EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
No doubt about it, the water repellents will repel water and practically no one would argue the fact that they are marvelous as long as the wipers aren't being used and/or your speed is above 45MPH or so.

So here's my two cents and it's just my opinion; I could be wrong, so feel free to chime in with your experiences, too: The problems I encountered are all the times I'm going *slower* than 45MPH, such as typical city driving in the rain and obviously needing the wipers at these lower speeds. :banghead: Try compounding that with night driving and the stuff seems to be a true hazard, especially when the wipers counter the repellent effects so that the rain water droplets break into tiny beads that can seriously obscure anyone's vision. :angryfire: I've heard the same from others, too... Outside of that, yep it's wonderful stuff for wiperless windshields, boats, airplanes, jets and other craft that rarely spend any 'quality' time in traffic or stay at low speeds for long periods.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've used Rain-X for several years with no problems. I use the wipers in slower city driving and on the highway. No smearing whatsoever. When I have problems, it's when the Rain-X has worn off. And I don't go through wipers often either. I usually have a pair on a car for up to a couple years.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree with Grimm. My '09 Enclave is a little more than two years old and has original wipers. They work as well as when new. The windshield has had Rain-X on it since the car was new.

There is no problem with Rain-X smearing when the wipers are running and the vehicle speed is less than 45 mph. I really wish those of you who are naysayers would try Rain-X on a windshield with decent wiper blades and then make your comments.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Speaking of wiper blade lifespan, my Enclave still has the factory installed blades, and they still work pretty well. I do not use any water repellent. How long should blades normally last, and how much longer do they tend to last with water repellent applied to the windshield?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Mine are more than three years old & still work fine... The weather down here has eaten blades on other vehicles we've owned - usually replace annually...

Definitely will go with same blades when/if these wear out... ;D

Have used Rain-X off & on since purchased & doesn't seem to have affected life of blades...

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I have had my Enclave for just over 3 years, and the wiper blades seems almost new, too. I would love to get more of the same when I finally need to replace them. My experience in the past is that the replacement blades do not last even remotely as long as any factory installed wiper blades on any car that I've owned. I hope that OEM replacement blades for the Enclave do as well as the factory mounted blades have.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Anyone who has owned a new car and pays attention to maintenance items knows that OEM wiper blades last for years, while replacements (not matter what quality you buy), fail after about a year. Below is a list of other maintenance items' experience I've had.

OEM shocks or struts last about 125,000 miles. Replacements last 50K or less.
Original batteries have lasted for me up to 7 years. The longest I've had a replacement battery last was four years.
I had 72,000 miles on the OEM tires on my 2000 Bonneville SSei before they needed replacement. Traded it at 90,00 miles so I don't know how long they lasted. But, in general, the original tires last almost twice as long as replacements, regardless of warranty.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
HUMMM I had to replace the original wipers on my 07 Outlook last winter.

Battery usually 5 years which is when I replaced the one on the VUE

Tires have NEVER been able to get that many miles off a tire which was on the vehicle new. 40,000 to 50,000 is when I replace them.

As for shocks/struts can't answer because I have not had to replace these on any of my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
My experience mimics Sailfish's, more or less. The only comment I want to add is that my factory wipers tend to last about 3 or so years on most cars, while the replacements tend to be good for only about 11/2 to 2 years generally.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
My experience mimics Sailfish's, more or less. The only comment I want to add is that my factory wipers tend to last about 3 or so years on most cars, while the replacements tend to be good for only about 11/2 to 2 years generally.
Stop buying refurbished blades from streetside vendors, Goldie... >:D

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Hey that is a reflection on me...LOL!!!!

Okay just to clarify things I don't buy from street vendors...unless it is a hotdog vendor. ;)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Sailfish said:
Hey that is a reflection on me...LOL!!!!

Okay just to clarify things I don't buy from street vendors...unless it is a hotdog vendor. ;)
You obviously have never lived in Japan, or Korea, or Vietnam or... :beer:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
LOL nope. Although there is an area downtown Dayton, "The Oregon District", fun place with restaurants and bars and bars and bars. Anyway there would be street vendors. One of those was a Chinese vendor and I loved their egg rolls.

Ming Tsai of the Food Channel lived in Dayton with his family back in the 80's. Loved their food and now I watch his show when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
wow I thought I was the only guy with Rain X issues..guess not...ran across that smearing at night many many years ago...never have looked back

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have to wonder if something else is causing the smearing once it interacts with the Rain-X. It does look a bit smeared after application if you don't go over it with water, but after a rain or using the washer fluid it's fine. I've never had any issue with it on multiple cars.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I dunno what caused as it was sooooooo long ago and I never gave it another chance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rain-X almost killed me. My mistake was applying it when temperatures were too low. I did not realize the consequences would be that I would not be able to see anything at all when it rained. I drove home several miles with my head out the window. It tooks a lot of scrubbing with methanol to get the rain-x off of my windows. I would never try that product again.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts