EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks to this thread, and rbarrios post from page 1, I was able to do a full brake bleed this weekend. I used 'off the shelf' Dot 3 fluid from our local parts store up here in Canada (Canadian Tire). I picked up 2 bottles at 946mL each. I sucked out approx 500mL (half of a water bottle) out of the reservoir. That fluid was very dark, and green in color. The new fluid was amber in color, like beer or honey. I thought it was supposed to be clear, but it is what it is. After completion, I used 1 full bottle, and a half bottle. I will likely suck more out of the reservoir later in the summer, and use up whats left of the half bottle, so it doesn't go to waste.

I cracked open all 4 bleeder valves while doing our yearly winter/summer tire switch-over, and had my son pump the brakes while I bled into another bottle.

I had 2 things come up: 1: after completion, I noticed that the color in the reservoir STILL looked dark. This is noticed when looking through the side of the reservoir. Its hard to see down the neck as its small, but it still looks dark?! I don't know if this is because of dirt down in the reservoir or if I should have sucked out more (all of it to get the dirty stuff out??).

2: One of my bleeders was VERY difficult to turn. It did bleed, but I was not comfortable with how it was turning, and it felt very stiff. If I were to remove the bleeder (good idea? or just leave it alone), would I need to bleed the entire system (all 4 wheels) again, or just the one that I worked on?

41 - 41 of 41 Posts