EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, how much quieter is the Enclave than Arcade. Is it significantly different? I ask because my wife prefers the look of the Acadia interior and exterior over the Enclave.

Also, do you think the 09 Arcade would get traction control, as that seems to be a basic requirement.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Welcome SKM348 . :welcome: The Acadia is a bit more noisy than Enclave in my and most car mag opinions. However, are you coming from a diesel truck or a Cadillac?? Honestly, drive both! The suspension is a bit softer on Enclave also. VERY subjective stuff!

I though traction Control was standard on Acadia FWD and AWD? NO? It IS on Enclave.
I too, like both looks :thumb:

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Acadia comes standard w/ traction control now, so I see no reason to change this in '09. As for a comparison between Acadia and Enclave in cabin noise, I've driven both and own an Enclave, and the Enclave is significantly quieter than the Acadia. This is not to knock the Acadia, it's a fine vehicle, but the Enclave is really in another class. Test drive them both and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We currently have an 02 Yukon XL and want to downsize a little. I'm sure the Acadia is plenty quiet but the Enclave even quieter. I'm sure we won't be dissapointed in the Acadia if we go that way.
We're waiting for the 09's and the direct injection to get a little more power. The Yukon has nice power w/no shifting issues so we hope they'll be resolved/improved on the 09's. As for the fuel economy, the hwy mpg is be better than our XL but the city mpg of the Lambda's is actually worse than our XL. We are a little disappointed in that :-[th

We will definately drive both when they come out. One other complaint is the dual sunroof. One is enough, why add a fixed skylight? I guess it's subjective but we might actually skip the SR because of that, and save $1300 in the process. Maybe they'll correct that in the 09's but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Good luck SKM in making your decision and welcome to the forum. If you are coming from a big V8 powered Yukon, I would say you are making the right decision to wait until the '09s come out. With the 300+ HP DI engine and maybe another transmission update by then, you would have more chances of being satisfied with your purchase. Seems like many don't like the shifting characteristics of the 6 speed mated with a "slightly" underpowered V6(even though we are satisfied). You would probably feel the same way since you are used to a big V8 under the hood and 4 speed tranny under the pants. Just my opinion, and good luck in your search!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I met a man at a coffee shop a few weeks back. He came up to me and asked how I liked my Enclave. I told him--so far--so good!! He mentioned he had just ordered one--sight unseen-for his home in Florida. I told him originally--I had gone to order an Acadia as I really liked it but once I saw the Enclave, ordered that instead. His Dealer told him that the Enclave has 1,300lbs more insulation in the doors and surrounding area for blocking noise. No idea how true that is...I must say I find it very quiet after my GMC Envoy XL!

So it turns out--he ordered it for when his grandkids come down to visit to 'bombaround in'. He then stepped into his brand new Rolls Royce. Sigh--I offered to trade, he laughed. Wonder why? :eyebrow:

·
Registered
509 Posts
ccaats said:
With the 300+ HP DI engine and maybe another transmission update by then, you would have more chances of being satisfied with your purchase. Seems like many don't like the shifting characteristics of the 6 speed mated with a "slightly" underpowered V6(even though we are satisfied). You would probably feel the same way since you are used to a big V8 under the hood and 4 speed tranny under the pants. Just my opinion, and good luck in your search!
It's rated at 281 hp for single exhaust models (base Outlook & Traverse), and 286 for the rest of the dual exhaust Enclave, Acadia, etc. lines.

Still, even with hardly higher numbers, everyone is waiting to see what the real-world seat of the pants feel difference is or isn't.

We had an '04 Suburban and were planning on an Enclave, having driven several different GM Lambdas. Never an issue with the acceleration, just a lot smoother and quieter and more shifting. As for the quietness, I always thought the Outlook & Acadia were whisper quiet...but our first drive in an Enclave was shocking, as in how much different it actually was. Same suspension tuning and all, the lack of even more noise, the interior, etc. just give an experience that makes the GMC, Saturn, etc. feel lower-grade. Not hugely, but very noticeably.

That is, of course, unless you ask an Acadia or Outlook owner that also drove an Enclave...swearing they either noticed barely any difference in the quietness or none. Trust us here, there is a difference :thumb: An Acadia is still smoother and quieter than your Yukon XL, but the Enclave takes it up another notch.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I really like the looks of the Acadia and so I did a test drive on an AWD Acadia and it was nice, but ho hum to drive. Sort of "trucky" IMO. The salesman saw that I wasn't really turned on by the ride, so he proceeded to tell me about the Enclave, which I hadn't heard of at that point. He told me it was so quiet and one reason was the double window glass and extra soundproofing. He said it drove differently, smoother and that I if I drove one, I would definitely like it better than the Acadia. He didn't have on on the lot.

I found the Enclave at another dealer and drove it and could feel the difference in the drive and the quieteness was apparent. I was sold on the Enclave at that point.

However, I do think the rear end of the Acadia is more attractive than the Enclave. You will have to do your own comparison and see what suits you the best. Either way, they are both fine SUV's and whichever way you go you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IMO the Enclave is much quieter and smoother riding. My Mom has an 08 Acadia SLT2, I drove it to San Diego and back at Christmas, I have the Enclave. I purchased the Enclave because of the interior, the quietness and ride was a bonus. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts