EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an old question, but it comes from a new owner who has spent almost as much time looking through the forum for a definitive answer as paging through the DVD operation section of the manual.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fade the DVD soundtrack to the rear speakers only, or at least mute the front speakers, while the kids are watching a movie? I know (or think, anyway) that it has to do with Dolby 5.1, but almost every DVD we have seems to come with Dolby. It seems hard to believe that the front speakers can't be silenced while the DVD plays in back, especially in such an expensive system, but so far we haven't figured it out. Even our old Odyssey could fade entirely to the rear...

·
Registered
612 Posts
bailey123 said:
This may be an old question, but it comes from a new owner who has spent almost as much time looking through the forum for a definitive answer as paging through the DVD operation section of the manual.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fade the DVD soundtrack to the rear speakers only, or at least mute the front speakers, while the kids are watching a movie? I know (or think, anyway) that it has to do with Dolby 5.1, but almost every DVD we have seems to come with Dolby. It seems hard to believe that the front speakers can't be silenced while the DVD plays in back, especially in such an expensive system, but so far we haven't figured it out. Even our old Odyssey could fade entirely to the rear...
Which audio pkg do you have?
(do you have the navigation screen?)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't have the rear DVD (just Nav up front) but another poster ( think it was ccatts) says that in the front dash DVD/audio "setup/Menu" that you can opt for "Stereo 2.0" instead of Dolby 5.1. Then you can fade the speakers rear, using the front dash Fader (press Audio note button)control button .

Should work as long as the DVD movie has a 2.0 stereo track, in addition to 5.1 !!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I don't have the rear DVD (just Nav up front) but another poster ( think it was ccatts) says that in the front dash DVD/audio "setup/Menu" that you can opt for "Stereo 2.0" instead of Dolby 5.1. Then you can fade the speakers rear, using the front dash Fader (press Audio note button)control button .

Should work as long as the DVD movie has a 2.0 stereo track, in addition to 5.1 !!
Correct Smokin, here is the link to the original thread containing my comments. Keep in mind if you don't have Ent. #4 with the NAV screen, you can use the musical note button on the DVD remote to swap between 5.1 audio streams and 2.0 audio streams on the DVD disc (if available). You would then just use the fade control on the head unit to fade to the rear speakers. Good luck bailey123 and welcome to the Enclave family!

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1981.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the prompt responses. Should have made clear, we do have Ent. Package 4 (with the Nav). We will try what you suggested (thanks esp. ccats for the attached thread) and hopefully get it worked out. Like a couple of other owners, this DVD audio quirk is really our only complaint with our month old Enclave.

·
Registered
333 Posts
bailey123 said:
Thanks for the prompt responses. Should have made clear, we do have Ent. Package 4 (with the Nav). We will try what you suggested (thanks esp. ccats for the attached thread) and hopefully get it worked out. Like a couple of other owners, this DVD audio quirk is really our only complaint with our month old Enclave.
My kids use the headsets and we listen to what WE want up front...period!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I doesn't make sense to use only the rear speakers. If you don't want to hear the DVD audio, have the people in the back use the headphones. Then you can listen to what you want up front. You can still hear the audio even if it's only coming from the rear. It just won't be as loud. I'm still amazed at some of the requests I read on this forum. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
NOLA Saints said:
I doesn't make sense to use only the rear speakers. If you don't want to hear the DVD audio, have the people in the back use the headphones. Then you can listen to what you want up front. You can still hear the audio even if it's only coming from the rear. It just won't be as loud. I'm still amazed at some of the requests I read on this forum. :banghead:
Yeah, and I'm still amazed at some of the demanding kids these days and how hard good parents try to please them ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
NOLA Saints said:
I've thought about getting a small pair of computer speakers with the headphone jack and using them from the rear audio instead of the headphones. That might acheive what you are looking for?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Yeah, and I'm still amazed at some of the demanding kids these days and how hard good parents try to please them ;D
I'm not questioning anyone's parenting skills. If you want the DVD audio to play only in the back speakers because your kids don't want to use headphones, that's fine. But the system was designed to be used with headphones so people in the rear can listen what they want and YOU can listen to what YOU want. GM engineers can't accommodate every possible scenario when designing a system. What about the kids in the 3rd row? What should they hear? The bass isn't loud in the back either, should there be subs in all 3 rows? The requests are endless, and they would drive up the price of the vehicle.

I don't have kids. If I did, I would tell them in the most loving way possible to "put your headphones on and watch your **** movie!" Ha! :angel:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Me neither, NOLA Saints ! Just poking some fun at how too many choices can drive anyone nuts! As you said, where does it end? You'll never please everyone. Even Toyota dumped the Echo due to harsh criticism. (had the speedometer in dead center of dashboard!!)

However, I have 3 children, and there were times past that I'd want to drive with my head out the sunroof!! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
johnt26 said:
My kids use the headsets and we listen to what WE want up front...period!
Not sure how old your kids are, but a 6 and 4 year old are not going to want to have those crappy headphone on for the whole lenght of a movie. And as I've stated before, haveing the center channel and front right & left channels in front of the driver makes no sence, since the screen is behind them. Offer some noise cancelling over the ears headphones and maybe kids would wear them.

I will be going to some car audio experts to see if there is a way to modify the entertainment system to only play 2.0 stereo.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
TheKings said:
Not sure how old your kids are, but a 6 and 4 year old are not going to want to have those crappy headphone on for the whole lenght of a movie. And as I've stated before, haveing the center channel and front right & left channels in front of the driver makes no sence, since the screen is behind them. Offer some noise cancelling over the ears headphones and maybe kids would wear them.

I will be going to some car audio experts to see if there is a way to modify the entertainment system to only play 2.0 stereo.
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/details.asp?prod_id=95623

GM official headphones, over the ear design with noise cancelling technology. My 6 and 4 year old boys actually wear these even if the movie is on the regular speakers because they love them so much. We bought 2 of these as extras because we have 4 kids. They are slightly different than the ones shipped with the Enclave.

Have you tried accessing the "audio" options menu of your DVD to select Dolby Digital 2.0 Audio stream using the remote control as I suggested? It doesn't matter if you use the headphones however. Good Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great. Thanks for the link. Wow, four sets of headphones. Where do you store them? I wish there was a convenient place to put these things when not being used. Too bad there isn't a clip in the ceiling to snap them too above each seat.

I have used the audio options and changed the audio to 2.0 when it is available on the disc, however we have lots of discs that aren't encoded in 2.0 :( I guess the movie industry is cutting this encoding out to make more space for other features on the disc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We are a family of 4 kids= 4 headphones in our Enclave too! I have a small basket to place them in. I bought the second set on Ebay after somone posting about it here on the forum.

·
Registered
333 Posts
TheKings said:
Great. Thanks for the link. Wow, four sets of headphones. Where do you store them? I wish there was a convenient place to put these things when not being used. Too bad there isn't a clip in the ceiling to snap them too above each seat.

I have used the audio options and changed the audio to 2.0 when it is available on the disc, however we have lots of discs that aren't encoded in 2.0 :( I guess the movie industry is cutting this encoding out to make more space for other features on the disc.
We use the GM over-the-ear style for our 12 and 8 year-old kids, they like them better than the factory units. Since we only have two kids we store 2 of the headsets in the dual cupholders in the 3rd row and the "spare" 2 in the area that houses the jack. I assume that it was discussed already that the rear speakers cut-out when the rear ent. system is activated? My kids turn the system power "on" even if they are listening to their iPods through the iPod headphones so that the speakers in the back are muted...

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is crazy old, but I just bought an 08 enclave. Its an issue for me yet. I can't believe that the voice track can't be put to the rear. Just crazy.

And not every Dvd has Dolby 2.0 selectable

·
Registered
34 Posts
nschiermeyer said:
I know this is crazy old, but I just bought an 08 enclave. Its an issue for me yet. I can't believe that the voice track can't be put to the rear. Just crazy.

And not every Dvd has Dolby 2.0 selectable
All I did was move the sound via the audio controls to the rear of the car, that way we don't hear it as much, and the kids hear it better. We have a 20 month old and we don't want to put the headphones on her yet, so that is our only alternative.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts