EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a 2010 Buick Enclave CXL AWD that got side swiped. I know the door will have to be replaced as well as the tie rod, but what about the frame that the door hinges are connect to? It look bent inward (2nd picture) I think I can pull it out somehow, I just don't quite know where to start. Is it best to take it to a body shop? Or is this something I can do myself? I'd rather save money, but I want it done right.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry that happened. It looks well beyond a quick fix at home unless you have body repair experience.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the $4k-$5k range

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
I was going to say 4-6k. New door, fixing the pillar, lots of paint blending. It will add up fast. Plus it’s not torn down yet. Once you start peeling that onion I bet you find more problems.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry this happened to you, thats a repair that's nastier than it looks. Quite often, the door never closes or feels quite "right" after the repair and it never gets resolved. Your vehicle needs a frame pull and squaring, windshield removal before the pull, plus a lot more including what discovered after teardown as mentioned in another comment. However, from the photo, I think the "A" pillar needs replacement. Body repairs are $$. Start shopping, your car is totalled.

Even if the 'A pillar can be fixed, my guess is the repars would be in the $8k range give or take. Not sure what the miles are on your E but if its average for a 2010 around 120k it has a market value of about $10k. Insurance companies total out around 75% value (used to be wholesale value) but it varies. MIght be a blessing, I wish my 2011 had been totalled. :) . It was a relatively tough sell and the price I got 2 years ago for such a nice 44k mile vehicle was disappointing.

Good luck and please report back with the estimate and outcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry this happened to you, thats a repair that's nastier than it looks. Quite often, the door never closes or feels quite "right" after the repair and it never gets resolved. Your vehicle needs a frame pull and squaring, windshield removal before the pull, plus a lot more including what discovered after teardown as mentioned in another comment. However, from the photo, I think the "A" pillar needs replacement. Body repairs are $$. Start shopping, your car is totalled.

Even if the 'A pillar can be fixed, my guess is the repars would be in the $8k range give or take. Not sure what the miles are on your E but if its average for a 2010 around 120k it has a market value of about $10k. Insurance companies total out around 75% value (used to be wholesale value) but it varies. MIght be a blessing, I wish my 2011 had been totalled. :) . It was a relatively tough sell and the price I got 2 years ago for such a nice 44k mile vehicle was disappointing.

Good luck and please report back with the estimate and outcome.
Well, I think I am going to try to do this myself. The vehicle has just under 80,000 and is in amazing shape otherwise. I will need two new doors ($300-600 each), strut ($200-300), inner tie rod ($40-60), alignment ($70-100), frame pulled and painted ($200-500). So, if I do it myself, it would come to around $1110-2160 + around 20 hours of work. I will keep this forum posted

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
Let us know how that goes. Also, who quoted you for pulling and straightening that mess AND painting for just 200 to 500? Reputable body shops won't pull and paint a fender dent for that kind of money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let us know how that goes. Also, who quoted you for pulling and straightening that mess AND painting for just 200 to 500? Reputable body shops won't pull and paint a fender dent for that kind of money.
Nobody, I am thinking about pulling and/or replacing the a pillar (or at least part of it).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just to give you an idea, an ebike hit my fender on my 2011..... fender was shot, also dented the hood, scraped the bumper and chipped the paint on the door.... I'm thinking "fender and hood", no big deal.... $6000 later (insurance) its fixed, which included used parts where possible (hood and fender). No pulling, labour alone was $3500. (this is all CDN$$ of course, but thats still about $4500 USD)
You get into frame pulling (yes, the A-pillar is considered structural) and 2 doors and a fender, painting and blending..... To be honest, my insurance would have written off what happened to yours (if cost of repairs plus salvage value is greater than the retail value, its a write off)
I was looking at your pics, thinking "easy fender and door replacement" until I saw the A pillar.... you will get crazy wind noise if thats not done right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts