EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the same problem as I have? Everytime I get in the car between errands, I smell this musty odor from the AC. It's the old water smell. It's the same smell you get from ACs of old cars but it shouldn't be on a vehicle like this. I don't think switching between circulation and fresh will do the trick. We shouldn't have to turn the AC off before we get out of the car. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I know what you're talking about, but I don't get that smell in my Enclave, though I've smelled it in older cars. Did you try turning off recirculation? That should bring fresh air into the system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After you turn your A/C off turn the temp dial to hot and turn the fan speed on high and let it run for a minute to dry the system out, also the vehicle must be running at the time. This will help stop mold from growing on the fins on the small heater core.
Take it to the dealer and have them check it out as a vehicle so new should not create the smell you are getting. Are you getting a puddle of water under the vehicle? on a humid day you should. If not your drain line from the A/C might be plugged. Just a thought..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out and see what happens in the next few days. If doesn't change, I'll have the shop take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It's a water build up, most likely in evaporator/collector box of A/C unit ,near firewall.
Run engine 15 minutes w/a/C on, in any speed/position. Driving is best.

Then park where you can get underneath a bit to look. Wait for water condensation to puddle under front end (usually 2-5 minutes max!) after eng is off.

Trace source, from either under car ,or under hood near firewall, w/ flashlite. CAUTION! Everything, in and under, will be HOT! Gloves are a must!

Look for a 1/2 to 3/4 inch rubber, possibly FLAT looking hose, hanging straight down. Water is dripping from here! Poke anything you see looking like this w/ a stick or other non-metallic item. Water should surge out.
Attempt to free any pinch or blockage in this hose.

I've done this to a few GM I've owned , but am not positive where it is on this model. Follow the drips. GL!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's dripping, then isn't it doing what it's suppose to? Or should it be quicker or more water than what it's doing now?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes, it's supposed to, but we're assuming a partial blockage and a resultant water accumulation in the box, causing the odor! Give a try! It's happened to me on Chrysler's, GM's, and others. And that's when it can leak onto the carpet or elsewhere, from overflowing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FlavaClav said:
Does anyone have the same problem as I have? Everytime I get in the car between errands, I smell this musty odor from the AC. It's the old water smell. It's the same smell you get from ACs of old cars but it shouldn't be on a vehicle like this. I don't think switching between circulation and fresh will do the trick. We shouldn't have to turn the AC off before we get out of the car. Anyone have any suggestions?
I noticed this same smell after some very humid weather in NY last week and my wifes short trips in the Enclave. The next day I took the Enclave to one of my appointments some 250 miles away. No smell at all. I think this happens with short trips on very hot/humid days. I had the same issue with my wife's ( former ) Cadillac SRX.

I will note that driving the Enclave on a 500 mile day reminded me what a fantastic car this is. It is hard to belive that General Motors can not dig out of their financial problems by just selling these ( along with the GMC, Chevy and Saturn versions) around the globe.

GM needs some positive :thumb: press from the left wing ultra liberal media. Notice how there is no bad press about Toyotas sales declining by more then GM's? The press only reports the bad news on American car companies, it is a **** shame.. I know, I am off subject but as a GM fan this was a bad week....

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm with you on this one. Nothing in the press about the Toyota Corolla needing more frequent oil changes than the manual states, as Sludge is building up in the tiny oil hole that feeds the VVT solenoid and causing engine damage!

And nothing about how Fire/ Rescue crews have been hurt when the On/Off button to start /stop the Toyota Prius makes it hard to shut off the engine after a crash, as opposed to a true ignition switch. Some Prius vehicles have begun to crush workers as the Electric drive is silently, still ON, even after the button is pushed! Rescuers are advised to open the trunk and cut the electric drive batteries terminals immediately upon arrival, to avoid this. In other hybrid cars, they'll cut the regular battery to avoid air bag deploys while rescuing, but the Ignition switch just being turned Off usually keeps the car from accelerating while passengers are extricated. Nissan has similar switches on dash, with the hybrids.

No mention anywhere in the media of this danger. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Ford, who's struggling to stay alive, has posted signs in their Michigan employee parking lots, to park all Import cars in the rear lots, at their plants, while Ford brand cars are offered parking in up front lots! Amazes me when workers squeal about lay-offs, when equally affordable, high quality products that their co. manufactures, are routinely skipped over at purchase time, in favor of the Import competition? But they want the American unions to pay them more $$. How's that working out......... Are we that dumb. Or just too self-centered & disloyal now-a-days??

Sorry to digress. Guess the "smell" subject just started me thinking ::)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
FlavaClav said:
Okay I know what gives with me digging up these old posts.

YET this one is rather interesting because the musty smell thinking back I had that same smell on occasion in the Outlook. That was at least a year before the water leak showed up on the headliner.

Guess I had a water leak for much longer than I thought because this smell would be exactly that, water which has leaked into the vehicle and the vehicle sits in the hot humid summer sun.

So if you have this in your vehicles think...water leak even if you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sailfish said:
Okay I know what gives with me digging up these old posts.

YET this one is rather interesting because the musty smell thinking back I had that same smell on occasion in the Outlook. That was at least a year before the water leak showed up on the headliner.

Guess I had a water leak for much longer than I thought because this smell would be exactly that, water which has leaked into the vehicle and the vehicle sits in the hot humid summer sun.

So if you have this in your vehicles think...water leak even if you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
HA!. . . I KNEW it was YOU who de-archived this thread!

Nice to know that someone besides me uses the search engine on this forum. :)

. . Falcon

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
FalconEddy said:
HA!. . . I KNEW it was YOU who de-archived this thread!

Nice to know that someone besides me uses the search engine on this forum. :)

. . Falcon

LOL hey why not I mean there is a wealth of information just languishing in the archives which should be dusted off and brought out again to be discussed.

;D ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts