EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a suggestion to improve your forums.

A valuable feature of many forums is the ability to hover over the subject line with the cursor and a portion of the text appears for a few seconds. This allows the reader to get an idea if the message is worth looking into or not (not always, but often) rather than having to open the thread. It's a customer service oriented feature that really is nice.

Thanks for your time and effort on these forums!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
that feature sounds really nice :thumb:

R

·
0 Posts
that would be a great feature, i remember it on the old acadia forum. gmcacadia.org but that site has gone to h >:D :angryfire:
Been almost 5 months since i have gone over there, wonder what it has turned in to now

A

·
0 Posts
Good suggestion. Let me look into that and see if something like that is possible with this software.

A

·
0 Posts
Ok, I found a plug-in that does the preview on hover like you asked. The only issue is, they use the quick and dirty trick of "borrowing" the title attribute to do it. While this works and is very easy to implement, by default Firefox shows only 80 characters of a title attribute. That means it displays correctly (all 300 characters) in Internet Explorer, but only 80 in Firefox. This is a known bug in Firefox and has been fixed in the newest releases (3.03Alpha), but if you use firefox and want the "correct" behavior, you can download the following Add-on to fix it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file/16759/long_titles-1.3-fx.xpi

Let me know how this works for you guys.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
From an IE user - very nice, I like it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
very nice admin.... i like this :thumb:

R

·
0 Posts
it does not seem to work with safari, i will have to try it on my laptop later.

A

·
0 Posts
Rolling Thunder - Good to know. I don't own a mac, do they make safari for Windows so I can test it? I'm still not thrilled with the implementation. It'll do for now, but using the title attribute vs true dHTML is a pretty cheap way of getting around the issue. Now that I know which files it modified, I can probably build my own that will work and look a little better, and hopefully be a bit more standards complaint (i.e. work on more browsers). Until then, at least the bulk of users have some sort of preview function.

R

·
0 Posts
i fixed it ;D, i downloaded the new safari beta and i get 300 words to view and spell check YES!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts