EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Interesting read, it appears GM actually knows what they are doing and is "business savvy" for a change. Should help our cars retain higher re-sale value down the road as well, which is a GOOD thing.

However, I do take issue with this comment:

"And while the Enclave and the Acadia are hits for now, that could change in 2008 when GM begins building a Chevrolet version of the same vehicle, called the Traverse, at a plant in Tennessee. Because Chevrolet sells far more vehicles than Buick or GMC, the Traverse could very well pull buyers away from the Enclave."

Comparing the Enclave to the Traverse is completely unfair, because GM (finally) has differentiated the models so much that I can't imagine someone "settling" for a Traverse after "striving" for an Enclave.....even if the wait is longer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Centurion,
Thanks for posting this article! :thumb:

While I feel bad for the temporary workers who will lose their jobs -- and for those folks that have ordered their Enclave but have not been able to get it built yet (and of course, for those that couldn't/wouldn't wait for an order and have tried in vain to find one on the dealer's lot) -- I am somewhat relieved that GM has taken this approach. If they can figure out a way to "level off" the supply and build just enough to keep the vehicle in demand, then those of us that purchased one will be very happy years down the line when it's time to trade-in or sell. I ended up purchasing, even though I had every intent to lease -- mainly because of the logistical issues with doing this out-of-state and then having the dealer not willing to budge on charging me a 1% premium on the lease rate over the GMAC "buy rate" for the lease. That was what put me over the edge and was going add another $30+ per month.

So, I rolled the dice -- and am hoping that our Enclave will retain more of its value than past GM products. Right now, I'd say it's at least even odds that will happen.

ccaats,
I agree with you on the Traverse -- no way we'd settle for an Acadia or an Outlook after having seen the Enclave. And who's to say how the Traverse may be "de-contented" when it hits the market. Based upon the above article, I'd say that there will be a pretty significant difference between the content of the Enclave and the Traverse. And if you can afford an Enclave and love its styling (like all of us do), no way that you will settle for less.

Some examples even now: Enclave CXL has standard: perforated leather seats, HID's, Memory for Mirrors/Seats, 19" wheels w/Michelins. Even if you look at an Acadia (closest in content), you would have to pay $595 more for the HID's, pay extra for the 19" wheels -- and even then, you will NOT get the special Latitudes, and have to buy a certain version of the Acadia to get leather and to get the Memory function. I know this because my Dad was considering an Acadia -- and even after hours of looking at various combos -- I could not come close to matching the content of the BASE CXL versus any version of the Acadia -- PLUS, the Enclave had the 4yr (vs 3yr) warranty with an additional 14,000 mile limit. As it turned out, my Dad got a base CXL and is very happy with it. IMO, the Enclave is a great buy for the money, in whatever flavor (CX or CXL) that you decide is right. We had considered the MT SUOTY (CX9) but when put up against one another side-by-side, the CX9 just did not measure up -- content-wise, looks-wise, space-wise and price-wise. I keep wondering why the SUOTY, if it's so great, has to have so many sales incentives attached to it? It could only be that they are not selling well and they have built far too many compared to demand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually felt that the Enclave was under priced compared to a fully loaded Acadia.ssshh don't tell GM that ;) There is more engineering and content cost in the Enclave. When i priced out the options on the Acadia SLT-2 vs CXL the Enclave came out cheaper.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A great article, and the move makes a lot of sense.

They missed the worst example of over production though ... the PT Cruiser!
Chrysler actually built a second plant, at great cost, for the PT Cruiser because of the overwhelming initial demand. Soon dealer lots were full profits evaporated, and thr incentives began. Now, after only 8 years, the PT Cruiser will be no more.

I leased my Enclave because of a 65% lease residual after 30 months. It doesnt matter what happens with fuel prices or trade in values ... I know what my cost is. ;D

At introduction, Chrysler said the Pacifica was going to be "an aspirational vehicle" and they "did not anticipate rebates for the life of the vehicle". I bought one, and 2 months later they announced a $1,000 rebate. I wrote to Dieter Zetsche, then president of Chrysler US whom I had met at Detroit's Dream Cruise, and a few weeks later received a $1,000 check ... you CAN fight city hall! :blob: Now the Pacifica will join the PT Cruiser on the scrap heap.

·
Registered
329 Posts
.....and now the world actually makes sense again! :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts