EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago, I thought Rain-X was wonderful. It shed the rain from my windshield so I hardly had to use my wipers. Which was a good thing, because (I believe) it ate up the rubber wiper blades. So as long as I didn't have to actually use the wipers, it was great. But I disliked having to replace the blades after a few weeks of Rain-X use!

Now, fast forward 20+ years... A couple of weeks ago, my windshield was covered with a thin smeary film that made it difficult to see on a rainy night. So, I stopped at the local Wal-Mart to see what was available to clear my vision. After a long several minutes of perusing products, reading labels, trying to sort out ridiculous claims from some truth, and throwing darts blindfolded at the shelf, I bought my first Rain-X product in two decades. It is a windshield cleaner, promising to clear all greasy film from my line of sight, and to shed further rains.

Before I climbed back into my 'Clave, I applied the spray to the greasy, filmy windshield. By the time I arrived at home, the results were remarkable! I could see with hitherto unattainable clarity. It was a *Wow* moment.

Well, here I am 10 days later... My wipers now leave not only a film, but water droplets - no, water smears - all over the windshield. I have even cleaned the wiper blades to remove any road grease (yup, I used the Rain-X on a paper towel to clean the blades - stupid!). Now, it is impossible to see out day or night if there is any rain at all. I hate Rain-X!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wow. I've never really had a problem using Rain-X. I apply it to the windshield and let it dry to a haze. Then the most important thing to do is spray the windshield with a light water mist and buff off the haze from the windshield. I use a dry cotton terry cloth towel for buffing. I also use isoproply alcohol on a paper towel to clean road grease from the wiper blades. I don't seem to have a problem with a smeared up windshield.

CT

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I have not used Rain-X, but it may be that rockyp 's application technique is the problem here. ???

As an aside, the local car wash sprays on a Rain-X product after the rinse cycle, and it does not seem to cause any obvious problems with the windshield. While it does yield a mild water repelling effect, I think that version of the product is designed to act as a surface protectant rather than a water repellent, and I still need to use the windshield wipers in all but the lightest precipitation.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It's all in the application. Used Rain-X for years without ever having a problem. If you follow C-Traz' instructions (same thing I do), you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After your positive comments, I had to keep trying. I applied it again - and again - with the same result. I also used it to clean the wiper blades, but that didn't help.

Well, this morning, I was preparing for a 3 hour drive over a mountain pass where I knew it was raining and snowing, and knew I had to do something. So, I applied the Rain-X again, and this time, I used Simple Green to clean the wiper blades. WOW! that seems to be the right combination. The drive, through very heavy rain and splash from tires, was very pleasant! The wipers worked like I've never seen before!

I'm now a happy camper...

·
Registered
9 Posts
As with the previous advice, C Traz is right on the mark. Been doing it that way for YEARS without a problem. Rain-X does have a product just for the wiper blades which I have also used forever with no problem. Here is where I offer an extra tidbit, if you have a special towel and rag bin that you use over and over again on your vehicles,when you wash them, do them separately and DO NOT use any type of fabric softener for the rinse cycle or in the dryer as they do leave behind chemicals that will cause a slight film to be deposited on glass or paint. However slight, it will be there!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've used Rain-X on everything I own since the product first came on the market years/decades ago. Never, ever had an experience like what is being described. I use it on windshields, side windows, the hard to keep clean rear window on the Enclave, clear headlight covers, helmet faceshields, boat windshields etc. etc. I use the Rain-X windshield washer additive too, it does help.

Make sure you are using two different pieces of material, both very clean, to polish off the applied product after the "haze" appears. It takes some time and elbow grease but the results are absolutely worth it. If you want longer time periods between applications do not remove Rain-X with paper towels which should not be used on any glass surface as the harsh wood fibers in the towel will, over time, actually scratch the glass with very, very fine scratches which only become noticeable with repeated use. Glass that you intend to look through for long periods of time should never be wiped with paper towels.

Use a clean rag to remove the first layer of Rain-X and then polish it clear with a clean terry-cloth towel. Wash both between uses. Lately I have been using microfiber towels which Wally World sells and they do a very good job of removing the final bit of haze. Of course, all this is assuming the vehicle has a "squeaky clean" windshield to begin with....recommend the Windex Multi-Surface cleaner with VINEGAR which is much superior to their product containing Ammonia. You may have to look a while to find the VINEGAR product but it's well worth the search.

G

·
I was going to post basically teh same thing C-Traz posted. The application makes all the difference with Rain-X. Years ago, I bought some and was using it on my G35, my wife used it on her Acadia and complained the next day about how lousy Rain-X was, while my windows were perfectly clean. She basically didn't allow it to haze and (I suspect) "wiped it off" with the same cloth she put it on with, without much effort.

If done properly, rain-x requires fairly serious elbow grease to apply properly, but IMO, if done right the results are fantastic.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
admin said:
...If done properly, rain-x requires fairly serious elbow grease to apply properly, but IMO, if done right the results are fantastic.
Agree... Have been using for years & your results depend on proper application...

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have traveled extensively using Rain-X. When others were pulling off under Overpasses and to the side of the road, I was able to keep going with no problem. I'm a firm believer in Rain-X. Rocketman 8)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't used Rain-X in many years - not since I found a product called Aquapel. Aquapel takes about 10 minutes to apply to a windshield and it lasts for four-to-six months. It aids in bug and ice removal in those seasons, but it really shines in the rain. It is a water repellent that causes water to bead up and roll up and off the windshield. At speeds of 45 mph and higher, you can usually drive without using your wipers at all, unless the rain has stopped and all you're getting is road spray. Aquapel is only effective on glass, as far as I know.

It is available at some online auto supply sites and is sold by numerous vendors on eBay.

G

·
Mike JL - Interesting. I hadn't heard of this product, but found a Rain X vs Aquapel youtube clip where someone treated each half of their windshield with each product and documented the results for several months. Check it out...

·
Registered
37 Posts
admin -

Unfortunately, I can't check a youtube clip at work, so I'll have to wait until this evening. I don't know what the clip shows, but I have used both and I can say from personal experience that there is no comparison between the two products. Aquapel is in a whole different league for performance and longevity.

G

·
That's pretty much what the youtube clips reveals as well. They both start out pretty similar, but the rain X gives up LONG before the aquapel on this guy's car. Where did you buy it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
eBay. There are numerous vendors there selling various quantities. You can generally get it for about $4-5 per application including shipping, based on the quantity you purchase. I usually buy enough for two applications per car per year, including my kids' cars. It's a cheap present for them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMO it's a "you get what you pay for" product. First mistake I see that you made was putting it on a windshield that hadn't been prepped for it.

To prep a windshield you need a bottle of ammonia and alcohol free window cleaner and a bar of clay. First clean the window as usual to get excess dirt off. Then you want to use the window cleaner as your clay lube and clay the windshield using enough force to remove ALL the contaminates. After you've clayed it and re wash with straight window cleaner and thoroughly dry. Then grab an applicator and apply your product of choice and remove when hazed. If you continue to have issues take some 1000 grit sand paper and lightly draw it across your blades to rough them up ever so slightly.

I use ALL Adams products and have had VERY good luck with them. Fact is... If you don't like it... He'll give you 110% of your money back and pay shipping back.

Check out a VERY off the cuff video he took of his new product when he released it.

See it in action with a video I took of it on my VERY well worn windshield. I have this product on all three of my cars with not ONE issue.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I know this is an old topic, but one other suggestion is that if you use a sealant on your paint, just use it on the windshield as well. I tried it once, and lasted a couple months like the RainX.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Rain-X is less than a dollar per application and lasts about 4-6 months. I've used it for years and never prepared the glass except to have it clean before Rain-X application, which takes about five minutes. Here in Wisconsin, in winter months, removal of ice on the windows can be a challenge. Rain-X makes that job a little easier since the ice doesn't adhere to the glass as much as it does without Rain-X. And, yes you can drive without the wipers in a rainstorm with Rain-X on the windows.

I use it on my boat windshield also, since there are no wipers. I've also used it on my snowmobile windshield and helmet "window" with good results.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts