EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Though I don't think that my thermostat allows temperature swing adjustments, I think that my new HVAC system is designed to limit swings to either +/-1oF or +/-0.5oF. I will check on that. Regardless, I am increasingly impressed with the comfort that this new Lennox provides. It turns out that the variable speed blower sometimes blows so hard that I think that the nearby vent was causing the thermostat to shut off too soon, so the system was cycling more often than the old system. Since closing the vent in that room, not only has the system cycled less frequently, but also the upper level of the house is virtually as cool as the lower level for the first time in the 17 years that we've owned the home. :thumb:

BTW, I think that the sound coming from the vents is just as loud at times as when the old system was in place due to the periods when the new system is blowing air at a rate at least twice that of the old system. This new Lennox can really move air! :woot:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got the first utility bill covering my new system's first full month. It seems that the energy savings is substantial, despite the fact that I've been keeping the house a bit cooler and more comfortable than when I had the original system. Based on my estimation, the new system uses about half the electricity of the old one. I'm truly impressed! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
We are going to have a heat pump installed next month - shopping now. What model Lennox do you have?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
rockyp said:
We are going to have a heat pump installed next month - shopping now. What model Lennox do you have?
I purchased the Lennox XC21. It is not a heat pump, but rather a separate gas furnace and compressor system. Heat pumps are not typically indicated in this area.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Just checked into this thread for the first time......

I myself happen to be a Lennox owner, having chosen one of their 19 SEER variable-speed condensing units and a 98+ furnace back in 2007 when I replaced my home's original Trane system. It's been a good, reliable.....though I did have to replace the furnace's main controller board (under warranty) a couple years back.....and quiet System. I've never been sorry I chose Dave Lennox over the more expensive Carrier system.

Regarding the comparatively huge size of these newer high-efficiency condensing (A/C) units over the far smaller (and less efficient) units they replaced, its due to greater coil/heat transfer surface; the larger the coil, the more heat can be released (and efficiencies therefore increase). My Lennox unit is at least twice the height of the early 90's vintage 8 SEER (I think) Trane unit it replaced, though it's diameter isn't ridiculously huge. Carrier units tend to achieve this greater coil surface space with a far greater unit diameter (but comparatively less height).

BTW, you commented on the fact that your new condensing unit was much quieter than the old one......and that's probably true for more than one reason; though it's mostly because of its variable speed design. That means it runs at different speeds (faster or slower) based on the specific need for cooling; that's one of the first things most new owners of high-efficiency equipment notice. And quieter is always better when it comes to HVAC equipment.

However, the fact you find the noise internal to your home to be little different than before is not a surprise. Noisy airflow is as much (or more) a product of duct sizing.....and residential ductwork tends to be undersized in most cases....meaning you're trying to push more air than it's designed ideally to carry; hence, the pressure drops which manifests itself through noise. You've probably noticed that when the supply fan is running at low speed, the noise is less than before. But when it's hot outside.....and the call is for maximum cooling/rapid temp pulldown.....you're still hearing a fair amount of noise.

BTW Sailfish, if you weren't aware of this, American Standard was previously the corporate parent of Trane......later, and subsequent to a separate corporate buyout which ended American Standard as a business name, the Company was renamed The Trane Company and was purchased by Ingersoll Rand. Trane and American Standard both remain I/R brands today whose equipment are built (in many cases) simultaneously on the same assembly lines. Trane would be positioned in the marketplace as the so-called "premium" brand competing against Carrier and Lennox, and AS would be a more mid-line brand.

So, it's quite likely the American Standard HVAC unit in your home followed other identical units down the same assembly line which ended up with Trane enclosures, paint finishes, and labels. The mechanically identical Trane units were likely priced higher in the marketplace.....and might have had longer warranties......but you received a good value (since the comparative quality was essentially identical).

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
wvuguy said:
BTW Sailfish, if you weren't aware of this, American Standard was previously the corporate parent of Trane......later, and subsequent to a separate corporate buyout which ended American Standard as a business name, the Company was renamed The Trane Company and was purchased by Ingersoll Rand. Trane and American Standard both remain I/R brands today whose equipment are built (in many cases) simultaneously on the same assembly lines. Trane would be positioned in the marketplace as the so-called "premium" brand competing against Carrier and Lennox, and AS would be a more mid-line brand.

So, it's quite likely the American Standard HVAC unit in your home followed other identical units down the same assembly line which ended up with Trane enclosures, paint finishes, and labels. The mechanically identical Trane units were likely priced higher in the marketplace.....and might have had longer warranties......but you received a good value (since the comparative quality was essentially identical).
No I wasn't aware of that. We are quite happy with the American Standard system.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was unaware of the American Standard/Trane link. It seems that American Standard is likely a very good deal, indeed!

BTW, I had come to the same conclusion about the restrictive duct work leading to more indoor forced air noise through the vents than with the much weaker Goodman unit that came with the house.

I am also very satisfied with the higher end Lennox system that I recently installed.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I was unaware of the American Standard/Trane link. It seems that American Standard is likely a very good deal, indeed!

BTW, I had come to the same conclusion about the restrictive duct work leading to more indoor forced air noise through the vents than with the much weaker Goodman unit that came with the house.

I am also very satisfied with the higher end Lennox system that I recently installed.
You made one of the biggest possible jumps you could make going from Goodman.....whose reputation was largely established (and remains that way) by being the industry's low-end/low-price leader.....to Lennox, which is right at the bleeding edge of the residential HVAC technology continuum.

Speaking of your Lennox system, did you select any kind of upgraded air filtration ?? We happened to add two friggin' cats to our household not terribly long before committing to the retrofit, and I figured we'd therefore make good use of upgraded filtration. So, I got turned onto (and specified) their top-of-the-line Pure Air unit; which combines a pleated MERV16 filter with a dual bulb UV light.

At roughly $150/kit, the unit's consumables (filter, catalyst, and UV lights) are pricey; but we have no issues whatsoever with household odors......and the filter collects more cat hair over the course of a year than you can believe. I probably should change the filter more often than annually for that reason.......but since I'm cheap (and fortunate that no one in my home has respiratory-related health issues), I live with that limitation.

Something like this might easily be viewed as overkill for many households; but for those with pets (or health problems), these whole-house purification systems can be quite beneficial.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I did not get the UV kit. The 5" filtration system came with an 11 MERV filter, but the 16 MERV filter will fit. As is, my impression is that it keeps the air fresher than the old system's high end 1" Filtrete filter did.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
One other aspect of my new ventilation system that has impressed me is the WiFi thermostat. Specifically, it automatically reacquires the WiFi connection when it is occasionally lost. Someone I know has a Honeywell WiFi thermostat that requires manual reacquisition at the thermostat. That would be annoying when trying to adjust the system remotely only to find that the system is offline.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now that the cooler weather has hit NJ, my HVAC's new furnace has finally kicked in. It is so quiet that I have had to check to see if it has been working. It is so unobtrusive that it almost seems to be keeping the house comfortably warm by magic. :happy:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
That is a good thing!!!!!

I can hear our furnace fire up when I am in the family room downstairs. The furnace room door is across from the sofa.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My previous system took a 1" filter that I replaced every 3 months. My new HVAC uses 5" filters with a 1 year replacement indication. The 1" filters appeared only mildly dirty after 3 months, so it seems reasonable to expect proper performance from a 5" filters for the prescribed 12 months. Does anyone have any experience with the actual lifespan of 5" filter designs?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Our system has 2 electronic filters, reusable just wash off. Plus the 1" replaceable filter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's hard to believe, but my new Lennox HVAC is a year old already. So far, I've been very pleased. It is better, in some ways far better, than the Goodman unit that it replaced. It is much quieter, more evenly heating and cooling, much more energy efficient in cooling, a little more energy efficient in heating, and even more aesthetically pleasing. In addition, it's thermostatic controls are much more useful, informative, and convenient. Plus, the 5" filtration system is more effective and much more convenient to change than the prior system's 1" filter design.

What an enormous improvement over the original system! I would wholeheartedly recommend the Lennox Signature Series without hesitation! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Yea I know this is an older thread but....here goes.

This last summer I had the AC unit repaired. It had failed on us in the fall of 2016. I waited and waited and...FINALLY in June had Dale over to repair the unit.

AND now....**** it, the furnace is acting up. The blower motor's bearings have froze up. The furnace cycles on and then after a couple minutes, off.

At least it is suppose to be rather warm this week.

I called Dale this morning, left a message and waiting to hear back from him.

Saturday the blower was making such a **** racket my husband shut the furnace off over night. The temperature was 71 degrees and by morning it was 64 degrees inside. Later he turned the furnace back on and after a few "kick starts" it fired up and the temperature gradually climbed back to 71 degrees.

Then last night it started to make a strange noise. Not the clanking and grinding but more of a "steady groan". Husband said the fan had bit the dust.

Now to wait for that call from our repair fella...tick tock...tick tock.

Our home was built, in 1974, as a total electric home and around 1998 we went with a propane/electric heat pump/furnace.

Then in 2002, AFTER the heat pump failed, we switched to a total propane furnace/AC unit, no heat pump.

Until this last summer the AC unit never failed on us. The furnace, we have had to have the fuel igniters cleaned every 3 or so years.

The furnace/ac are American Standard...and I am not planning on replacing the unit, hopefully that is.

Fingers crossed as I sit and wait for the phone to ring.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Wheww....dodged that one. Received the bill yesterday for the repair/replacement of the blower motor unit.

$525.00!

That is a heck of a lot less that what we had anticipated.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My utility provider offers a home maintenance plan for around $32 a month, that covers the oven, washer, drier, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, furnace and A/C. It covers most of the parts less heat exchanger on furnace. Over the last three years I've had to use it multiple times as my home (drier circuit board, furnace circuit board twice, furnace blower motor and gas valve) is getting to be around 18 years old. Once I noticed the furnace wasn't working around 8 at night, I called and someone was there by 9 and furnace back and running by 10. I've received way more than I've spent.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wheww....dodged that one. Received the bill yesterday for the repair/replacement of the blower motor unit.

$525.00!

That is a heck of a lot less that what we had anticipated.
Phew! Great news! :dancing:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
7 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing