EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old spilled milk over my gear shift - 2008 Buick Enclave. No more drinking in the car for them. I cleaned the outside well, but now it is very difficult to shift. It sounds like I'm doing more damage every time I put it into drive. It's an 08 so it's way past warranty, so I'd like to see if I can clean it myself.

But how do I remove the gear shift panel to clean in there? Do I just try to pry off the chrome trim that surrounds it? I don't want to remove something that I shouldn't be removing and cause more damage.

And what would I clean it with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Binding or Noisy Shifter

Some owners of an Acadia, Enclave, Outlook or Traverse may comment on an intermittent squeak noise coming from inside of the automatic transmission control assembly or center console or the shifter is difficult to operate. Diagnosis may reveal a sticky residue on the external exposed surfaces of the automatic transmission control.

This condition may be caused by a sticky residue from a beverage spill on the shifter rooster comb, detent spring, or other components internal to the transmission control assembly (fig. 4 and 5).

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

AÂ Detent

BÂ Rooster comb

Don't replace the transmission control assembly.

Clean the transmission control inner and outer surfaces with Leather, Vinyl, and Plastic Cleaner (p/n 88861401 -- 24 Oz. Spray Bottle or 88861405 -- 8 Oz. Spray Bottle.Â

TIPS:

1. May need to depress the detent spring to clean it

2. May need a small brush

3. Have a damp clean cloth available.

4. Use a blow gun to air dry

5. Perform electrical check after cleaning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! the pic helps, but it doesn't include "how" to get to that gear shift component. i.e. which trim pieces I need to remove. The other post helped a lot, and I was encourage when i saw that you can just remove the side panel and access the gear shift component from the side. However, when I went to do it, the Enclave doesn't have that whole side panel, it's mostly carpet with just a small piece of trim that I couldn't remove. :( Using the other pics though I was able to get the top of the trim off and spray some cleaner in there, which did help, just not enough to get it back to "working normal". Will continue trying, may wait until my husband comes home so I don't do a ton of damage. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
larab said:
Thanks! the pic helps, but it doesn't include "how" to get to that gear shift component. i.e. which trim pieces I need to remove. The other post helped a lot, and I was encourage when i saw that you can just remove the side panel and access the gear shift component from the side. However, when I went to do it, the Enclave doesn't have that whole side panel, it's mostly carpet with just a small piece of trim that I couldn't remove. :( Using the other pics though I was able to get the top of the trim off and spray some cleaner in there, which did help, just not enough to get it back to "working normal". Will continue trying, may wait until my husband comes home so I don't do a ton of damage. :)

The above picture, from the thread rbarriod mentioned, is what you need to do. Put some muscle into it!

You might want to move your seat back to get more room. You might want to do the passenger side also so you can spray and clean both sides that got gunked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spilled coffee on the shifter. Cannot find pictures or utube on how to remove rim cover. Any help on removal pics would be great

1 - 7 of 7 Posts