EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a car. My Bonneville has a number of small issues that together will most likely cost more to fix than I care to spend. I've been looking for at least 8 months. There are a lot of cars I really like purely from a looks standpoint, but then when it comes to the nitty gritty it's become so hard to decide. The internet has made it way too easy to find common problems on cars, and for me that sucks. I planned to try out a boat load of cars, but since I've basically ruled so many of them out, I haven't wanted to bother trying them out.

20011-12 Buick LaCrosse-Tested a 2011 so far. Probably the choice right now. Haven't really found any major issues to speak of other than maybe odd high rpm shifting in the '12 version. Trunk space is rather lacking for a car this size though. And the rear visibility pretty much stinks.

2012-13 Ford Taurus-Just drove a 2013 yesterday. Drove similarly to the LaCrosse. Same crappy rear view. More of a sporty look versus the refined look of the LaCrosse. Downside is the lesser year/mileage for the B2B warranty compared to the Buick and there are hardly any that are Certified compared to GM cars.

2012-13 Ford Fusion-Drove a 2013 when I drove the Taurus. Had the ecoboost 1.6. I really don't want to consider a 4 banger because of longevity concerns, but was surprised by the power it had. Also worried about longevity for the turbocharger, especially being such a recent technology for this engine. I think it's a bit too small inside for three kids. I could opt for the 2012 V6, but then I've read the transmission for that engine has issues unless opting for the Sport version.

2012-14 Chevy Impala-2012 is too boring, and they are almost all rentals. 2014 is out of the price range being so new.

2012-2013 Chevy Malibu-2012 is a bit too boring, and again rather small. 2013 has no V6.

Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger-It's Chrysler

2013 Honda Accord-CVT transmission sounds iffy. Also a new tech transmission anyway.

2012 Lincoln MKZ-Really a glorified Fusion, but a little more expensive. Doesn't have the transmission issues though.

2014 Mazda Mazda6-A little too expensive. Some complaints about thin paint. No nearby service dealer.

2012-13 Nissan Maxima-Same transmission sort of issues as the Accord. paint sounds iffy.

2012-13 Volkswagen CC or Passat-No major issues to speak of, but the German cars don't seem to have a good reputation. Sounds like spotty quality and very expensive maintenance. Otherwise, a CC would probably be my #1 choice based on looks.

2011-12 Volvo S60 or S80-no close Volvo dealer and they have a timing belt that needs replacement every 80K miles (I'd have to have it done twice with the miles I drive).

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Hard choice indeed. Since you are looking at used, that gives you even more choices. If you are concerned with new technology....I get that, but we got the 1.6 turbo ecoboost on our Escape and are hoping for the best. Can't be any more problematic then stuff that goes wrong on Enclaves.

If you are looking for a proven vehicle and are willing to "blend in", how about 2012-13 Impala....old version? On W-body, has little newer technology, there are tons out there, probably dirt cheap. You either take new style with new tech, or less style but proven. (Yes...on your list)

Good luck choosing....all nice choices.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, for a while I was thinking 2012-13 Impala. They are rather boring on looks, but pretty inexpensive. But then the closer I've looked, they are inexpensive because 90% of them for sale are former rentals, which I'd rather stay away from. Really, for what you get 2-3 years old, the LaCrosse is hard to beat. The Lincoln MKS is also a pretty decent bargain as well, but they are a little bit more than I want to spend, not to mention a Lincoln would probably be a bit more pricey on maintenance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You don't say what your price range is? And are you tied to a car size or would you consider a CUV like the Equinox or Terrain? or would those be too big for you. If you stay away from the I4s in the MYs 2010-2011 they are decent cars and the V6 gets decent gas mileage..

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking to stay under $22K. I drive 60 miles a day to work and back, so I'm sticking to sedans that get at least 27MPG on the highway. That's the reason I've been looking harder at the cars with 4 cylinder engines.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Me too. It's a somewhat dishonest industry. It's kind of like high school, there is no substitute for doing the work.

I think a lot of people do like to get new cars--I have only purchased 3 new ones in my lifetime, and they are all still in the driveway today. I have comrades who thanks to the beauty of leasing, have had 12-15 in the same timespan. If anyone went back and added up all those payments, what a setback that would be.

Kid Rock once said his only words of wisdom were......well, mine are do you homework, act like a cash buyer (even if you're going to bring your own financing--my friend is not even a member of my credit union but he quoted their rates when getting his last Audi, and the dealer matched 1.49% after jumping online to see the rates), and be willing to walk out the door when it doesn't feel right. Back in driver ed when we were 16, Mr. S***** put his hand on my friend Joey's thigh each and every time Joey had a driving lesson, and it didn't feel right. He didn't say anything about it. Don't be a Joey.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know you drove a Taurus, but Test out an SHO. It is in your price range for a 2011 to 2012. AWD and I guarantee it will put a smile on your face for years to come. My MKS has the same V6 Twin Turbo powerplant and tranny and AWD system as the SHO.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
TSS said:
I know you drove a Taurus, but Test out an SHO. It is in your price range for a 2011 to 2012. AWD and I guarantee it will put a smile on your face for years to come. My MKS has the same V6 Twin Turbo powerplant and tranny and AWD system as the SHO.
Would gas mileage be where he wants it to be on that?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An SHO would be awesome, but I just can't justify it. They run at least $6K more than a comparable SEL/Limited, and about $4-5K more than a LaCrosse. Then you figure they get at least 2MPG worse, and if I don't miss my guess, it requires premium fuel. I just can't justify spending that much for a little pedal fun.

I do have a 1968 Olds Cutlass convertible for that fun. But I haven't been driving it much so it's up for sale. I'm actually toying with the idea of replacing it with a late model Mustang or Camaro that I can use as a daily driver in the warmer months.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I guess I'm a weirdo. Back when I was young, and looking for my first car, I was "dreaming" of a 1997 Ford Taurus. How bizarre when I look back? :confused:

I liked the way it looked, and wanted a Duratec V6 with dual exhaust. Never got one, got a 98 Maxima SE 5-spd instead. Still drive it daily.... :)

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Grimm said:
An SHO would be awesome, but I just can't justify it. They run at least $6K more than a comparable SEL/Limited, and about $4-5K more than a LaCrosse. Then you figure they get at least 2MPG worse, and if I don't miss my guess, it requires premium fuel. I just can't justify spending that much for a little pedal fun.

I do have a 1968 Olds Cutlass convertible for that fun. But I haven't been driving it much so it's up for sale. I'm actually toying with the idea of replacing it with a late model Mustang or Camaro that I can use as a daily driver in the warmer months.
Do you have the Cutlass listed for sale online? Would like to see the listing (photos). :thumb:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took too long getting it cleaned up and a new battery (and trying to decide how much to ask), so it didn't get listed until a couple weeks ago. Probably missed my window for this year. It's a nice car. Just needs a new top, weather stripping, and a few other odd trim pieces replaced to be a really nice car.

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/cto/4638876117.html

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
john 070 said:
I guess I'm a weirdo. Back when I was young, and looking for my first car, I was "dreaming" of a 1997 Ford Taurus. How bizarre when I look back? :confused:

I liked the way it looked, and wanted a Duratec V6 with dual exhaust. Never got one, got a 98 Maxima SE 5-spd instead. Still drive it daily.... :)
Yes, you are odd John. That generation of Taurus was probably my least favorite ;) I think the Maxima was a much better choice. A 2011-2012 Maxima would be one of my top choices if it weren't for a questionable transmission.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Grimm said:
I took too long getting it cleaned up and a new battery (and trying to decide how much to ask), so it didn't get listed until a couple weeks ago. Probably missed my window for this year. It's a nice car. Just needs a new top, weather stripping, and a few other odd trim pieces replaced to be a really nice car.

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/cto/4638876117.html
Very nice! I hope you get all the money.....after all, it's "resale red"! The top...yeah, but just driving it with it down, or in a parade....no one would catch that. Paint looks superior....really nice, and correct wheels look good as well....at least in the pictures. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want.

The VW CC is a very good vehicle, I almost bought one last year. It has been out for a few years so most of the gremlins are out of the system. I have had 2 VW cars and I am happy with them. I have had those vehicles in for service much less the the Buick and Oldsmobile that I had in the same time period. The 2.0T in the cc is a good engine, plenty of torque and good on the gas, I would not get the V6 in the CC, its heavy, eats gas and is not worth the price compared to the 2.0T.

The Honda Accord with the CVT is good for what you want, a reliable daily driver that eats up the miles. I would go test drive one before you write it off the list. Honda does well with the Accord for a reason.

Volvo was sold to a Chinese company...not sure how I feel about that. Volvo rank up with Land Cruisers on my lack of reliability.

The Mazda 6 is a very fun car, lots of drivers like this car.

I don't like Ford and I don't pay attention to them.

Used car prices have been very high lately, sometimes a new car ends up being just a little more compared to the used and you get some advantages with a a new car 1) factory incentives (financing or money off up front) 2) the full warranty 3)your choice of options/colors. I did hear on NPR this morning that used car prices should start to fall soon as more people are able to afford new cars vs used. Also now is a good time for 2014 model year closeouts as the 2015 are hitting the floor.

Good luck, let us know what you get. Also don't over analyze the data you get from the internet, sometimes having your butt in the seat is the true determination factor.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've driven the new VW Passat and I'm really impressed. It's made in the USA and that back seat area is huge. I'm 5'11 and I adjust the front seat the way I would drive and then sat in the back and my legs still had plenty of room. I would look at the 12 or 13's though because you can get the inline 5 cylinder engine. In 2014 they took that engine out and put a turbo 4 cylinder in. I'm not a huge fan of turbo's yet.

·
Registered
440 Posts
gostate said:
I've driven the new VW Passat and I'm really impressed. It's made in the USA and that back seat area is huge. I'm 5'11 and I adjust the front seat the way I would drive and then sat in the back and my legs still had plenty of room. I would look at the 12 or 13's though because you can get the inline 5 cylinder engine. In 2014 they took that engine out and put a turbo 4 cylinder in. I'm not a huge fan of turbo's yet.
The inline 5 was HORRIBLE, the 2.0T is a much better engine and is used frequently across the entire VW platform. If you are going to get a Passat look at the TDI, VW is one of the best in the diesel category.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
timmy said:
The inline 5 was HORRIBLE, the 2.0T is a much better engine and is used frequently across the entire VW platform. If you are going to get a Passat look at the TDI, VW is one of the best in the diesel category.
. My sis in-law's 2k13 lost all its coolant with only 700 miles. Too bad they're no longer made in Germany. Except for base models no stick available. The stick is dying......10 2015 GTI's at the local dealer (wth 33k+ list???), 9 were the auto DSGs,... :angryfire:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Passat was high on my list until I got scared away by maintenance costs. Even the people on the VW forum talk about how bad it is. And I don't know that there is anyone good at servicing them near me (the local dealer has a bad rep).

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Grimm said:
The Passat was high on my list until I got scared away by maintenance costs. Even the people on the VW forum talk about how bad it is. And I don't know that there is anyone good at servicing them near me (the local dealer has a bad rep).
. I test drove a 6 spd manual Passat TDI for $25....ended up going 39 miles I think. It had zero road feel and feather light steering, and felt cheap. But I would like the 50 mpg that my sis in law can achieve with ideal conditions. Just a shame diesel is not cheaper than regular in the USA as it is in the rest of the world...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
9 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing