EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 2010, I went back to a traditional agent.

I had a mishap with a BMW loaner car (thank goodness it was a loaner) where someone clipped my left fender, but it was deemed my fault since I had a stop sign, and the teenager did not (he was cited for speeding).

To my surprise, the agent with the hands, was able to finagle it so my premium went down, with an accident, over the lizard, with a perfect driving record? This is where I realized the internet wasn't all that, and a human might be able to do something. And then, when the accident came off in 37 mos., the price went down even more.

However, I see the premium increasing at 5+% every 6 mos, and the most current is the one that broke the camel's back.

I emailed the agent stating that I notice that the 1998 Nissan, is $45 less than the 2011 Enclave, per 6 mos., even though the Nissan has only comp (1998 vs. 2011 vehicle)? If I cancel the Nissan altogether, do I deduct the 6 mo. amount from the total?

The reason I asked it in that manner is I already know the answer is NO, but I wanted to know their technical term for the rip-off.

It is called a "fixed expense" component buried or hidden, I mean in insurance terms lumped into the bodily injury component, in the amount of $86. Meaning, in reality, the Nissan is $86 plus $45 = $131 less per 6 mos., not $45.

We all know insurance is a racket, but it never ends with how they bury costs and hope you don't catch them, so they can collect the residual.

One that I never forget from my wife's training, is life insurance.

When you purchase it, the insurance co. hopes you stay alive.

With an annuity, the life insurance co. hopes you die.

So that they can sell both products to you and base your life expectancy on actuarial calculations, they put a mortality risk expense component on both products. that is to protect themselves, in the event you die too soon on the former product, or live too long on the latter. I feel in a strange way, calling this expense the same on both products is unethical. But it really isn't personal, it's business.

I told the guy I must do my due diligence and check with Jake wearing the khakis. Two years ago he offered me a lower rate apples to apples, but I didn't feel like switching since it's not coterminus with the homeowner's.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Insurance is a racket, but I am staying with my agent for last 8 years because other companies never offered less. I am paying $950 for 3 cars with full coverage for 6 months.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
My husband was with USAA way before we married, 20 years since we married this coming May.

Haven't changed and haven't had any issues. Husband did have a claim due to his running into the back end of the car in front of him when he had the 350Z.

Our home and autos are covered. Have had other insurance companies call wanting to get our business. Once I tell them we have USAA they then tell me thanks, they can't beat it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Once I tell them we have USAA they then tell me thanks, they can't beat it.
USAA has great claim service too. Not a single issue with paying for my Traverse when one of their insured decided to drive the nose of her Camaro under my rear bumper.

I've been with the same Insurance company for over 30 years for both auto and home. Competitive rates and great claim service. Replaces two roofs without any fuss and one totaled car when my daughter was in college. I will continue to stay with Amica.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to have usaa and went to aig around 2001. My buddy had a bad experience with them ( Google will reveal lots of horror stories with all carriers). Was gonna consider them for a car loan but went with navy instead. Six of one....I just want to save $$$ at this point and will check Jake with khakis. I did love the Navy 5% cd in 2014. Went down to 3% last year but required direct deposit, no Ty. Nice people in the branches too.

Edit either this website is fake, or there are a lot of unhappy customers. Stories sound real...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/usaa_auto.html

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
When the 350Z had the front end damaged the hood was bent. The collision repair company said they could straighten it out. They could not, they informed USAA that it needed replaced and they said "no problem".

We also had USAA on my Nissan PU when I was involved in 2 accidents. Both times I was rear-ended and both times all I had to do was contact USAA and they handled everything through the other parties insurance. I picked out who would do the repair, a Nissan dealer, same one both times, no questions no problems.

Considering the thousands and thousands who do have insurance with USAA, the complaints....are kind of like those who come here, join just to complain and then "poof" gone.

I take those complaints with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Haven't changed Ins co. in over 20 years. State Farm has taken quite good care of us in times of need.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I changed only once, from Geico to Allstate, when I moved from NY to NJ about 18 years ago. Geico was just fine, but it wasn't available in NJ at that time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I called USAA summer of 15', for a quote that included, home, auto, and rider policy. She quoted me $200 dollars less than my current provider. I just wanted to see and had no intent of changing.

Our independent insurance agent is local and our premium has only gone up 6% in 8 years, with Liberty Mutual. We have had no claims or issues. I like having an agent in town.

We had State Farm for many years with working with 2 agents over that time, as relocated. They treated us nicely and premiums didn't go up that much over 30+ years.

I plan to shop in 2016, with American Family Insurance, that is Wisconsin based, having 2 agencies in our city. If they can save me $200+ a year with the same coverage, I'll change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been with Allstate since I started graduate school over 25 years ago. They've treated me well and the price increases, other than recently, on my home insurance, without claims, have been reasonable. Given wife's recent totalling of our Enclave #1, I expect our rates to go up. I'll have to chat with my agent (yes, I still use a human agent with a real office and everything!) to see what will happen at the next renewal, which is next month.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to admit, I like having an agent. Even in this recent scenario where I said I would shop around, he emailed me that the increase is standard, but that sometimes people should shop to find what's best for them. In other words, he's not going to lie and say if Jake with khakis is cheaper, somehow it's not adequate. I dunno having only had the one accident...but dealing with call centers is a pita. The accident was with the lizard co. Also, I had to argue for over 40 min to get the lizard to replace my BMW windshield with oem.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
john 070 said:
I have to admit, I like having an agent. Even in this recent scenario where I said I would shop around, he emailed me that the increase is standard, but that sometimes people should shop to find what's best for them. In other words, he's not going to lie and say if Jake with khakis is cheaper, somehow it's not adequate. I dunno having only had the one accident...but dealing with call centers is a pita. The accident was with the lizard co. Also, I had to argue for over 40 min to get the lizard to replace my BMW windshield with oem.
I agree. Geico's agentless service was just fine, too, but the assistance of an agent at Allstate has been helpful in a number of ways over the years. For example, when my Enclave was rear-ended in November 2013 for the 4th time, my agent suggested that we file claim directly with the other person's insurance company in order to avoid a claim showing up on file with my policy. Perhaps I was a bit naive, but I hadn't known that could be done when the other party was 100% at fault in the accident.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Around 2010, I went back to a traditional agent.

I had a mishap with a BMW loaner car (thank goodness it was a loaner) where someone clipped my left fender, but it was deemed my fault since I had a stop sign, and the teenager did not (he was cited for speeding).

To my surprise, the agent with the hands, was able to finagle it so my premium went down, with an accident, over the lizard, with a perfect driving record? This is where I realized the internet wasn't all that, and a human might be able to do something. And then, when the accident came off in 37 mos., the price went down even more.

However, I see the premium increasing at 5+% every 6 mos, and the most current is the one that broke the camel's back.

I emailed the agent stating that I notice that the 1998 Nissan, is $45 less than the 2011 Enclave, per 6 mos., even though the Nissan has only comp (1998 vs. 2011 vehicle)? If I cancel the Nissan altogether, do I deduct the 6 mo. amount from the total?

The reason I asked it in that manner is I already know the answer is NO, but I wanted to know their technical term for the rip-off.

It is called a "fixed expense" component buried or hidden, I mean in insurance terms lumped into the bodily injury component, in the amount of $86. Meaning, in reality, the Nissan is $86 plus $45 = $131 less per 6 mos., not $45.

We all know insurance is a racket, but it never ends with how they bury costs and hope you don't catch them, so they can collect the residual.

One that I never forget from my wife's training, is life insurance.

When you purchase it, the insurance co. hopes you stay alive.

With an annuity, the life insurance co. hopes you die.

So that they can sell both products to you and base your life expectancy on actuarial calculations, they put a mortality risk expense component on both products. that is to protect themselves, in the event you die too soon on the former product, or live too long on the latter. I feel in a strange way, calling this expense the same on both products is unethical. But it really isn't personal, it's business.

I told the guy I must do my due diligence and check with Jake wearing the khakis. Two years ago he offered me a lower rate apples to apples, but I didn't feel like switching since it's not coterminus with the homeowner's.
I use an independent agent. I have them shop my policy ever year with all of their carriers and if that doesn't work, I shop around myself. They so far manage to find me as good as I can find myself.

If you rent cars and have american express, you can sign up for a $24.99 policy that covers all damage to the rental car for up to 42 days. That has saved me a couple of times and is especially good for over seas rentals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It should check time to time for insurance cos. It is fixed when you buy and then you have to payment as per term and condition. You can also change cos when you want to add any value added service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts