EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
If all 3 chains have been replaced twice, this is a possible indictment that the chains may still be unable to handle the operating environment. Does anyone know of any other cases of repeat chain failures?
I think this is the first we have heard about the chains having to be replaced a second time. It also seems odd that they need replacing within 16000 miles. I am leaning towards a mechanical problem caused by incorrect installation rather than another set of bad chains. Just my thoughts, and hopefully that's what it is.

I can just imagine the uproar from owner's if their repaired chains have to be done again, especially in such a short amount of miles.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Based on the sheer lack of evidence of other repeat chain failures, I am leaning toward the same theory for the reason for the second chain set failure in this case. I hope that we are correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 2009 Enclave back after having the timing belts changed. CEL came on at about 26,950 miles. When light first came on I didn't notice it riding different but about a day later it started riding rough and I took it to the dealer. After they examined it he said the timing belts need replaced - said they have been doing ALOT of timing belt replacements. Also, got me a new DVD/navigation system put in while I was there since it never worked right since I bought it. So now I have a good ride and a working DVD player. Hope this chain lasts longer than 27,000 miles!!!

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
jbucking2001 said:
I just got my 2009 Enclave back after having the timing belts changed. CEL came on at about 26,950 miles. When light first came on I didn't notice it riding different but about a day later it started riding rough and I took it to the dealer. After they examined it he said the timing belts need replaced - said they have been doing ALOT of timing belt replacements. Also, got me a new DVD/navigation system put in while I was there since it never worked right since I bought it. So now I have a good ride and a working DVD player. Hope this chain lasts longer than 27,000 miles!!!
:welcome: Had you already had the OLM/ECM updated before this happened?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
jbucking2001 said:
Would you be willing to share your invoice with us for verification of new part numbers for those chain sets? You can block off name, address, etc,. but those new part numbers are critical to what we're trying to pin down for actual replacement chain set part numbers.

Thanks.

FalconEddy

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
jbucking2001 said:

jbucking2001,
That is great to hear that you have had these issues taken care of! If you ever have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not read all of these posts, so forgive me if I have missed something, just thought I would share my experience with my 09 Enclave. Timing chain went at 119K. GM covered this repair under a special extended warrantee for this year Enclave up to 120K. That was in Dec 2015. 24K miles and 15 months later..... guess what...... needs replacing again.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
mlm1073 said:
I have not read all of these posts, so forgive me if I have missed something, just thought I would share my experience with my 09 Enclave. Timing chain went at 119K. GM covered this repair under a special extended warrantee for this year Enclave up to 120K. That was in Dec 2015. 24K miles and 15 months later..... guess what...... needs replacing again.
Sorry to hear. What is it going to cost you?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
mlm1073 said:
wow, 24,000 miles and the replacements go bad--- wonder what shortcut they took in the 1st repair?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
maybe they didnt replace those things on the sides- the plastic ones-- guides?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Total cost I am told is $2400, GM stepped up to cover $1400 and I am to cover $1000. I have contacted Consumer Affairs and opened a case with them hoping that I can get more covered by them. The extra thousand is nothing to this corporation but to me, a single mother of 3, its pretty devistating. Especially after an $1100 repair bill on Monday for what they "thought" was the problem.
I am told it was the P008 code again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys with the money that buy these cars new and get your timing chains replaced a couple times under warrantee have to understand that these vehicles go on in the used car market. Generally a 100000 mile used car is still a good car. As much as I would like to own one of these vehicles, I just cant do it. There is too much easily found discussion online about early timing chain failures. The need of the repair coupled with the difficulty and cost of the job compared to the cost of the vehicle as a used car is unacceptable. The need of twice as frequent oil changed is a sign of bad design. I don't care why it's happening. Until I see a redesign that, with no doubt, address the problem. Until I see most of these cars with these engines going over 200000 miles without a timing chain failure. I can't own one. It is as much the difficulty of the repair as it is the actual failure. I'm a mostly loyal GM driver but I expect better. If it's an $1800 repair better to spent $1800 more on something else.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is the timing chain replacement at 40K a normal service interval. Oil change at 3K normal? Whay about the % oil change light?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can tell all of you having done honestly near 100 timing chains on the 3.0L and 3.6L that every single one of these vehicles will need one and it's only a matter of time. The earliest I've done the 3.6 was at 50,000 on a 2009 Cadillac CTS. The longest I've seen these go was 125,000 on a 2010 SRX. I'm about to dismantle this 2011 Enclave that didn't just stretch belt but broke links to the point the chain is laying in front cover at 81,000. This car is driven by a woman in her late 60's. It's only a matter of time and your lucky if it makes noise and gives you time to DRIVE to a shop. Most don't.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts