EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
new buick man said:
Push the blue button and wait! That's what it's for.
Really?

Example.. recently drove from LA to FL. Drove thru Texas- LONG stretches of nothing.
If you got a flat- in the middle of nowhere- and they said we'll get out to you-- in 3 hrs.
would you wait 3 hrs or change it yourself?
I know id say no thanks. and would be out there changing the tire....
actually come to think of it-- if Id gotten a flat on my trip- id pull over and start changing-- I wouldnt even call.
Unless there was something that impeded a change.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
rbarrios said:
Really?

Example.. recently drove from LA to FL. Drove thru Texas- LONG stretches of nothing.
If you got a flat- in the middle of nowhere- and they said we'll get out to you-- in 3 hrs.
would you wait 3 hrs or change it yourself?
I know id say no thanks. and would be out there changing the tire....
actually come to think of it-- if Id gotten a flat on my trip- id pull over and start changing-- I wouldnt even call.
Unless there was something that impeded a change.
This is very true, and also shows how different places we live dictate what we do. What's good for me, might not be good for you and vice versa.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks for the great pics.....just lowered my spare, cleaned, oiled the lifting mechanism and a couple of comments. 1. Keep a small (2 ft) fluffy throw rug in the carry compartment. Saved my knees. 2. I had all kinds of trouble trying to open the cutout so I lifted the entire carrying compartment. I then used a knife to lift up the cutout flap and pushed the cutout thru the carrying case opening. (maybe bad word choices) Don’t need any surprises in the middle of nowhere. Now the cutout flap is sticking up thru the compartment for easy access to the lowering nut. 3. Besides keeping the common sense items in the carrying bin (first aid kit, flash light, extra batteries etc…keep an unopened package of “moist wipes”. Why unopened? So they don’t dry out. I found out the hard way when I put an opened pack in the garage and found them dry as a bone when needed.

Also…I noticed in the pics that the spare had a steel wheel. Interesting my 2008 CXL has a machined aluminum wheel. No big deal.

I would love to hear what other items members keep in the carrying compartment for emergencies?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures.. they are very helpful..! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Repeating my post from thread, LDT Tour 2011, since it applies to this thread:

:facepalm: Funny story, while on the way to meet everyone (forum members in town for tomorrow's Delta Plant Tour) for dinner, we had a flat tire. Called Onstar and within 40 minutes, we were on our way. The tire pressure monitor did it's job, came on and said "check right front tire pressure", so I clicked over to the pressure monitor numbers, and when I noticed it dropping pressure about 1 pound per second, I thought I better stop, and it was flat, almost all the way and hissing air out as we sat there. (like I said, it was the right front tire...yeah, not the one you would want, wish it had been one of the back...but whatever). Anyway, got to the restaurant a few minutes late, and made for good dinner conversation. Everyone had a great time at dinner, and it was nice to put a face to the names.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
Good advise but here is how I would change a tire

Call CAA / AAA

I actually don't recall the last time I had a flat or if I ever have in the thirty plus years I've been driving.
Old thread but this is the new way of doing things. It was funny there was a Sopranos episode which touched it, "In our house, we change our own tires."

I dunno but we've tested AAA--2 1/2 hr. response time in our area which was the 5th largest city in the USA. If it's a busy expressway, DOT will send someone in less than 20 min. because they are on patrol. But to rely on someone else for something as simple as a tire, imho that's not a very good way.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Or just call Onstar. We used them for our flat this summer and are very impressed with the service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello peeps!

anybody else curious or figured out why the spare is way smaller than the main tires. wouldn't your car start dragging muffler or rear bumper. spare seems so small and there is definitely enough space in the spare spot

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
No it will not drag muffler.
Also- there IS NOT enough space for a full size spare in that location.
Take note of the exhaust pipes.

If you have an AWD model.... when the system detects the spare is being used-- it disables AWD.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts