EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case those of us that don't carry our manual in our car have to change a flat tire, here are some good tips:

1. Flashlight: Put one with the batteries in a ziplock into the back area. The rear cargo lights aren't sufficient.
2. Make a copy of the tire manual pages and put them into the rear section inside the battery ziplock.
3. Tools: the jack, tire tool and tire "bag" are located in the left hand panel in the back storage area.
4. Unsecuring the jack: the jack has a hand screw just above the center that you have to unscrew and remove. You don't have to undo the velcro.
5. The jack comes out by lifting diagonally up and then rotating toward the inside of the car. It's held in place by a piece of metal. Slide it back down once you free it until the front part is clear, then lift it out.
6. Releasing the spare. Inside the storage box behind the rear seats, there is a small cut out. Lift up the insulation and you will see a large nut. The tire tool attached to the jack will fit this nut and will lower the spare. Keep releasing slack until the tire is halfway out from under the bumper.
7. The center flange that holds the spare tire to the steel cable must be rotated in order to pass through the spare. You need slack to get this undone.
8. There is a plastic cover around the tire that comes free with one rubber gasket that holds the 2 parts of the cover together.
9. Don't forget to wind the steel cable back up to the carriage.
10. Jack location: There is a small triangle on the body that marks where you should position the jack. There are 2 notches in the jack that will fit around a vertical flange of steel behind the lower molding.
11. The tire will mount vertically in the back. There is a tie down cable that runs through the tire and into the top of the hatch. It's too hard to explain here, but if you are in a pinch, lay down the seats and use the plastic tire bag that is in the rear jack storage section to keep your car clean.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good Stuff...thanks ..!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Good advise but here is how I would change a tire

Call CAA / AAA

I actually don't recall the last time I had a flat or if I ever have in the thirty plus years I've been driving.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
Good advise but here is how I would change a tire

Call CAA / AAA

I actually don't recall the last time I had a flat or if I ever have in the thirty plus years I've been driving.
+1 - it's been about 20 years since I've had & changed out a flat... Don't intend to do it again...

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
new buick man said:
Isn't that what OnStar is for? Peace of mind.
That's my theory!! Tire changes, oil changes, wash, wax... I have more important things to do with my time, and the service folks are probably better at those tasks than I would be.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
rockyp said:
That's my theory!! Tire changes, oil changes, wash, wax... I have more important things to do with my time, and the service folks are probably better at those tasks than I would be.
Yup - changing a flat was never any fun, even when the spare was easily accessible... Also agree with the other stuff... Normally take 'er through wash when dirty & have it detailed once or twice a year...

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
jgATL, thanks for the information. :thumb: However, given that I have ONStar, I would prefer to let the tech get his hands dirty rather than mine. In a pinch, it is a good set of directions to have if I would need to change a flat by myself. ;)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I was being nosy and looking around at different really old posts and thought what the heck. This subject is something that should be brought back into the light. Granted the chances are of my changing my own tire are rather slim yet there may be some out there who may like to get a perspective of how another member handled it.

Enjoy! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
since this thread was resurrected...
I made a HOW TO over on the Traverse forum- a while back..
I never posted it here- cause well- I know many of you guys will call AAA....
But it never hurts to know... and who know-- once day you may be in a HURRY- and cant wait the 30 min to several hrs that a tow truck can get to you- depending on where youre at.....
the procedures should be pretty much the same. (note I used my spare tire to simulate a full size spare in the rear compartment)...

I make it a habit of lowering my spare at least once a year.
This should especially be done by the people who live in the rustbelt.
The manual has a procedure on HOW to lower your spare if youre unable to get it down (so this means jammed or rusted)-
this will help you KNOW how to lower your spare- before you need it. (learning how to lower your spare on the side of the highway is not the place to learn). ALso gives you a chance to air it up and clean up the tire. This will also allow you to get the mechanism moving and not rust in place.
Im in California- so I didnt have to oil up the cable... but rust belters should.
Also-- im sure many of you have not seen HOW to attach your FLAT tire.. YOU CANT attach it to the bottom.
so here are a few pics- but I recommend you all do this.

Tire jack in storage compartment.

Items removed from car. Whats that plastic bag? That is a tire storage bag- Put the dirty tire in there... im pretty sure thats what that is. Some people may have gloves in there too.

the tire in stowed mode. Take note how its put up. The valve stem should be towards the rear of the car-- to make it easy to air up.

Raise the storage compartment door- and find the cut out. place the jack wrench here and turn counterclockwise. I think it was about 23-25 whole turns to get the tire to touch the ground.

At this point youll want to loosen the lug nuts and also place the jack in the correct location- the trim actually has a small arrow that indicates where to place. I wont include pics on doing this...

the top portion of the mechanism that holds the tire.

once the tire is down- note the small rocks and debris that accumulates there. For you in the rust belt... this may end up being salty debris. Not sure I want salty debris sitting in a location too long.

you have to lift the tire some- and have enough slack in the cable to be able to move the metal piece at an angle to be able to get it thru the hole.

Once the tire is released. you pull on the rubber strap to release the spare tire heat shield.

Personally I always clean the tires when I have them down.

A side by side comparison of the full size and spare.

Inside the plastic bag- is a metal cable. Why?
Well- the full size spare SHOULD NOT be attached to the bottom of the vehicle- as per the manual.
It has to be carried INSIDE. but a large full size spare inside the vehicle is dangerous. So GM provides a cable to tie down the tire
Last thing you want is a full size tire- in the passenger compartment in a collision or rollover.

the cable is inserted thru the stricker/locking tab of the hatch

Since I didnt have the full size spare off-- I used the doughtnut as an examble. But on the full size- youre supposed to remove the center CHEVY cap so you can run the cable thru the tire. You then attach the end of the cable to the tailgate hatchs hinges.

Just imagine a much larger full size spare in this location. The plastic shield is placed in the shown location as per the manual.

to put away the spare tire- replace the shield- and run the cable and metal piece thru the center hole.
I had pictures of how the tire was BEFORE I lowered it... so I knew how to put it back.
But remember- valve stem down- and towards the rear to make it easier to air up. Its supposed to be at 60 PSI.
the heat shield has the words THIS SIDE UP on it.
Crank it clockwise- you cant overtighten- its recommended you hear it click 2 times.
as reference the tire in the UP position

the mechanism that some of you should lube

and a before and after of the spare- excuse the German Shepherd dog hair that appears on the rim.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
rbarrios :thumb:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had a flat on the interstate in the Acadia the other day (glad I had the TPMS system, so I knew it was going down before it went completely flat and shredded since they are fairly new tires). It had a screw in it that must have slung out and high speed. I just changed it myself, but now I wonder....could I have called OnStar and had them send someone? Is the roadside assistance thru OnStar free if you are a subscriber? Guess I better check, I could have saved myself the trouble.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I think Buick offers roadside assistance for a longer period than Chevy....

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
This process is way too many steps. I give you tons of credit for doing this just for kicks, and to know how, but I've read the manual and gave up half way thru the description, just an odd way for the whole process, including that crazy cable and putting te tire on that. Why not just keep a blanket in the cargo area and lay that down and put the tire down flat in the cargo area? Maybe it's in case you are on a trip and there's no room? Anyway, I bet 1 in 10,000 people actually will have to do this, and even fewer who try it just to do it. Again, lots of kudos to rbarrios for doing this to show us all, it's entertaining...but I really hope I never have to...with TPMS, Onstar, cell phones, etc....one should not have to change a tire in these vehicles. (heck, not all the Lambdas have a spare....we have one because of the tow package, but some don't even have one..it's an option...that should tell you something) The last time I changed a tire on any vehicle was around 1999. Have not had to since then.

Oh, and one more thing....you go thru all these steps and still can't get the darn lug nuts off the vehicle because of the darn impact wrenches that are used.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rbarrios:

Thank you for posting. Excellent info and pics!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I love it no matter what information you need or what you are attempting to do to your Enclave or other Lambda rbarrios always has some totally awesome photos! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
kidsenclave said:
that crazy cable and putting te tire on that. Why not just keep a blanket in the cargo area and lay that down and put the tire down flat in the cargo area? Maybe it's in case you are on a trip and there's no room?
the cable is a safety measure.
These tires are HEAVY!.
Sure you can put it in the back on top of a blanket or something...
But GM has provided the cable for safety.
If by any chance- you have that heavy tire- and youre in a rollover, a front end collision or even a panic stop--- that tire may fly thru the cabin- and whack everyrone in the head...
Im pretty sure it can smash skulls- break necks etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts