EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has added a hitch and wiring harness after they purchased the car and not from the factory. I found an Enclave that had everything except the trailering package and could not wait any longer. Now I have to add one. Any ideas, suggestions? Also is the hitch hidden behind the pigtail or does the pigtail have to be removed once you install a hitch? I saw a picture that looked like a different pigtail than what I have.

·
Registered
743 Posts
cchatelle said:
Just wondering if anyone has added a hitch and wiring harness after they purchased the car and not from the factory. I found an Enclave that had everything except the trailering package and could not wait any longer. Now I have to add one. Any ideas, suggestions? Also is the hitch hidden behind the pigtail or does the pigtail have to be removed once you install a hitch? I saw a picture that looked like a different pigtail than what I have.
It's not all about the Hitch and Wiring. I don't know what you're planning on pulling, but the other Plus in ordering with Towing Pkg., is the Xmission Oil Cooler.
Congrats on your Ride and Be Careful.

G

·
you also dont get tow haul mode, i think that even if your not going to tow any thing and just wnat it for a bike rack or somthing that you should get the tow packedge beacuse it is so hard to get everyting that gm gives you with their tow packedge aftermarket

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the factory tow package and the hitch is hidden behind the pigtail, have to remove the pigtail cover for the hitch to be used, when not in use it is nicely hidden keeping the clean lines of the back end of the Enclave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Agree with the above. The towing capability is much lower without the tow pkg. If it is just for a bike rack, no problem. If it is for "real" towing, I would stongly recommend getting the factory tow pkg. Better to get it right the first time than regret the decision latter. ( It also will look much nicer with the hitch covered up when not in use). :thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already bought the enclave so I need to add a hitch. I guess I was asking if anyone has done this yet and if so was the wiring easy enough to do?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cchatelle said:
I already bought the enclave so I need to add a hitch. I guess I was asking if anyone has done this yet and if so was the wiring easy enough to do?
Hi. Go to a professional hitch shop and get a price/advice. The wiring should be garden variety stuff. But the physical mounting is another question. This is a unibody frame, I believe , and requires the correct attachment for strength and reliablity. If you can wait a day or 2, I will go under mine and try to see what they did to it, for the hitch! I can even take pix if anything is external. I have seen it once on a lift and noticed a box-style frame layout ,of what basicly looks like an L shaped, angle-iron square bed frame. (don't laugh! it's about that size and looks) It's visable just by looking underneath as it hangs lower than I would like. However I don't know if this is because of the hitch or a basic undercarriage protection frame common to all, to save the gas tank and tranny, etc. from road damage. I haven't looked under any other 'Claves, so I don't know.

Will inspect and advise, possibly pix! OK?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was scootin' around the under side of the Enclave so I thought I might take a few pics while everyhting was still clean. They are posted in my gallery. (Click on the camera icon on the left). Hope the hitch photos help. :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up our enclave last week.... while my wife was signing the papers, I was looking through the manual and noted that EVEN IF you purchase the trailer tow package, the brake and battery charger leads are NOT hooked up to the fuse panel. I spoke to my dealer about it, and they are going to do it free of charge. anybody with the trailer tow package should be aware that these two leads are NOT hooked up. My dealer told me that is was supposed to be on the dealer PDI, but I think that was BS.
The 7 pin wiring harness and receptacle is well placed under the dash, and I purchased a brake controller for my travel trailer on the weekend and after wiring it to the harness, I was able to place it on the dash and then when I was done towing, I just removed the whole harness from the receptacle. My wife loves it, first vehicle we have had that doesn't have an unsightly brake controller mounted under the dash.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I remember a discussion of adding trailer wiring aftermarket. It may have been on the Acadia forum. If I remember correctly, there is a difference in the electrical system between the factory installed trailer package and those without the trailer package. Those adding aftermarket were needing to switch out some fuse panel in order to get 7 pin wiring to work. You need to check into this to make sure the wiring will work for you as expected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a Hidden Hitch #87435 from etrailer.com and had it shipped directly to my local independent mechanic. He's experienced in hitch installations and had the hitch attached in about 30 minutes. He charged me $20.00. The exhaust system needs to be lowered during the installation so make sure the installing person knows how to do this; it isn't difficult but a support is needed for the exhaust during the installation. No drilling is needed because the Enclave already has the holes drilled and the weldnuts installed. I only use the hitch to hold my bike rack so wiring was not installed. The pigtail (cover) cannot be used after the hitch is installed. I attach the bar and ball when the bike rack is removed; it provides me with a step for entering the cargo area ( I'm 5'7") and it keeps other cars away from my back bumper when the car is parked. Access the gallery image, page 3 for a photo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for their replies. What I think I am hearing is that a factory installed hitch can use the pigtail while the aftermarket ones cannot. Has anyone ordered a GM hitch after they already bought the Enclave? I suppose I can wait to see if they come out with one.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cchatelle said:
Thanks to everyone for their replies. What I think I am hearing is that a factory installed hitch can use the pigtail while the aftermarket ones cannot. Has anyone ordered a GM hitch after they already bought the Enclave? I suppose I can wait to see if they come out with one.
Finally got the Clave away from my wife and I see XRAYMAN beat me to the under-chasis pix! (and a nice job too!) Note in his 2nd hitch pix that you see a heavy bar from the hitch, going around the spare tire, and off to the chasis/frame. The two bolts, on the underside of rear bumper frame, that he shows, should not be depended on for hitch mounting by themselves! The square receiver would flex and eventually break!

The Hidden Hitch Co. also mentioned here by AZENO8, makes an excellent product and
is the only one I would compare to OEM pricing. Good luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks Smokin. Hope I didn't rain on your picture parade ;) I was already there and thought I might as well. The etrailer.com product looks nearly identicle to the factory job. Looks pretty simple to install too.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
xrayman said:
Thanks Smokin. Hope I didn't rain on your picture parade ;) I was already there and thought I might as well. The etrailer.com product looks nearly identicle to the factory job. Looks pretty simple to install too.
I never turn down a helping hand! :thumb: Your pix told the tale.
Am not familiar w/ etrailer however. I know Hidden hitch has been around a while and has good rep.
All considering a heavy and hot summer pulls, might want to consider a trans cooler like OEM hitch comes with. Especially long hauls. I wouldn't worry for short distance, low speed pulls. Most tranny shops can do this common request reasonably I suspect.
good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone been able to order a GM Hitch. I assume they make one that can use the pigtail when not in use. It appears the hidden hitch part sticks out further than GM's version? Another question. Does anyone know if the wiring harness is a direct plug into an existing place on the Enclave or do they have to do some wiring connections to get it to work?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I installed a Draw-Tite hitch myself (no harness). It took me about 30-minutes. There are bolt sockets under the chassis and the hitch is specifically made for Lambdas (they all line-up perfectly). I dropped the mufflers down by removing the rubber "hangers" which was very easy to do and gave room to tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
cchatelle said:
Has anyone been able to order a GM Hitch. I assume they make one that can use the pigtail when not in use. It appears the hidden hitch part sticks out further than GM's version? Another question. Does anyone know if the wiring harness is a direct plug into an existing place on the Enclave or do they have to do some wiring connections to get it to work?
If I understand it all correctly, the wiring harness is present on the vehicles (without the towing package) but the fusebox needs replaced to enable the wiring harness to work correctly. There is a TSB that can be done (free under warranty) to enable the wiring harness. More details on this at...

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.msg21642#msg21642

The existing wiring harness plugs into a wiring adapter, the wiring adapter mounts to the hitch. A picture of one of the wiring adapters is attached.

I just asked about the GM hitch in the thread below...

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=991.0

According to the acadiaforum.net thread above, the GM hitch part number should be 15926187 but I haven't found an Enclave owner that has verified that part number.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gavine said:
I installed a Draw-Tite hitch myself (no harness). It took me about 30-minutes. There are bolt sockets under the chassis and the hitch is specifically made for Lambdas (they all line-up perfectly). I dropped the mufflers down by removing the rubber "hangers" which was very easy to do and gave room to tighten the bolts.
Gavine: Are you able to put the pigtail back on when the hitch is not in use?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts