1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Items you will need.

Serpentine Belt- I bought an ACDELCO Part # 6K938- $24.57
½ inch ratchet.

(note I have 2 in the pic). Make sure the one you have is a narrow head. From the pic below- you can see one of my ratchets is some cheapy brand that is bigger. This one will NOT fit in the area between the tensioner and the vehicle body.

The 3rd item is a paint can lid remover. It actually does a great job of removing the push pins. (Home depot gives these away).

Flashlight.

3 ton jack.

Jackstand.

To change the belt-

Block rear drivers side wheel.
Raise and place a jackstand on the front passenger side of car.
Remove the wheel.

Once you have access to the wheel well- remove the 2 push pins from the splash guard. (you can use a small screwdriver—but you may damage the pins)
This will allow you to fold back the bottom part of splash shield- giving you a straight view of the side if the engine.

You now have access to the belt and pulleys.

Use the flashlight and take a look at the routing of the belt- it will make it easier when you put it back on.

Place the ratchet in the tensioner and move it to give the belt slack-
Using your other hand- pull the belt off any of the pulleys. Obviously the one you can get to the easiest is the best.
The belt can now be removed.
Note that youll have to slightly bend the belt where it mounts on the tensioners pulley and the engine block.
With the belt off--- take some time to inspect the water pump area for signs of leakage.

To put on the belt- simply reverse the process.
You may want to print out the image below of the engine block--- or use the belt routing diagram in the owners manual and have it next to you while you re route the belt.

I found it easier to route the belt on all the pulleys- except the biggest one on the bottom.
When you apply force to the tensioner (I was laying on my back)--- you can use your other hand to route the belt onto the last pulley.

Once the pulley was back on and I visually followed the belt bath—I felt confident it was back on…- I cleared tools from the wheel well area and started the car- this to make sure the belt was routed correctly and to have it seat on the pulley grooves. Turn off engine.

I then put the splash shield flap back on. Wheel back on and lowered the vehicle.

The owners manual says----

First Engine Oil Change After
150,000 Miles
. Engine accessory drive belt
inspection for fraying, excessive
cracks, or obvious damage and
replacement, if needed.

So its up to you if you want to wait till 150,000.

My Traverse is now 5 yrs old. 84,000 miles…
I replaced it now. I wont have to worry about it again.

Time to do this?
Probably 1 hr with gathering stuff and taking pics etc.
I did not have directions. Figured it out by looking.

With directions- and knowing which tools are needed..
I could do it in about 20 min total. Including taking wheels off- and torqueing them back up.

I had the hood opened- and looked from above- you cant see much looking down.
It seems the wheel well is the better option.

Does the wheel need to come off?
Maybe not? You may be able to turn it- and have access to that area.
But with the wheel off- I was able to lay down comfortably and apply force to the ratchet.
If its on a lift—maybe that’s where the wheel can stay on?

The belt looked OK. Few small cracks. Ive seen much worse.

The old and new.

·
Registered
131 Posts
THANKS SO MUCH for this great procedure. I print of every procedure that folks write for DIY work on this vehicle. Having grown up as a teenager where friends were pulling carburetors and intake manifolds to add 4 barrels, and souping up engines in general - I still like the challenge of working on my cars. These newer cars are more difficult as engine compartments are so crammed full of "stuff" - makes work hard at times. On the other hand, with all of the sensors today - the computer pretty much tells you what's wrong. A "google search" almost always tells you what to do. GOOD STUFF! Kids today have their heads buried in their I-PADS and the like, and know little about what's under the hood.
On my previous car, a 2002 Toyota Avalon, I posted a procedure on how to remove, check, and replace the three Oxygen Sensors on this vehicle. Last time I looked - 45k folks had reviewed the procedure!!! Shows the interest in this stuff.

Thanks again.....

Enclavedude.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Has anyone replaced the Idler Pulley and Belt Tensioner? I had the Serpentine Belt replaced at 143k miles but never thought about the other 2 components.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont think Ive seen post about these being replaced.

oh wait-- I think I remember 1 person trying to replace the tensioner--- and something was in the way...

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Again, GREAT write up rbarrios! ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??? you have to remove the FR tire, wheel well lining and change it thru that minuscule opening?? ppfftt..... that is stoopid! :eek:hno: I got this to look forward to tomorrow, great.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
dzs3fz said:
Has anyone replaced the Idler Pulley and Belt Tensioner? I had the Serpentine Belt replaced at 143k miles but never thought about the other 2 components.
I know that I had them replaced a bunch of months ago on one of my cars. I'm pretty sure that it was my Tribeca, however, and not my Enclave. If I get a chance, I'll look up the service records to verify my statement.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the followup.

Just 2 days ago- was wondering if the pics helped anyone change theirs. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
cfedor said:
Again, GREAT write up rbarrios! ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??? you have to remove the FR tire, wheel well lining and change it thru that minuscule opening?? ppfftt..... that is stoopid! :eek:hno: I got this to look forward to tomorrow, great.
Well, the above post was from April 1st, and I still haven't been able to change the belt...... :banghead:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts