EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

How many miles do you expect a typical modern car to deliver?

• <100,000 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >100,000 miles

• >150,000 miles

• >200,000 miles

• >250,000 miles

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I expect 200,000 without any major engine/ power train issues (if the car is well maintained). We get barely 100,000 these days if we're lucky. I want the 3800 engines back.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
200k should be no issue with regular routine maintenance. 300k is where you may start getting into potential mileage-related issues.

You didn't ask, but another factor is how long (as in how many years) do you expect a modern car to deliver? With the average age of a vehicle up around 10 years, I would start worrying about age at 15 years.

Does the vehicle sit outside in the weather or does it reside in a garage? Needless to say, it makes a difference in vehicle longevity expectations.

Where do you live? Is the car exposed to road salt in the winter for extended periods of time, without being washed, especially underneath and in the fender wells? Again, these are relevant questions for vehicle longevity expectations.

300k miles in 15 years equates to 20k miles a year, which is above the typical average of about 16k miles/year. My personal opinion is this is pretty easy to achieve for a person that performs proper maintenance, even for a car that lives outside year-round.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
At least 200K.

well-- ill tell you this- just spent 2 weeks driving the 2003 Chevy Trailblazer out in Mexico.
now clocking in at 176,000.
Ill tell you the engine felt strong on the steep mouting passes.
On the rocky dirt roads- It was making a noise. The sway bar endlinks.
We had grease put in via the zerks. No more noise.

But I was very pleased with it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
our daughter recently sold her 4WD Envoy with 214,000 miles. Never any engine or transmission issues, just the normal maintenance service. A neighbor bought it and loves it as a "go to worker" and drives it further every day than she did.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
BlueOval- glad to hear of the 214,000 miles on the Envoy.

The engine in our 2003- should be good for a while.
The rough mountain dirt/rock trails- for sure will take a toll on the suspension.
I plan on changing those items out when he returns.

·
Registered
556 Posts
BlueOval- glad to hear of the 214,000 miles on the Envoy.
The biggest reasons they got rid of it was they wanted a bigger vehicle to pull the camper (and she fell in love with an Irridium Yukon Denali with light gray interior). I know they only replaced all 4 struts once, but had several sets of brakes due to the stop and go city traffic. Proper and regular maintenance goes a long way, but as we know, there are certain issues with many brands and reoccurring problems exist.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
you know- before my dad drove it out there a few months ago- I replaced the factory rear brake pads with 173,000.
nice!

Though- when we returns I plan to chanve the struts and schocks.
Which I replaced around 100,000.

I figure new shocks and struts should help the suspension last longer.

But your 214,000 and my 176,000 with vehicle running great.....

just shows how wrong some folks were... that is I remember some folks on the Trailblazer forum planning on getting rid of theirs because they were nearing 100,000...........

·
Registered
795 Posts
A lot depends on where you live. The power train will take it, but in the snowy regions like michigan that use salt chloride on the winter roads, the body's are rusting out long before the power train. I agree with Regal GS, I sure wish the 3800 was still around. I would have much preferred it in my Traverse than the gas hog they call the 3.6l. I had many 3800's over the years and loved them all.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
wow- Im on a different page.

the 3800 I drove- was in the 2003 Impala.
Nice engine.

But I really like the 3.6.
Maybe because its mated to the 6 speed- and I like the MPGs I get in my Traverse.

I like the Trailblazers Inline 6- mated to a 4 speed.....

but the Trailblazer comes nowhere near the Traverses MPGs when driven similarly and loaded similarly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had two regals with 3.8's and a LaCrosse CXS with the 3.6. The regals both averaged 31 mpg on the highway. The '01 Regal GS I still own...210K and still going strong as ever, never any major engine work just changed spark plugs and the plastic coolant elbow blew out at 180K. The '06 LaCrosse currently is at 160K and has had three coil packs and one spark plug go out. It averages 26 mpg on the highway and doesn't have near the pop as the supercharged 3.8. I guess I'm not sure why they moved to the 3.6 without mating it to a six speed transmission on the early edition LaCrosse models

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
in my case it was the regular 3800- not the sportier one like mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Some folks should be answering <36,001.

This Buick can go 250,000 I'm sure, but it may need $9k to repair the a/c over that duration so most prolly would not be willing to spend it. I would just do without the ac. I will never let this car's repair record force me into buying a new car prematurely. We're big people, we have to sleep in the bed we've made. :sosad:

Edit: Answer, 250,000 miles or more. My Nissan is at 240. My cousin's M3 was at 23x,xxx. My sister in law changes her cars < 100k, and she's 15 yrs younger than I am. Old people have such a notion, not young people, so I thought.....

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking >150K with some minor repairs. 200K+ is bonus territory, in my estimate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Having grown up with five-digit odometers, it's taken me a while to embrace the concept that a domestic vehicle can last beyond 100K miles. I remember GM cars virtually self-destructing when the odometer turned over! However, I've now come to accept that 100K is the new 50K. I realize I'm probably just being tricked by the six-digit odometer.

But then again, I fully believe my Enclave can go 140 mph. ;D

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
upright said:
Having grown up with five-digit odometers, it's taken me a while to embrace the concept that a domestic vehicle can last beyond 100K miles. I remember GM

But then again, I fully believe my Enclave can go 140 mph. ;D
The tires are only s-rated, i.e. 112 mph. With such a large frontal area, it would be kinda foolish to drive the vehicle that fast, even if it weren't drag limited. 140+ in a SUV is best left to the Chrysler and German products.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most should make 200k without major effort. Many should approach 300k. Some should exceed 300k.

I got 244k out of a '97 GMC 5.7L and 4L60E without anything major. Sold it for $4k and still see it every once in awhile; I need to peek through the window and see what it is at now.
I've currently got 241k on our '05 Escape V6 without anything major.
I plan to keep the Buick past 200k.

My parents have an '06 Avalon with 270-something on it. It likes to randomly throw a camshaft code; something about a worn cam lobe. Still melts the tires from a stop. Then of course a typical diesel, '01 1-ton Dodge/Cummins with only 266k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
john 070 said:
The tires are only s-rated, i.e. 112 mph. With such a large frontal area, it would be kinda foolish to drive the vehicle that fast, even if it weren't drag limited. 140+ in a SUV is best left to the Chrysler and German products.
I believe in Buick! :happy:

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
suv's> 200k miles and 20 years [ getting 40k work for 20 years = 167 /month expense]
cars > 150k miles and 15 years [ getting 26 k work for 15 years = 145 /month expense]
minimum to make it worth the penny without any major repairs. If the vehicle is not holding upto this expectations in this advanced age, that brand is junk IMHO. Otherwise it is wise to lease.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts