minutes from home, I called my husband, I was very upset. I was afraid to see the damage. When I got out I went around front and was surprised that the only damage was to my left headlight. It was broke, and part of the body was not aligned right where the headlight is. Seems minimal but I doubt it will be "minimal" to fix, those headlights will be expensive I bet. Although it's just the lens cover, not the light itself, the lights still work fine. My husband knows a guy who runs a body shop, and we differ over where to take it for repair. He says it'll cost a lot more to take it to Buick, but I worry that if we don't take it to Buick it may not be repaired correctly. Any thoughts? I'm just SICK!!! :sosad:
Being an insurance agent, I disagree with your husband by wanting to take it to his friend especially with this being a first year vehicle. To get good aftermarket OEM parts will be a challenge. By taking it to Buick it guarantees you can get original product right from the manufacturer. The cost really should not matter if you have insurance. I suggest finding out the cost prior to submitting an insurance claim, and if the damage is more than $500-$1000 over your deductible, then put in the claim. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
484 Posts

Hi Halle's Mom:

I know just how you feel and I sympathize with you.
I, too, hit a deer about this time two years ago. I was on a country 2 lane highway, after dark, slowing down coming into a town, so I was doing about 32 MPH. The deer ran right in front of me and I just kept it straight and stood on my brake pedal. The deer glanced off the right front of my van and ended up on his back, legs flailing, on the other side of the road. I stopped to make sure no one else hit it, but I was not about to get out and drag it off the road. Actually, it probably lived. I keep telling myself that. My hood had a dent that was fixable and the grille work on the front of the van was damaged, but no headlight damage.

We use a top notch body shop that is rather expensive and for that damage it was $1,400. So, I would think your headlight might be less and, let me say, that getting it done at a reputable body shop is the way to go. You will never know it happened after they are through with it. Anything less than perfect and you will not be happy, IMHO.

Gramma with Deer experience :angel:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

Was the deer insured? ;D Did it have any doe? (Ouch)

Sorry. Glad it wasn't worse. Deer have killed drivers around here on occasion. be very careful if you get out as other motorists could hit YOU, and an injured deer may kick! possibly deadly.

Call authorities, give location (Onstar is great here...use RED button) unless you see it run off.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Sorry about your bad luck. Those deer can be a pain in the you-know-what sometimes. I almost hit one this summer with my Avalanche.

I've seen the headlight housing on eBay for about $290 delivered to my door so that's not so bad. If you've got the articulating headlights you may have a pretty big expense.

I have to add my experience here in that many dealerships have only mediocre body shops. Find a good independent shop based on BBB ratings, friend's recommendations, etc. and tell them you want only OEM replacement parts. Odds are that a dealership body shop has never had an Enclave in for repair so it will likely be their first time working on one; the independent shops will have access to manuals just like the dealerships.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Oh, Halle's Mom, I feel so bad for you! These **** deer are a nightmare! I have hit 3 in the last year (none with my Enclave, thankfully!). We used to call my minivan the deer magnet. I have had many close calls, too! In this one incident, I saw a deer coming across the road, so I slowed to a stop, looked both ways to see if any more were coming, and then the second **** deer RAN INTO the drivers side door while I was completely stopped! ::)
I have taught my children and all their friends to "HIT THE **** DEER!" Do not swerve (you could hit a tree or a pedestrian or oncoming traffic) Just slam on the brakes, hold the steering wheel steady and hit it. You can shut your eyes too!
So you all seem to have done the same thing and survived.
Unfortunately, we have had multiple, fatal accidents in our area where the drivers (usually teens) have "inexplicably left the road and hit a tree". I just know they were probably swerving to avoid a deer. Too sad.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

*Enclave* said:
Oh, Halle's Mom, I feel so bad for you! These **** deer are a nightmare! I have hit 3 in the last year (none with my Enclave, thankfully!). We used to call my minivan the deer magnet. I have had many close calls, too! In this one incident, I saw a deer coming across the road, so I slowed to a stop, looked both ways to see if any more were coming, and then the second **** deer RAN INTO the drivers side door while I was completely stopped! ::)
I have taught my children and all their friends to "HIT THE **** DEER!" Do not swerve (you could hit a tree or a pedestrian or oncoming traffic) Just slam on the brakes, hold the steering wheel steady and hit it. You can shut your eyes too!
Unfortunately, we have had multiple, fatal accidents in our area where the drivers (usually teens) have "inexplicably left the road and hit a tree". I just know they were probably swerving to avoid a deer. Too sad.
Wow! But what seems like "cold" advice is actually the best course of action in most cases, I agree. Sometimes, on dry roads, wide open vistas, maybe a small swerve is the right action. I do it for squirrels! But only a little, when conditions optimum to swerve madly. Hey, it ain't a kid! And I don't need any cosmetic surgery at this point in my life. (I heard that!)

But I also know of a teenage driver, NON-drinker/drugger, athlete etc., who just inexplicably hit a tree and perished.........in a heavy deer area. Very sad situation. I suspect a deer also. Around here, near a State park, authorities allowed Bow& Arrow hunting to thin the herd. You shoulda heard the outcry. This ain't cruelty, just needed, drastic measures. Yes, they trapped and shipped some last year. Now, no one wants them anymore. Tough stuff to deal with.

As always when driving, prepare, train, think about it before hand, take action if it does happen.
Again, human life comes first and I'm glad you're OK.

·
Registered
360 Posts

*Enclave* said:
I will third or fourth this opinion. It is without question the better option to hit the deer rather than try to miss it and go off the road and hit a tree, roll into a ditch or hit another car!! There is a small possibility that it may get to the windshield, but with most cars, especially a car the size of the Enclave, this is VERY unlikely. I know this sounds "cruel" but not as cruel as being dead or in the ICU for months!

Halle's Mom: Your Enclave will be as good as new, hopefully soon. :comfort: In regards to body shops, I have a little different opinion. A GOOD body shop will be able to get the same parts from GM as the Buick dealer. In a new vehicle like the Enclave, there will be no other options other than Buick as a parts source. A skilled body shop guy will know how things work, and get everything back together the right way!! :thumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts

Halle's Mom,

My best advise is to contact your agent and let him/her state your options for repair. He can advise which shops are the best to work with and give the best quality with fewest complaints. From there it should be easy to get the estimates you desire and can make a decision as to whether to turn in a claim and where to fix. OEM means original equipment manufacture and is the opposite of aftermarket. This vehicle is so new, I'm sure you will get an OEM part. Saying the fender does not align properly tells me you have other damage. A good Body Shop is needed to complete the repairs properly, then you'll be satisfied with the finished product. If you are insured with State Farm they have Select Service Shops that will make life simpler for you in that you'll only need the one estimate. They take the pictures, order the parts and all you have to do is let them have the car to fix. Those shops are known and have a history of being the best quality shops in the area. Being a State Farm agent for 34 years qualifies me to make those statements, and I wish you good luck in the repairs to your car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice and opinions. Noneb4god, thanks for the insurance advice, I am hesitant to put in a claim for fear of increased premiums. We'll see. At least I don't have the articulating lights. I think I agree that a good body shop will do just as good as the dealership, and probably for less, since the dealership tried to charge me twice what it would cost to replace a tire than what we ended up paying. I can't believe I'm already on my 2nd repair! :angryfire: Poor Halle.

PS gshields, thanks for the advice, I don't have State Farm, I have Farmers. Like I said I'm worried about increased premiums. I've heard that if you just call and question about a claim, that it counts as a claim! Is this true? I heard that from consumer advocate Clark Howard. ???

·
Registered
484 Posts

I have to add my 2 cents here with regard to insurance companies. When I went in for my deer damage repair, I got the estimate first from the body shop that I wanted to take my minivan to for repair. Then, the insurance estimator came out and lowballed the repair estimate. When I asked him why he stated that they would pay for cheaper parts made by a comptetitor and not genuine Chrysler parts. The body shop estimator warned me of this, so I was ready for Mr. insurance guy. I told him I paid insurance for replacement and that was what I wanted. He told me all the insurance companies were now doing it this way. We had a somewhat spirited discussion about it, but he stuck with his estimate. the body shop estimator spoke with him and got him to agree to genuine Chrysler parts. You might want to discuss this with whatever body shop estimator you talk with. It is well worth it to find someone who is good in helping you with insurance if you are going to use it for your repair.

And, as far as swerving when faced with hitting a deer - Gramma says "NEVER, NEVER, swerve!" :nono: Plant it into your brain. The odds are against you. As I said in my previous post, I felt terrible I'd hit a deer, but life isn't always sweet and faced with my mortality of his life or mine, it is going to be me. After all, I only have so many years left on this planet. :rock:

Gramma

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

asgard said:
Unlucky -- I am unsure as to what side you refer to left side ? passenger or driver -

There is one for sale on ebay Us just now it says passenger side $240

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buick-Enclave-P...ryZ33710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also a front grill, a new stainless grill and a front bumper.
I say left as you're sitting in the car looking ahead. It's the driver's side light. I just posted a couple pictures of the damage in my album.

Yes, I am glad I didn't swerve. It really was a no-brainer when it happened. Seemed like it was happening in slow motion. There was a guy right behind me. I slammed the brakes, but he apparently was far enough behind me to be able to stop, or he saw the deer. I never came to a stop but I kept going very slow for a few seconds after I hit it. Kind of dazed I guess. I never hit anything before. I'm glad it didn't flip up onto the car!

·
Registered
484 Posts

Halle: In looking at your picture, it looks as though your front panel was moved a bit. Is that just the way it looks in the picture, or is it loose?

·
Registered
29 Posts

Hate to hear about that. Just as a side note, my friend bumped their brand new Mazda-9. Broke one "headlight assembly".......$750.00 just for the part. Just be prepared for a shock on the price. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

htrdgrma said:
Halle: In looking at your picture, it looks as though your front panel was moved a bit. Is that just the way it looks in the picture, or is it loose?
Yeah the front panel, right next to the light where there's a seam, is bent some. No paint damage so I'm hoping it will be an easier fix.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Halle, I can not speak for Farmer's, but it should not raise your preiums just to talk about it. Turning in a claim could very well make a difference, however, many Ins Co offers good driving discounts and forgive a claim if none have been turned in for some time. Check it out, I'd like to think you can trust your agent enough to get good sound advise from him and make your decision based on facts rather than what your "neighbor" might say. After all, who might be in the best position to offer sound advise?

Good luck and let me know who else I may assist you.

·
Registered
16 Posts

The Base headlamp will run you about $1000 if ordered from GM. They will have to remove the front bumpper to get it out. The seam that is sticking out has a bracket on the fender that ties the Headlamp, fender and bumber together. That bracket is most likey bent. It is welded to the fender, hopfully they will be able to bend it back. I would double check your fog/DRL lamp and make sure that is not loose, the impact could of broke that bracket as well.

There is a service module headlamp you could get, It is the shell of the lamp without the bulbs, HID ballast, bumper bracket and other serviceable items. Since your current lamp still works they can salvage the comonents off it and combine that with the service module. It will keep your cost down. Just make sure you put it back to gether correctly. The part number for the LH base service module is 25830907.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

patman, thank you, you sound very knowledgeable, just curious, how do you know all this? We just got an estimate from a body shop, the light housing cost they tell us is $808.04, the whole bid cost $1350.00, :eek: because there's a small amount of paint damage (which I didn't see), but so now that will require repainting the whole bumper! :banghead: :banghead: I'm going to print your post and show it to the shop and see what they say. Unfortunately our insurance deductible is at least $1000 (to keep premium costs down). I guess we're money ahead if you look at the whole picture (in $ savings in premiums over the months compared to the cost of the repair), but it still hurts! :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts